Wheelersburg 68 Portsmouth 14

BigTime
JV Team

Re: Wheelersburg 68 Portsmouth 14

Post by BigTime »

BigOrangeOne wrote:
BigTime wrote:
BigOrangeOne wrote:And 7 of your 14 was scored by your starting QB and WR against subs.
Don't take anything away from that second TD. That kid was making plays when the starters were in the game. That TD was a great play, he went up and over one defender and broke the tackle of the second defender. Then to top it all off he out ran the third kid 30 yards to the endzone. Give the kid a little credit for trying to compete on every play no matter what the score. I think we will be fine this week and several teams on the remainder of the schedule will pay for this lose. Trojans will win 7 games and make the playoffs this year. That's been my prediction all along and I'm staying with it. Go Trojans.

I in no way meant to demean the boy or the play. It was a nice pass, catch and run by anybody's standards. I was just pointing out to Trojan_Football_Alum that Wheelersburg didn't keep their starters in to run up the score and hold the Trojans down when I said that the play was against subs.
All the boys, both sides, played their hearts out and are to be highly commended for just being out there. It was a good game that just happened to take a better turn for one team and not the other.
I apologize if any Trojans took it as a putdown.

I understand BigOrangeOne;
I do think it's our responsiblily to stop the Burg. I posted on here earlier that the Burg kids on the second and third string cant be expected to just sit down. They want to play and score to and I understand that. I just don't want people to say that every kid on that team quit playing hard that night. Their were several kids still giving it their all until they were taken out. And to me that shows character in those kids and is a life lesson. That's all I was trying to say. I wish the Burg luck the rest of the season and feel the Trojans will rebound and play well versus Jackson this week. Which every win will only help Burg in the standing for computer points. I think we will still win 7 games this year and should help Burg get a #1 seed come playoff time.

seven40
Riding the Bench

Post by seven40 »

I put together a slideshow of photos from the game.
You can watch it here: http://blip.tv/file/2603204

Warning: Hard Rock Music inside :)

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

[/quote]
I do think it's our responsiblily to stop the Burg. I posted on here earlier that the Burg kids on the second and third string cant be expected to just sit down. They want to play and score to and I understand that. I just don't want people to say that every kid on that team quit playing hard that night. Their were several kids still giving it their all until they were taken out. And to me that shows character in those kids and is a life lesson. That's all I was trying to say. I wish the Burg luck the rest of the season and feel the Trojans will rebound and play well versus Jackson this week. Which every win will only help Burg in the standing for computer points. I think we will still win 7 games this year and should help Burg get a #1 seed come playoff time.[/quote]

That would be nice if the Burg would get a #1 seed. Then if they would happen to win the first round playoff game they might just play the second round at the coliseum.

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

BigOrangeOne wrote:Take away the two scores Wheelersburg subs made and that makes it 54-14... a difference of 40 points.... fewer than the 45-0 you mentioned beating them in 2000. And 7 of your 14 was scored by your starting QB and WR against subs. My goodness, what more do you expect them to do, play the waterboy?? The starters worked hard all week too in preparation of this game and they want and deserve to play too and truthfully they need the reps. Surely you don't expect them to go sit down after the 1st quarter do you ?
I saw the game and I sincerely believe the score could easily been 88-7 if they had wanted.
No disrespect meant but I think you got off pretty easy myself.

It was just one of those games where everything went right for one side and wrong for the other side. It happens now and then. I'm certain that it wasn't Wheelersburg's intention to embarrass anybody at all.

Ok first of all I said I do not blame the Burg for the score it is our job to stop them, and we did not. I just mentioned the 2000 game as a mutual point of reference for an example of the use of a continues clock.

In reference to the comments about there only being a 40 point difference between the 2 starting units which is less then the 45 point difference in the 2000 game. Your math is correct, however I assure you that the Trojans were using plenty of subs and reserve players during this game, and used the continues clock. This was done because we didn't want to embarrass the Burg, and we both had playoffs the next week, so no need to take a chance getting a kid hurt.

In rebuttal to the comment that Burg could have beaten us 88-7 Friday night if they wanted to, I don't know they very well could have if they wanted to try and run it up. I will say that I think the Trojans could have done the same or worse to the Burg in 2000, but there is no need to do that to an opponent.

