Belpre Eagles Football 09

eagledad
Freshman Team

Re: Belpre Eagles Football 09

Post by eagledad »

who are some of the incoming freshmen / sophomores moving up thay may see some playing time on friday nights?

bigred31
Riding the Bench

Post by bigred31 »

Belpre dont have a chance winning the tvc..they will be an alright team but they lack alot of positons
waderker and tate will be the dbs but they dont have another one
on offense it all depends where the kids play. if watkins plays hb waderker will be wr, if waderker plays hb then watkins will most likely be fb but maybe even a reciever because there is only 3 kids that could play there and that would tate(the main one) waderker, and watkins

eagledad
Freshman Team

Post by eagledad »

ullman is just a junior, if i'm not mistaken, with a year of varsity experience. the trio of waderker, watkins and miller should make for tough, hard-nosed running attack; rotate in and out maybe and keep fresh legs in the backfield. tate should supply ample speed on the outside. we have the makings of a solid line. if belpre can get a couple of the younger guys to step in and contribute, maybe find a possession type receiver and i think the eagle offense could be pretty potent. as always, depth may be the biggest issue.

eagledad
Freshman Team

Post by eagledad »

just a little look inside the numbers from last year.......

belpre finished 3-7 overall, 2-4 in tvc ohio play, 1-1 in road conference games and 1-3 in home conference games

on offense belpre averaged 15.5 points per game, just over 17 pts per game in conference play, averaged just over 29 pts per game in conference wins, and just over 11 pts per game in conference losses. averaged 17 pts per games in road conference games and and just over 17 pts per game in home conference games

on defense belpre averaged allowing 25.5 pts per game, 31 pts per game in conference play, averaged allowing just over 17 pts per game in conference wins, 38 pts per game allowed in conference losses. averaged 31 pts per game allowed in conference road games, and just over 33 pts per game in conference home games.

as we've all heard, defense wins championships. in 2007 belpre went 7-3, making the state playoffs and winning the tvc ohio. in the regular season belpre averaged allowing just under 12 pts per game including two shutouts.

as i stated in my previous post, belpre's offense will be better. i also think coach shriver will get the guys back to playing defense like we all know they can! go get 'em eagles! bring the title back to belpre!

orange and black
Freshman Team

Post by orange and black »

On defense, they will need to find a DB to step up. Ullman has played in that area in pee-wee and jr.high but hasn't seen much of it in HS. maybe he will be the newcomer. Parrish and law could get decent playing time, Markam has also played safety, he has decent height and is an aggressive player who can play multiple positions. The linebackers and line will need to hold their own and not rely on the DB's.

On offense, if the line can do their job this should be a pretty decent offense. With Watkins, Tate, Miller, and Ullman at QB they should dominate if they play anything like they did in pee-wee and jr. high. It comes down to the linemen this year. We have a very talented group of backs and recievers that can play any postition.

If they players go out with a winning attitude and execute every play the way they should, they have a good chance of winning atleast 8 out of 10. It also reflects on the coaching, if they can get the players ready through out summer and motivate them, then we will be fine.

eagledad
Freshman Team

Post by eagledad »

last week of school. how many have been in the weight room? when do most of the guys take their summer vacation? early in the summer? just before camp?

it won't be long til 2-a-days. hard work now will pay off in october. keep the hammer down and get ready for a great season!

eagledad
Freshman Team

Post by eagledad »

hey, where are all the eagle fans? the weight room has been busy. the guys are working hard getting ready for the upcoming season.

what are everyone's thoughts on the TVC adding south gallia to the hocking division and belpre moving to the hocking division? how will this move change the landscape of eagle football? interested to hear your opinions.

eaglefan1
Varsity

Post by eaglefan1 »

Belpre will be much more competitive in the Hocking Division in every sport....I dont see why Belpr couldnt take the all sports trophy in the Hocking almost every year. Belpre will go 8-2, 7-3 and 6-4 year in and year out playing in the Hocking.

Eaglepapaw
S

Post by Eaglepapaw »

eagledad wrote:hey, where are all the eagle fans? the weight room has been busy. the guys are working hard getting ready for the upcoming season.

what are everyone's thoughts on the TVC adding south gallia to the hocking division and belpre moving to the hocking division? how will this move change the landscape of eagle football? interested to hear your opinions.

