OVC should invite the Ironton Tigers to join the league

Manxious2
Riding the Bench

Re: OVC should invite the Ironton Tigers to join the league

Post by Manxious2 »

BTW everyone, the purpose of inviting the Tigers into the OVC is an acknowledgement that their program is strong and will increase the overall program quality of the OVC. I don't think that Tiger fans should feel like it is a "big" putdown to their football program. Ironton needs a conference. The OVC is a good fit and they (Ironton) don't lose anything in such a move. I am begining to think that Ironton might feel the pressure or threat of not finishing at the top of the OVC in all sports (especially football) will be more than they could handle in the eyes of the county. Maybe that is why someone might sugget joining another conference.
Let me just state this.... Ironton would not dominate the OVC in all sports. Would they be competitive? Very much so! Will they continue to be a dominating force in football? Absolutely!

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

Frogtownbuckeye wrote:fuzzhead, please tell me that you're kidding. Again, South Point, who went 5-1 in the OVC last year with a 1 point loss to "powerhouse" Coal grove at Coal Grove, lost 28-15 to 1-9 SEOAL Portsmouth. Ironton beat Portsmouth by 31 in a rivalry game. What you are posting does not make sense. The OVC is not and will not catch Ironton for years to come. I wish Ironton would make this move. I would love to hear the boatload of excuses coming from Coal Grove as to why they lose by 35 every year.

I wouldn't make any excuses at all if that's how it turned out - none.
I'm sure Ironton fans don't make any excuses for not being able to challenge Logan (who has been dominating the SEOAL for the last few years) right now.
The Logan/SEOAL situation wouldn't be a lot different than an Ironton/OVC deal. Actually, it would be a lot better for a number of reasons that people have already mentioned.
But the shear arrogance some of you people display on here just a few years after threatening the OVC fans with the prospect of consolidation if the levy didn't pass is nothing short of amazing.
Now you can keep bringing up that Portsmouth game all you want, but South Point competed with both Wheelersburg and West this past year - both those games were pretty close if I remember rightly.

Like Manxious, I have the interests of the Ironton program in mind. I'm not an Ironton-hater and I'm not blind to the fact that there's still some distance between OVC football and Ironton. This would be the best thing to happen for both parties.

osu 77
All State

Post by osu 77 »

I agree Ironton football is better than the teams in the OVC but what about all the other sports both boys and girls. I have not seen Ironton dominate in any other sports so joining the OVC would be a good move for the entire sports program not just football.

RVRaiderFan
All State

Post by RVRaiderFan »

I remember my freshman and sophomore years at River Valley (93 & 94), we played Ironton those two years. I remember the 93 game was like 70-7 and the 94 game was like 48-14. Ironton in the OVC huh??? Just what RV needs!! :lol: :lol:

Mouth's Better Half
Varsity

Post by Mouth's Better Half »

OSU 77, It was just a few years ago that the boys and girls b-ball teams both went to the State tournament. There have been State appearances in golf, track, and tennis. What sports are you talking about?

osu 77
All State

Post by osu 77 »

Mouth's Better Half wrote:OSU 77, It was just a few years ago that the boys and girls b-ball teams both went to the State tournament. There have been State appearances in golf, track, and tennis. What sports are you talking about?

All the sports you have just mentioned many of Ironton teams have lost to OVC teams over the years in these sports. A good example of that would be this past year in track, baseball, girls basketball and softball.

bengalfan76
SE

Post by bengalfan76 »

Manxious2 wrote:Bengalfan76: It would be interesting to see the SOC II schools have to play OVC schools (across the board) in all sports. What in the world makes you think that Ironton would be better off in the SOC?

Manxious2 The SOC2 would be more competitive in Football with Ironton. Minford, Waverly, West, and W'Burg would be good games. In other sports, both boys and girls the SOC 2 is head and shoulders above the OVC. Sorry that hurts your feelings.

bengalfan76
SE

Post by bengalfan76 »

OSU 77 wrote:
Mouth's Better Half wrote:OSU 77, It was just a few years ago that the boys and girls b-ball teams both went to the State tournament. There have been State appearances in golf, track, and tennis. What sports are you talking about?

All the sports you have just mentioned many of Ironton teams have lost to OVC teams over the years in these sports. A good example of that would be this past year in track, baseball, girls basketball and softball.

Ironton had down year this year. Most years they would dominate the other sports.

Mouth's Better Half
Varsity

Ironton girls lost to South Point this year but my goodness neither team was a bad team and So. Point went on to be beat by Oak Hill.
I would expect Ironton to have years where they don't dominate just as every school goes thru those times when athletes are few or not playing.

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

Most of Ironton's athletic programs aren't any better than at least one OVC team's program in any given sport.
They aren't the big dog in the SEOAL anymore and they know the only other conferences they could reasonably play in would be the SOCII or the OVC. Joining either conference would be a wise move in my opinion. They could still schedule everyone they wanted to out of conference.
Right now, the SOCII is loaded with serious playoff contenders and they always seem to have at least two teams who are legitimate playoff teams.
I'd venture to say that if Ironton had been in the SOCII this past year, they would have lost as many conference games as they did in the SEOAL. They've lost to Wheelersburg the past two years and you can't tell me that they would have beaten both West and Minford.