I will also say that sometimes these things just happen, I can think of a game in 98 when we put 76 on a team from West Virginia, and were playing freshmen from the 2nd quarter on. I think are boys got down a little bit and folded up shop for the most part. I know several were still playing hard, but as a team they had conceded the loss. I hope this doesn't happen again.

Burg is the real deal, best of luck the rest of the year. Hope to see you playing in the Coliseum in week 12, and/or 13.

Portsmouth98
All State

Post by Portsmouth98 »

BTW, have they officially applied to OHSAA for the Coliseum to be used in the playoffs.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

yabbadabbadoo wrote:

I do think it's our responsiblily to stop the Burg. I posted on here earlier that the Burg kids on the second and third string cant be expected to just sit down. They want to play and score to and I understand that. I just don't want people to say that every kid on that team quit playing hard that night. Their were several kids still giving it their all until they were taken out. And to me that shows character in those kids and is a life lesson. That's all I was trying to say. I wish the Burg luck the rest of the season and feel the Trojans will rebound and play well versus Jackson this week. Which every win will only help Burg in the standing for computer points. I think we will still win 7 games this year and should help Burg get a #1 seed come playoff time.[/quote]

That would be nice if the Burg would get a #1 seed. Then if they would happen to win the first round playoff game they might just play the second round at the coliseum.[/quote]

some people say it isnt big enough 8)

Portsmouth98
All State

Post by Portsmouth98 »

biggdowgg wrote:
yabbadabbadoo wrote:

I do think it's our responsiblily to stop the Burg. I posted on here earlier that the Burg kids on the second and third string cant be expected to just sit down. They want to play and score to and I understand that. I just don't want people to say that every kid on that team quit playing hard that night. Their were several kids still giving it their all until they were taken out. And to me that shows character in those kids and is a life lesson. That's all I was trying to say. I wish the Burg luck the rest of the season and feel the Trojans will rebound and play well versus Jackson this week. Which every win will only help Burg in the standing for computer points. I think we will still win 7 games this year and should help Burg get a #1 seed come playoff time.

That would be nice if the Burg would get a #1 seed. Then if they would happen to win the first round playoff game they might just play the second round at the coliseum.[/quote]

some people say it isnt big enough 8)[/quote]

ROFLMAO

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

I don't think the size of the stadium would hurt them as much as parking would. Other than the school is there other large parking lots close to the school so people wouldn't have to try and park on the streets near the stadium. From the pictures I saw the visitors side doesn't look much bigger than it was at Spartan and I never thought that was big enough.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

I havent heard much complaining about parking for the first two games,,,and them was some huge crowds......

people realy ned to take a walk around the school on foot to se how much parking there really is,,yeah, you may have to walk acros the street,,but still better then a lot of places.

I remember walking very long distances at a couple play of games I went to just last year,and year before.

the church has parking spots all the way around it....it cost 3 bucks,,,but...when you go to a play of game,,you will be paying anyway

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

Thanks biggdowgg. I haven't been to the new stadium yet and I didn't realize there was that much parking around it. That's a good thing, maybe they'll use it instead of Spartan.

FaberGrad62
JV Team

Post by FaberGrad62 »

I think the visitors side at Spartan held way more than the new stadium and ther was more room to move around.

That was my only complaint that there just wasn't enough room. I'm short and my knees were right in the back of the person sitting in front of me and the lady behind sat sideways to give herself more room.

drrabbit
All State

Post by drrabbit »

The visitor seating was much better at Spartan--both in size and view. The lower seats are bad with the view obstructed constantly by people walking by shrinking an already limited seating and the fence does not help by obstructing the view even further. There did seem to be very limited leg room but I don't sit at these games... The last section of the home side had mostly visitors as did the 'levy' so that helped. The parking was better than I expected but not as good overall as at Spartan because pedestrians hold up traffic around the stadium and there is more of a danger of accidents. Its plus is that it has more parking options available (elementary and churches and library and side streets).

But it is WAY better than playing at Chillicothe where the seating is much worse and the parking is non-existent.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

you can only aford to do what you can do...

I sit on the vistors side at Burg last night,and it to is pretty cramped, but it wasnt crowded so we just slid to one side or the other so we could use the seats in front of us as our foot stools.......

all of a sudden now the new up to date seats arent good enough :?: .....two years ago,,,,the same people was worried about falling through the old seats at spartan :lol: :lol:

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

biggdowgg wrote:you can only aford to do what you can do...

