Portsmouth trojans and the s.o.c

handwash77
Waterboy

Portsmouth trojans and the s.o.c

Post by handwash77 »

Ive always been curious and im sure you men and women can answer this. why is p.h.s not or ever been in the s.o.c? years ago we were a force and posted a threat but over the past few years the teams in the s.o.c seem to put up a really good challenge. west and burg is a easy example. is it a money thing or do the area teams not want us? thanks

wipala
Varsity

Re: Portsmouth trojans and the s.o.c

Post by wipala »

I think that some would say that PHS is paying for past transgressions..I recall when PHS was in the GOL, they were playing schools that to this day are still doing awesome, i.e Middletown. I can remember in the late 50's or very early 60's everyone was calling for PHS to play West,,well we did and beat them two striaght years something like 45 or so to 0. Now the shoe is on the other foot, West is beating PHS, IMO, really easily..Some will not let the old days go..PHS needs to be in the SOC, it is a league they could compete in and hold their own..will not even talk about the cost savings and the inceasred gates..Whenever the ones that are not voting for PHS get over their #$%&# PHS will never get into the league.....But it sure is fun to talk about...

handwash77
Waterboy

Post by handwash77 »

I agree wipala, the past leaves scars type deal. the savings would be huge. and i see some good games from the soc valley for one. we are a local team and i personally think we should be in a local conference.

wipala
Varsity

Post by wipala »

Thanks handwash77, keep hopeing and maybe someday we will se it happen..I know on this forum many times this subject has come up..sure is fun..what a league the soc 2 would be with phs and ironton in it with west, burg, minford, valley and whomever..good gates every game, good built in rivarlies, and most of the times good games. The days of PHS being the big city team are long gone..I recall when PHS first played the Burg at the Spartan, Roger Merb was coach and Ed Miller, who I sure wish PHS had hired, was coach at the Burg,,Burg won the game.. the interesting part was the the Times sports guy, Chris Chambliss, wrote the game up as the poor little country team playing the big city boys...Wonder what he would say now,,,

osu 77
All State

Post by osu 77 »

My thoughts are 10 years ago Portsmouth thought they were so much better than the teams in the SOCII and made it well know like a few other teams. Now the SOC does not want to have anything to do with them.

mglight88
SE

Post by mglight88 »

If only the SOC schools in Division II would vote, Portsmouth would have been added to the conference a long time ago when they first applied. The only team to not of played Portsmouth at one point or another is Northwest.
What has killed Portsmouth getting in, has been the number of no votes from the smaller schools in Division I.
I have always thought Portsmouth in the SOC II would be a great thing, both gate wise for the schools and the atmosphere having another local team to play without to much travel involving scheduling...
Just my 2 cents...

osu 77
All State

Post by osu 77 »

Good point but the teams cross over in all other sports except football.

handwash77
Waterboy

Post by handwash77 »

mglight88 wrote:If only the SOC schools in Division II would vote, Portsmouth would have been added to the conference a long time ago when they first applied. The only team to not of played Portsmouth at one point or another is Northwest.
What has killed Portsmouth getting in, has been the number of no votes from the smaller schools in Division I.
I have always thought Portsmouth in the SOC II would be a great thing, both gate wise for the schools and the atmosphere having another local team to play without to much travel involving scheduling...
Just my 2 cents...
im confused, so do other schools have to vote for phs to get in like different divisions? if so thats insane, i would of thought it was the soc schools.

FarAwayFalcon
Varsity

Post by FarAwayFalcon »

handwash77 wrote:
mglight88 wrote:If only the SOC schools in Division II would vote, Portsmouth would have been added to the conference a long time ago when they first applied. The only team to not of played Portsmouth at one point or another is Northwest.
Just my 2 cents...
im confused, so do other schools have to vote for phs to get in like different divisions? if so thats insane, i would of thought it was the soc schools.
Yes. As I understand it, for a member to be added it would have to be a unanimous vote of approval by all schools in the SOC I and II.

As someone said earlier I think some schools still don't want PHS in because of the past. As for right now though I wouldn't be worried about Portsmouth dominating any one sport in the SOC. Certainly they would be near the top in some but it's not like they would run away with things like might have been the case 20 years ago.

I have also heard that Portsmouth not having boys soccer is a pretty big sticking point.

maniac66
All State

Post by maniac66 »

Portsmouth will be in the OVC before it get's in the SOC they just don't like Portsmouth and they don't deny it.
True they play a few of the teams in the SOC already but they don't want to see Portsmouth winning any kind of SOC tittle

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Portsmouth will never be voted into the SOC or the OVC. It takes a unanimous vote and they will never get that.

