WEEK 9: MINFORD @ WAVERLY

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

WEEK 9: MINFORD @ WAVERLY

Post by Bleeding Red »

One would think that Minford would be the favorite. Defense has played good the past 2 weeks, offense needs to get rolling. Waverly will try to run their QB and attack Minford's defensive secondary.

Thoughts?

Jesco White
S

Re: WEEK 9: MINFORD @ WAVERLY

Post by Jesco White »

Minford's offensive line is going to have to open some lanes for Gaines, Caudill and company to run through. I think those kids run hard (Lord knows I saw Tyler take hit after hit last night only to keep his legs churning and get what he could), but they've got to have some holes and sustain some drives. It's important that they consistently get themselves in 3rd and short situations to take the pressure off Howard. I think he threw a beautiful ball to Snyder on the TD pass last night, but he has struggled through the air both times I've seen him play this year. Keeping him out of obvious passing situations and allowing him to throw some short underneath stuff should help bolster his confidence and keep the chains moving.

Defensively, the line is going to have to get some pressure on Bolin-Hitchens and force him to make bad decisions. He has a very strong arm and can definitely hurt defenses if he gets time to throw. Likewise, the secondary and the LB's are gonna need to have big games, not giving up big plays. The Falcons are going to need to jump out on the Tigers early and stay on them. My concern would be a slow start where the Tigers gain confidence by staying in the game and the Falcons become stagnant due to the tough loss last week and needing a win this week to assure themselves of at least a .500 season.

Best of luck to both teams, but I'll be pulling for the Falcons!!!

A-Town Big Dog
S

Post by A-Town Big Dog »

This should be a good game.

FarAwayFalcon
Varsity

Post by FarAwayFalcon »

Another very winnable game for Minford IMO. Not to say waverly is a push over, but the Falcons can win.

Line play on both sides will tell the tale. If Minford can consistently control the LOS, Minford wins. I'd say the ground game will be of emphasis this week for the Falcons. As long as they are piling up yards and eating clock their chances are good in this game. If they get into a lot of 3 and outs, 3rd and long, things will be harder for them.

crazymidgets
All Conference

Post by crazymidgets »

waverly should have 9 guys in the box 1 db and a safety over the top when minford is in the 1 receiver set when its 2 receivers its a bubble so slide the lb out to cover, and then run the football the whole game power football like they did against burg in the first half except this time dont quit running at halftime.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

crazymidgets wrote:waverly should have 9 guys in the box 1 db and a safety over the top when minford is in the 1 receiver set when its 2 receivers its a bubble so slide the lb out to cover, and then run the football the whole game power football like they did against burg in the first half except this time dont quit running at halftime.

I don't think it was they quit running against the Burg, I think they just ran out of gas. When I saw how big Waverly's line was and how big the QB, RB and WR's are, I thought the burg could be in trouble, but they were flat wore out in the second half. probably one of the worst conditioned HS foot ball teams I've ever seen. Waverly is better than 1-7, IMO.

This game could go either way. This is going to be a hard one to pick.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

Hope to see the Falcons win this one, but I think they could have their hands full. I watched the Tigers warming up before the West game, they look like a good football team, at times in our game they looked good and sometimes they looked really bad. They are a better than 1-7 football team. Good luck to the Falcons.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Waverly is the more talented team. That team shouldn't be 1-7.

This game could go either way. Minford will probably find a way to win.

crazymidgets
All Conference

Post by crazymidgets »

Yabba I have seen waverly once live and on film so I cant attest to the conditioning during the burg game but I heard bad things about halftime and as to why they quit running the ball and conditioning wasnt one of them, conditioning has never been a past problem at waverly the coaches have always had them in shape but I just dont know this yr. This is not a typical waverly team with good skill position athletes with lots of speed able to throw the football down the field. Now can they play with minford absolutely will they who knows will find out friday.

wink
JV Team

Post by wink »

it's gonna be hard for these boys to go to waverly and come out with a win. i've heard that waverly is a tough place to play and come out on top but these boys are tough and won't give up.
waverly has some big boys but that isn't always a plus.
i think we can pull this one out... i'm betting the farm on it any way.

GO RED !!!

FEAR THE BIRD !!!!!!!!!

Curious George
Riding the Bench

Post by Curious George »

Let's go Falcons!!! Stay focused and get another W!!!

thechosenone
Varsity

Post by thechosenone »

Falcons by 2 tds

MClaw
Freshman Team

Post by MClaw »

Every now and then Minford should pass on first down so it would open up the ground game. Everybody knows we run 90% of the time.
Last edited by MClaw on Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

here4fun
Varsity

Post by here4fun »

If Waverly plays as hard as they did agaist burg minford will have their hands full they may not win this one

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

28-14 Minford

playtowin
Freshman Team

Post by playtowin »

crazymidgets wrote:waverly should have 9 guys in the box 1 db and a safety over the top when minford is in the 1 receiver set when its 2 receivers its a bubble so slide the lb out to cover, and then run the football the whole game power football like they did against burg in the first half except this time dont quit running at halftime.
Crazy,
Defensively that is crazy and since you weren't at the Burg game how would you know that we quit running the ball after halftime? If I recall correctly Burg had a drive that used a good bit of clock and scored, we went 3 plays and punted and they scoredd from 50 yards on the first play when they got it back. So with a little more than a quarter to play we were down two scores. You should probably be more concerned on how you are going to defend Westfall and Adena the next couple weeks then what we are going to do or have done at Waverly.

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

can't see Minford losing this one , Waverly is having a terrible year. MD

playtowin
Freshman Team

Post by playtowin »

1-7 against teams that are 48-16 surely isn't what you want, but I would hardly call it a terrible year. I guess 4-4 against teams that are 32-32 does sound a lot better.

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

"you are what your record says you are" -- quote from some football coach and I think it fits in this case. IMO 1-7 is terrible , at least so far. but everyone has the right to their own opinion. MD

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Opinions are like..... and everyone has one.
1-7 is terrible yes, would love to be 2-6 by beating Piketon but it didn't happen. Don't know who else people expect Waverly should have beaten. Does Waverly have talented athletes, yes! Should Waverly be getting blown out of games, no! But 2-6 is realistically the best they could be right now.

Having said that,
with everyone suited up and healthy the Tigers have a real good shot and finishing the season with back-to-back wins over Minford and Northwest, both at Raidager field.
Waverly has to get the offense moving and learn how to tackle people (they run with their legs not their shoulders). HIT THEM LOW AND WRAP. Don't think you can knock them down by hitting them hard.

Return to “Football”