Week 6 : Portsmouth (1-4) @ Jackson (5-0)

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Re: Week 6 : Portsmouth (1-4) @ Jackson (5-0)

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

Ok, Portsmouth has played a much better schedule so far. Jackson however has been far more impressive. However if Portsmouth could have cut down on the turnovers they could have been as good as 4-1, or even 5-0 at this point in the season. Then we would all be talking about what a great game this will be, and a big game for the league.
Portsmouth hung around in a dogfight with a very good West team that is very similar in my opinion to Jackson. We got some big defensive and special teams plays that helped keep us in that. I’m sure we will need them again to be competitive with the Ironmen, but Portsmouth does have the ability to play with Jackson.
Now we will have to play a near perfect game, and I ‘m sure Drew Ervin, and Morgan Landrum will both pose a problem for us, but the defense has improved greatly this year, yes it still doesn’t look good but think about all the extra possessions we have given teams, and what that means to the defense. Plain and simple the defense can play for 2 quarters with anyone, it’s when they get beat down and just plain and simple tired from being out there so long that bad things happen, this is a result of all the turnovers.
If we play mistake free we can compete in this game. We have tools that will pose a problem for Jackson as well. Not saying they aren’t things they can’t overcome but our sheer speed is always a threat. Zaide Whitley returning kicks is dangerous, and if they kick to him can take it to the house. Johnie Charles returned last week and I believe we will see him continue to see more and more touches which will improve our run game. Along with Johnie will have seen a continued youth movement with Darion Robinson, and Alex Dickerson give us more speed, and great threats.
The youth is also seen on the offensive line, and the defense with many young guys seeing more time, and although they are young have improved. On the defense Austin Rideout, has been a pleasant addition, making many stops since moving up from the JV.
Overall Jackson should win this game, but don’t count the Trojans out yet, we have some really good kids that at times can play some good ball. Over look us, and we could surprise you.

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

Portsmouth definitely has the athletes to match up with Jackson. No doubt about it.

Jackson's defense played very well against Warren's explosive offense last week, and they'll have to put together a similar effort this week to move to 6-0. The Ironmen absolutely must tackle well in space, and force the Trojans to drive the ball, rather than allowing them to make big plays.

Offensively, I think Jackson will probably look to play a ball control type of offense. Not to say that they won't be looking to make the big play, or throw the football at opportune times, but I look for a steady dose of Ervin and Landrum again this week. The key to that, however, will be the play of the offensive line. They seemed to struggle against the looks that Warren's D gave them last week, so hopefully they can open up some holes for the backs on Friday.

Should be an interesting game. The Ironmen have to stay focused and avoid looking ahead to the trip to the Tank next week. Portsmouth is 1-4, but that means nothing! One game at a time. Three more wins to another SEOAL championship.

WitnessProtection
All Conference

Post by WitnessProtection »

Jackson continues its roll this week. Alumni Stadium should be rockin' after 3 straight road games for JHS.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Portsmouth definitely has the athletes year after year but apparently sombody's not doing something right down there during the fall season. From the outside looking in, I feel they should still (even with losing kids and dropping divisions over the years) be competitive on the football fields and on the basketball court yearly with the "athletes" they have in that town. The basketball side has held true over the years but the football team should be much better than they have shown over time. Again, that's just my opinion.

WitnessProtection
All Conference

Post by WitnessProtection »

What is Clifford's career record at Portsmouth? Just wonderin'.

camnott
Varsity

Post by camnott »

Jackson defesive line will create problems that Portsmouth has yet to see this year. It will be nice to be back home and I believe it could be a really good game if like Trojan FB says they can get some of their athletes on the field that have been sidelined and eliminate the turnovers.
I'm hoping for an injury free game and predicting an Ironmen VICTORY! :aaaaa26

ZacBrownBand
Varsity

Post by ZacBrownBand »

I see Jackson winning this one

handwash77
Waterboy

Post by handwash77 »

Jackson will be way to much for the trojans.

wipala
Varsity

Post by wipala »

PHS--31 JHS--24

Rocketfan88
Freshman Team

Post by Rocketfan88 »

Good luck Trojans!!

96stroker
JV Team

Post by 96stroker »

love to see a good game but will be over at half jackson by 35 plus

JTownie
Waterboy

Post by JTownie »

Would love to see a decent game, but Jackson might hang 50 on the Trojans.

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

I think people are dismissing Portsmouth way too easily. I've been worried about this game, and after reading the Times-Journal preview with Coach Hall's comments, I'm even more worried. He believes that Portsmouth is the most athletic team overall that Jackson has faced this season, and Logan and Warren were pretty athletic, in my opinion.

I realize that simply being athletic doesn't win football games, but I still believe that this is a very dangerous Portsmouth team. The Trojans have been plagued by turnovers, and hopefully Jackson can also force them into several mistakes, but if they take care of the football, this could really be a close football game.

Jackson is coming off a big win over Warren and Ironton is looming next week. Portsmouth just got their first win of the season, and they'll be as confident as they have been all season. This really has a recipe for disaster for Jackson. It's up to our guys to make sure that they take care of business at Alumni Stadium tomorrow night. Gotta take care of the football and win the battle at the line of scrimmage offensively. Defensively, they have to pressure Jordan, tackle well, and force a few turnovers. Time to bring the "A" game and defend the home field!

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

Its just PORTSMOUTH!!!!

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

OZZIEOHIO wrote:Its just PORTSMOUTH!!!!
Like it was "Just Ashland"? :razz:

grndma1
SEOPS HO

Post by grndma1 »

Tobias wrote:...don't forget your $2 for parking.....

...or has that increased as well?

:roll:
Nope, it's still $ 2. :)

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

GMA1 , SEE YOU NEXT WEEK AT DA TANK.

grndma1
SEOPS HO

Post by grndma1 »

YTB- I'll be there if the kids go. I don't drive, other than in town, after dark. We can all even sit together, but I will still have to cheer for the Ironmen. :-D Good luck tonight with Alder.

Ironmannut07
Varsity

Post by Ironmannut07 »

28-0 Jackson

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

thought I saw 28/06????

Return to “Football”