Portsmouth trojans and the s.o.c

noles_fan
S

Re: Portsmouth trojans and the s.o.c

Post by noles_fan »

sportsfan43 wrote:
siderman wrote:Portsmouth will never be voted into the SOC or the OVC. It takes a unanimous vote and they will never get that.
Just to be frank, Portsmouth's football program is dying the slow death. Because of the past, their isn't alot of tears being shed for them. They want to leave the SEOAL because of travel, but more than anything because they can't win consistantly. No small league like the OVC is gonna let them in, and because most leagues play their conference games in weeks 6-10 they won't be able to schedule local teams late in the year if they go independent. Ironton will soon realize this same problem. Only thing, Ironton can go out of the area and win some games against better teams.
wrong, as ....O.V.C. = DONE DEAL....ALREADY BEEN TO THE MEETING already accepeted to replace River Valley, now If I was Portsmouth I would drop all the S.O.C. teams, money or no money , they dont want you in , move on
Thats fine with us we aint been able to get any points from them in the last few years anyway.

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

So for the trojans to join the SOC2 even the SOC 1 schools have to agree ? I would think the bylaws of the conference are screwed up. 75 or 80 % of the participating schools should be enough---not 100% . MD

sportsfan43
JV Team

Post by sportsfan43 »

noles_fan wrote:
sportsfan43 wrote:
siderman wrote:Portsmouth will never be voted into the SOC or the OVC. It takes a unanimous vote and they will never get that.
Just to be frank, Portsmouth's football program is dying the slow death. Because of the past, their isn't alot of tears being shed for them. They want to leave the SEOAL because of travel, but more than anything because they can't win consistantly. No small league like the OVC is gonna let them in, and because most leagues play their conference games in weeks 6-10 they won't be able to schedule local teams late in the year if they go independent. Ironton will soon realize this same problem. Only thing, Ironton can go out of the area and win some games against better teams.
wrong, as ....O.V.C. = DONE DEAL....ALREADY BEEN TO THE MEETING already accepeted to replace River Valley, now If I was Portsmouth I would drop all the S.O.C. teams, money or no money , they dont want you in , move on
Thats fine with us we aint been able to get any points from them in the last few years anyway.

well,Im sure Portsmouth feels bad about costing you points,and from keeping you from winning that state title.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

ManitouDan wrote:So for the trojans to join the SOC2 even the SOC 1 schools have to agree ? I would think the bylaws of the conference are screwed up. 75 or 80 % of the participating schools should be enough---not 100% . MD

SOC 1's mix with the SOC 2's in every sport except football. So they have a dog in the fight also. You know all of these AD's converse. From a conversation I had with a guy that would know, it sounded like it was more than 1 school. I'm not sure it isn't more to do with basketball and other sports more than football.

noles_fan
S

Post by noles_fan »

Wow sportsfan43 i guess i could've just mentioned that in the last 2 years Northwest has won more games than Portsmouth. I was replying to your comment about Portsmouth should drop the SOC schools on their schedule. When they should be glad that they still play them at all. Lets be honest
here it all comes down to getting enough points to not only get you to the playoffs but a first round home game. We all remember it hasn't been that
many years since Valley would have to go 10-0 just to make the playoffs, thats why they pushed to make the latteral move to the SOCII. So yes I stand buy what I said if they want to go let them we need to revamp our whole non-conference schedule anyway.

kahn
Freshman Team

Post by kahn »

This was such a frustrating issue to cover when I worked at the PDT.

It had so much interest surrounding it, and such weird context to someone like me that wasn't from the area.

From an outside perspective, a school roughly the size of other schools in a league that completely surrounds them and would bring good gates and rivalries wanted to join a league.

The league's response? Buzz off. I can think of valid reasons for saying no, but reasons are never officially given.

Here's what I really, really, really, really, really, don't understand. Why the SOC policy that keeps voting results secret?

Bring it out into the light of day. If it's an SOC I basketball only school holding things up, tell the world. If it's a football power that's holding a grudge, let it be known.

They tried to join four times now. If they try again, at least let them know who is saying no.

And if the issue is the past, then the voters are just mean. Don't make Portsmouth kids sit on 4 hour bus rides for the alleged sins of their fathers.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Joining the SOC isn't going to fix Portsmouth's problems. They are playing West and Wheelersburg. Next year they are playing Valley I believe. Minford will play them. They have in the past and right now they are better than Portsmouth.

The only 2 games they would pick up are Waverly and Northwest, which are bad-bad. If they leave the SEOAL, GAHS and Jackson will drop them just like they are Ironton. They will have just as much trouble getting games if they are in the SOC II.

Wasn't that long ago that Portsmouth was a big school. It could be again with possible consolidations or 1 big business. Wouldn't take much to have a large D2 school playing in a league of D5's. So if Portsmouth outgrows the rest of the schools, are they gonna leave?

Fact is they are not wanted in the SOC. That has been made it very clear. Maybe the other schools are scared of a Portsmouth's potential? Maybe it is past transgressions? Maybe the other schools see Portsmouth struggling and like it? Maybe they don't feel it is Portsmouth's "RIGHT" to be in the SOC just because they are from here? Maybe it's a party invitation only, and your just not wanted?

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

i strongly agree Kahn , make the votes public.

siderman --as far as mixing in other sports could you explain a little on what you mean. I'm an ND guy , we dont compete for league titles in any sport (except swimming golf ? ?) against burg, waverly, west etc ..