RVRaiderFan wrote:I remember my freshman and sophomore years at River Valley (93 & 94), we played Ironton those two years. I remember the 93 game was like 70-7 and the 94 game was like 48-14. Ironton in the OVC huh??? Just what RV needs!! :lol: :lol:

Would it be any worse than some of the losses RV is already experiencing? The South Point, Fairland, and Coal Grove games were not too pretty this past year.

tigermama
Varsity

Post by tigermama »

[quote="fuzzhead"]Most of Right now, the SOCII is loaded with serious playoff contenders and they always seem to have at least two teams who are legitimate playoff teams.
I'd venture to say that if Ironton had been in the SOCII this past year, they would have lost as many conference games as they did in the SEOAL. They've lost to Wheelersburg the past two years and you can't tell me that they would have beaten both West and Minford.

You can't say they would have lost either.

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

tigermama wrote:

Nope. . . But I would have bet money on it. 8)

RationalVoice
Freshman Team

Post by RationalVoice »

Fuzzybrain,
Ironton would have been undefeated in both football and boys basketball this past year. No one would have enjoyed it.

Pepsiman
JV Team

Post by Pepsiman »

It would be football suicide for the OVC and Ironton. Ironton would go undefeated Every year and risk not making the playoffs some years.

Mouth's Better Half
Varsity

Ironton played Wheelersburg the first game of the season. And I think if they had played them later in the season Ironton would have won. Ironton could have beat West as well. Minford -- i don't know enough about and haven't seen them play.

BigOrangeOne
S

Post by BigOrangeOne »

fuzzhead wrote: They can compete with teams like Wheelersburg, for example, who has beaten Ironton for two straight years after losing to them every year for nearly two decades.

Whoa Nellie !! Wheelersburg and Ironton was 3-3 in regular season games in the 90's..... and one of those games was in the '99 season when Wheelersburg beat the Ironton Div 4 State Playoff team. :)

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

BigOrangeOne wrote:
fuzzhead wrote: They can compete with teams like Wheelersburg, for example, who has beaten Ironton for two straight years after losing to them every year for nearly two decades.

Whoa Nellie !! Wheelersburg and Ironton was 3-3 in regular season games in the 90's..... and one of those games was in the '99 season when Wheelersburg beat the Ironton Div 4 State Playoff team. :)

You are correct........

Info from Irontonfootball.com

Ironton leads the series 13-5

82 - Ironton 29-14
83 - Ironton 28-14
94 - Ironton 14-7
95 - Ironton 36-12................Ironton lost in the State Semi Finals
95 - Ironton 41-8..................Ironton vs Wheelersburg Regional Semi Finals
96 - Wheelersburg 34-6
97 - Ironton 10-7
98 - Wheelersburg 21-0
99 - Wheelersburg 10-7..........Ironton (10-4) lost State Championship Game
00 - Ironton 10-3
01 - Ironton 42-0
02 - Ironton 24-9
03 - Ironton 22-10
04 - Ironton 21-0
05 - Ironton 7-6
06 - Ironton 24-21
07 - Wheelersburg 39-6
08 - Wheelersburg 23-22

If it was possible, I would like to see the Tigers get into the SOC.

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

Pepsiman wrote:It would be football suicide for the OVC and Ironton. Ironton would go undefeated Every year and risk not making the playoffs some years.

^^^ Stupid statement. If Ironton went undefeated and played in the OVC, they would make the playoffs easily. Anyone with half a brain knows that. Rock Hill made the playoffs in 2007 after finishing 3rd in the OVC - AND THEY BEAT OUT IRONTON! Ironton could join and still schedule their shoo-in Canadian team and the Ashland, Wheelersburg, and Portsmouth games if they so chose.

RationalVoice wrote:Fuzzybrain,
Ironton would have been undefeated in both football and boys basketball this past year. No one would have enjoyed it.

I'd say there were years when Chesapeake went undefeated in the conference in both football and basketball. The world didn't end and Lawrence County didn't sink into the river because it happened. Come on down off your high horse.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

fuzzhead wrote:
Pepsiman wrote:It would be football suicide for the OVC and Ironton. Ironton would go undefeated Every year and risk not making the playoffs some years.

^^^ Stupid statement. If Ironton went undefeated and played in the OVC, they would make the playoffs easily. Anyone with half a brain knows that. Rock Hill made the playoffs in 2007 after finishing 3rd in the OVC - AND THEY BEAT OUT IRONTON! Ironton could join and still schedule their shoo-in Canadian team and the Ashland, Wheelersburg, and Portsmouth games if they so chose.

RationalVoice wrote:Fuzzybrain,

I'd say there were years when Chesapeake went undefeated in the conference in both football and basketball. The world didn't end and Lawrence County didn't sink into the river because it happened. Come on down off your high horse.

I agree with you that we would make the playoffs. I don't know how much it would prepare us once we made the playoffs.

The following,(Assuming we played these teams from last year and played in the OVC.

I did some number crunching to see where we would have finished if we played and beat Ashland, Gallia Acadamy, Portsmouth and Nelsonville York (which we did) and lost to Wheelersburg (which we did) and went undefeated in OVC play. The reults, our record would have been 9-1 and we would have finished 2nd in D4 Reg 15 vice 3rd.

tigermama
Varsity

Post by tigermama »

fuzzhead wrote:
tigermama wrote:

Nope. . . But I would have bet money on it. 8)

I guess it's your money to lose. ;-) Seriously, though, when Ironton and Wheelersburg play, all records go out the window because these two teams play each other with an intensity that doesn't always show against other teams. It's always a good game to watch because of the rivalry.

Return to “Football”