I sit on the vistors side at Burg last night,and it to is pretty cramped, but it wasnt crowded so we just slid to one side or the other so we could use the seats in front of us as our foot stools.......

all of a sudden now the new up to date seats arent good enough :?: .....two years ago,,,,the same people was worried about falling through the old seats at spartan :lol: :lol:

I sat in the visitors side also because we got there late. I would have to disagree with you on the visitors side being cramped. I had a plenty of room in front of me as I had some kids in front of me for some of the game and my knees weren't in there backs at any times. Shoot, I even leaned back at one time and it was a stretch for me to reach the bleacher behind me. It was such a stretch that it hurt so I didn't stay that way long.

We will just have to agree to disagree on this.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

well where we sit forst,,we had adults in front and behind us,,so we moved over.....

I was just pointing out,,even with new places,,you have to build what you have in the budget..."like Burgs new basketball gym,,I havent been, but heard...from Burg posters its really small"

Im sure with the crowds we had at the first two games..you was going to be cramped no matter where you was,,,,,

now that I think about it,,,,I sit on the home side a couple years agao at Burg ,,and I think it was more cramped then the visitors side.

one thing we can aggree on,,,at least you didnt fear for falling through the cracks :lol: :lol:

sportsfan43
JV Team

Post by sportsfan43 »

just give up on it.

some people are going to complain no matter what.

its unsafe at Spartan, we are scraed to sit on the vistors side,its falling apart as we sit there, we may trip over the track thats in terrible shape, theres no restrooms,or conssesions :!: :!:

and now,,its to cramped..boo freaking hoo....

if you are going to complain, at least have better facilitys to welcome youre guest in :!: :!: :!: :!:

seasick80
All State

Post by seasick80 »

sportsfan43 wrote:just give up on it.

some people are going to complain no matter what.

its unsafe at Spartan, we are scraed to sit on the vistors side,its falling apart as we sit there, we may trip over the track thats in terrible shape, theres no restrooms,or conssesions :!: :!:

and now,,its to cramped..boo freaking hoo....

if you are going to complain, at least have better facilitys to welcome youre guest in :!: :!: :!: :!:

We should all just play at Valley stadium!! Havent heard a bad word about it!!

I cant believe after this conversation no word on bad parkin for Burg or the fricken hill you got to walk up to get to the gate!! HEY!, they took out the old high school and I got a parking spot on the hill 20 minutes before the game started vs VASJ! Dont mean nothin though since there were no VASJ fans at the game per say! just wanted to throw that in. 1st time ever for me!! LOL!

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Those peewee games were held at Portsmouth Saturday. The little pieces of fake grass just gets all over you. On your clothes, in and all over your shoes. And that was from just standing and walking around. Kids had it all over them. I thought the stuff was tougher than that. At that rate they'll need a comb over in 5 years :-D I didn't like it at all and the kids I talked to didn't either. Just don't feel right.

BubbleGumTiger
SEOPS Hippo

Post by BubbleGumTiger »

BigOrangeOne wrote:
Mad_Dogg wrote:when was the last time burg scored 70 points in a game? i believe burg scored 70 some on waverly back in the 90's. i could be wrong. what is the most points burg ever scored in a game

They scored 76 points in a game back in '55 or '56. One guy (an end) scored 37 of those points.

If memory serves me correct that game was against the St Joe Flyers and a very good friend of mine played QB for the Burg.......some notable players for the Flyers were Jimmy Joe Sheridan, Dave Rudmann, Joe Holtzapfel, Danny Tuelll, Francis McMackin, Tom Neal, Bill McDonough and Jimmy (Postman) Mahlmeister........

Had I not been going to school in Steubenville I would have been present for that game............ :) :)

sportsfan43
JV Team

Post by sportsfan43 »

siderman wrote:Those peewee games were held at Portsmouth Saturday. The little pieces of fake grass just gets all over you. On your clothes, in and all over your shoes. And that was from just standing and walking around. Kids had it all over them. I thought the stuff was tougher than that. At that rate they'll need a comb over in 5 years :-D I didn't like it at all and the kids I talked to didn't either. Just don't feel right.

I dont blame YOU, YOU all have a beautiful facility.

Return to “Football”