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

PS siderman --yes joining the SOC won't fix p-town's problems but it sure helps cover a lot of surface issues, such as travel time, games that absolutely no one cares about , small gates etc etc... MD

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Being a Burg fan, I've never had a problem with them joining the SOC. I think they should be put into the SOC II and then move NW(probably in football only) down to the SOC I where they could compete for a league title. Face it, if NW stays in the SOC II in football, will they ever win a title? If they beat Symmes Valley tonight, this year they would have had a decent shot of winning the SOC I title.

I don't think Portsmouth would have trouble scheduling non-league opponnents as they would still play Jackson, Ironton and maybe a few of the OVC teams.

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

NW will not leave SV with a W tonight....not gonna happen MD

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

well, here we go again. At least twice a yeaR for an entire decade we rehash this subject.Portsmouth will never recieve a unanimis vote and therefore will never get in the SOC. Ive always thought that it has been a number of no votes not just a single decenter. Bad blood is a problem, but its not arrogance of the past, its political, remember the heated discussions when East was almost forced to move into the Portsmouth system...etc etc etc..
One thing is certain, something MUST be done, the cost of running athletic programs is getting way to expensive,and the revenue is not there when you bring in teams from Cin, Col etc that never travel.
I hated the move to the SEOAL,It may have been a bandaid on the whole scheduling issue, but as we see from this years Portsmouth football slate it has been far from a perfect fit.
What lies ahead, I have no idea, But Portsmouth football isnt dead! Just in hibernation

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

noles_fan wrote:Wow sportsfan43 i guess i could've just mentioned that in the last 2 years Northwest has won more games than Portsmouth. I was replying to your comment about Portsmouth should drop the SOC schools on their schedule. When they should be glad that they still play them at all. Lets be honest
here it all comes down to getting enough points to not only get you to the playoffs but a first round home game. We all remember it hasn't been that
many years since Valley would have to go 10-0 just to make the playoffs, thats why they pushed to make the latteral move to the SOCII. So yes I stand buy what I said if they want to go let them we need to revamp our whole non-conference schedule anyway.
I can respect that Northwest has won more games then Portsmouth over the last couple of years,,and I am happy for them, they have always been one of the largest scools in the area...how ever, I dont think that would be true, had they played the same schedule we have over the last few years either.

I will continue going and supporting all the trojan games no matter what, or who is coaching or where we are playing ,because bottom line, I enjoy watching the games

maniac66
All State

Post by maniac66 »

If Kentucky didn't have district play requirements a cure would and could be fixed with a revival of the OKAC but that isn't now or in the future unfortunately Portsmouth just happens to be in a spot where there is no where to go.
The OVC maybe thinking of taking them down the road slim chance sure but it's there at least.
We know the SOC does not want them why anyone's guess bad blood history of big brother little brother attitudes don't matter what it is really.
The SEOAL is it for now but it spread out and fragile in many ways and when they joined it was also bigger with two divisions.
So where do they go not many choices independent is rough and if local schools quit playing you then you have to go further and pay the price for it.
So many schools so close and yet so far in attitude it's not funny.

noles_fan
S

Post by noles_fan »

FIDO wrote:
biggdowgg wrote:
noles_fan wrote:Wow sportsfan43 i guess i could've just mentioned that in the last 2 years Northwest has won more games than Portsmouth. I was replying to your comment about Portsmouth should drop the SOC schools on their schedule. When they should be glad that they still play them at all. Lets be honest
I can respect that Northwest has won more games then Portsmouth over the last couple of years,,and I am happy for them, they have always been one of the largest scools in the area...how ever, I dont think that would be true, had they played the same schedule we have over the last few years either.I will continue going and supporting all the trojan games no matter what, or who is coaching or where we are playing ,because bottom line, I enjoy watching the games
This is a fact and you are one ignorant jose if you think otherwise..Northwest couldn't hold the jock strap of Freshmen at Ptown, let alone Varsity players..
You should go back and reread the earlier posts! The point being made was that sportsfan43 wanted to take a shot at West program for not winning state a few years back. So I took it upon myself to point out a simple fact that we have gotten more computer points from Northwest than Portsmouth. The way things are shaping up it could be the same this year. I never said in any of my post that Northwest could beat Portsmouth. So please make sure you know the context of the post before you comment on them.

live4sport
JV Team

Post by live4sport »

I have said it in previous years and I will say it again this year...It's not the SOCII football schools keeping portsmouth out. It is the smaller schools and it has nothing to do with football. my brother is a coach and he votes and knows how most of the other schools vote and why they do it. I think last year when it came up it was a combo deal with Portsmouth and maybe S. Gallia going to SOCI? Nobody wanted S. Gallia so the vote was a definite no. Soccer has a lot to do with it also from what I understand but if it was a football only decision they would be in.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

As long as the SOC I schools are allowed to vote the Trojans will never make it in the SOC. Though these small schools would never play the Trojans in football or basketball, at least in boys sports, they would probably play them in other sports and they don't want anything to do with that to contend for a league title. Most of them play Porstmouth in other sports anyway, but not for a league title.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

The OVC isn't a done deal, is it? I thought I read where it had to be a unanimous vote and I don't see all of the schools voting them in.

maniac66
All State

Post by maniac66 »

OVC needs to allow them in losing River Valley they need a replacement and Portsmouth would be a good one but who knows what they will do.

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

I heard they already voted and junior high starts next year, then the Varsity a year or two behind them.

Return to “Football”