Just to be frank, Portsmouth's football program is dying the slow death. Because of the past, their isn't alot of tears being shed for them. They want to leave the SEOAL because of travel, but more than anything because they can't win consistantly. No small league like the OVC is gonna let them in, and because most leagues play their conference games in weeks 6-10 they won't be able to schedule local teams late in the year if they go independent. Ironton will soon realize this same problem. Only thing, Ironton can go out of the area and win some games against better teams.

handwash77
Waterboy

Post by handwash77 »

What about a idea of a s.o.c 3? maybe phs,ironton,jackson, and a few close schools. besides notre dame and green cause there div 6 i really think any of the other schools would give us a game, that cincy school or whatever this year we have scheduled is a div 6 i read.

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

any idea which school (s) keep ptown from getting in ? they are a natural fit , they need to be in .

handwash77
Waterboy

Post by handwash77 »

ManitouDan wrote:any idea which school (s) keep ptown from getting in ? they are a natural fit , they need to be in .

im no smart man but my guess is oak hill, green, notre dame. the smaller schools. why would west, burg care they beat us about every year now anyway.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

i've heard portsmouth is heading to the ovc.

maniac66
All State

Post by maniac66 »

You're Tiger Bait wrote:i've heard portsmouth is heading to the ovc.
I think the OVC will take them the only school that may oppose would be Rock hill I think chesy likes to play them already don't see Coal Grove saying no and Fairland would like the gate I think and with River Valley leaving the need someone to come in.
If nothing else they may want Portsmouth say ha ha we took them but not you Ironton lol.
Never know South point I see not fight there either with Portsmouth be a good fit for the OVC

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

Chesapeake will want Portsmouth in for basketball reasons. Prior to the last five years or so no OVC school could compete with Portsmouth in football on a regular basis. We played Chesapeake for a number of years and never lost, actually I can’t remember the last or if we have ever lost to an OVC school. I don’t know if it’s a good fit really, if PHS continues to stay down sure, it’s a great fit, but if we return to anywhere close to the 2002 and prior form PHS walks away with the title most years in my opinion.

Below PHS vs OVC last few years
2009 PHS beats South Pointe 28-14
2008 1-9 PHS beats South Pointe 28-15
2007 8-2 PHS beats Peake 60-13
2006 3-7 PHS beats Peake 77-44
2005 2-8 PHS beats Peake 27-20
2004 8-2 PHS Beats OVC champ Peake 47-6
2003 4-6 PHS beats 8-2 OVC champ Peake 20-6
2002 11-2 PHS beats 9-4 OVC champ regional finalist Peake 48-8

sportsfan43
JV Team

Post by sportsfan43 »

siderman wrote:Portsmouth will never be voted into the SOC or the OVC. It takes a unanimous vote and they will never get that.
Just to be frank, Portsmouth's football program is dying the slow death. Because of the past, their isn't alot of tears being shed for them. They want to leave the SEOAL because of travel, but more than anything because they can't win consistantly. No small league like the OVC is gonna let them in, and because most leagues play their conference games in weeks 6-10 they won't be able to schedule local teams late in the year if they go independent. Ironton will soon realize this same problem. Only thing, Ironton can go out of the area and win some games against better teams.
wrong, as ....O.V.C. = DONE DEAL....ALREADY BEEN TO THE MEETING already accepeted to replace River Valley, now If I was Portsmouth I would drop all the S.O.C. teams, money or no money , they dont want you in , move on

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

sportsfan43 wrote:
siderman wrote:Portsmouth will never be voted into the SOC or the OVC. It takes a unanimous vote and they will never get that.
wrong, as ....O.V.C. = DONE DEAL....ALREADY BEEN TO THE MEETING already accepeted to replace River Valley, now If I was Portsmouth I would drop all the S.O.C. teams, money or no money , they dont want you in , move on

Would not be a smart move. Who would they play then since they would already be playing the OVC teams? Are they going to travel 2-3 hours away to play a game.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

sportsfan43 wrote:
From the other site: so NO it isn't a done deal

the middle school level the OVC schools are putting them on the schedule the next two years in place of River Valley who is leaving, then the pricipals are going to vote after the two years and it has to be a unanimous decision, I don't see it happening especially if they end up beating some of the teams. I would much rather drive to Ports. than River Valley though!

I asked the AD and he said yes that Portsmouth is wanting in and yes it does have to be a unanimous decision. He also said that two schools are already saying no. (These two are good in a few sports areas but couldn't compete in most sports) That is why they will probably vote no. SP boys would be competitive or superior to Ports. in almost all sports except football ( right now in the HS level)
On the girls side we would be superior in just about every sport but maybe track. It is what it is!

Return to “Football”