I see a lot of kids out for the weight room and conditioning when I drop the grandson off. I don't know if any of the legion baseball players are out yet but it's good to see the boys working hard.I think the move to the Hocking will make Belpre more competitive especially on the football field.Just have to re-program the GPS to find some of these new schools.

boilermaker
SE

Post by boilermaker »

I dont understand some of the dislike for the Head coach. Ive talked with him several times and he is a Belpre guy for sure,and wants whats best for the kids and the community.He also has a TVC Ohio title! I think he does a fine job, JMO from a outsider looking in.
As for this year the Eagle should be good , but I think the league will come down between three teams N-Y, Meigs and Wellston.Belpre and Athens could contend with all three but I dont think can beat all three.

otterslide
JV Team

Post by otterslide »

Well it is pretty much official. South Gallia is in the Hocking Division and Belpre has moved to the Hocking Division. Belpre's student enrollment continues to decline. Very sad to see but the economy is definatly not booming in the area. All the plants and business are going elsewhere but life is life and thus another hurdle to jump. There are several pros and cons for Belpre in this change but numbers are the deciding factor. The only two schools to oppose the move of Belpre was Trimble and Eastern. However, Belpre at this point just can't compete with Athens and the larger schools in several of the athletic programs due to numbers in most cases. NY has the program in the right direction and had done a great job in there football programs regardless of the student numbers. It was also noted in the Marietta Times that this would take effect 2010-2011 but it also made note that it may take affect this year possibly.

What is everyone's opinions on Belpre moving to the Hocking Division? Please be as nice as possible posting your opinions. This question in no means is to start and arguement but simply as a discussion.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

I hate to see Belpre move down, but understand why they are doing it. Belpre has been the second most successful team all-time in the TVC behind NY. However, other than 2007, all of its championships happened in the 1970's and 1980's. As I understand it, Belpre (and Federal Hocking for that matter) will most likely fall to Division 6 status within the next 2-4 years. The lower grades at both Belpre and Federal Hocking have Division 6 numbers now, so once they reach high school, it's inevitable they will be Division 6.

I hear that Belpre and Nelsonville-York are working to continue to play each other in football as a non-league game, that will most likely take place in Week 3 in the future. However, all other rivalries Belpre has in the TVC Ohio in football will most likely come to an end. Belpre will no doubt continue to play Warren as a non-league game in Week 1, and Week 2 will probably go to one of two local rivals - Williamstown or Fort Frye. The rest of the schedule would be TVC Hocking games for Belpre.

I think Belpre will compete strongly in virtually every sport in the Hocking Division and win the All-Sports Trophy frequently. Belpre and Trimble will instantly become each others biggest rivals. Belpre should also renew its old rivalry with Federal Hocking, particularly in basketball and baseball. Belpre should also develop a strong rivalry with Waterford.

On the flip side, there will be some games that probably will have very low fan attendance. I do not envision a big Belpre vs. Miller football rivalry in the works. Same goes for Southern, Eastern, and perhaps South Gallia. Belpre will have to have strong non-league revenue games to make up for some of that lost revenue for playing those schools in football. It will also become more important for Belpre to win most of its non-league games to earn a playoff spot, or at least to earn home field advantage in the opening round. This is especially true as long as Belpre remains in Division 5. There might be slightly more wiggle room here if and when Belpre drops to Division 6 in the future.

Belpre will be unique in the Hocking in that it is a city school district, and not a local school district - the first and only city school district to ever compete in the Hocking Division. The Ohio Division has always had all of the city school districts with Belpre, Nelsonville-York, Wellston, and then the recent addition of Athens.

So while it is sad to see many rivalries come to an end after 40 years in the same league as Nelsonville-York and Vinton County and over 30 years against Alexander and over 25 years against Wellston and Meigs, it is understandable as to why it is happening. It is pretty much for some of the same reasons Athens left the SEOAL for the TVC, minus the travel time reason.

What's really sad though is that Belpre will also be playing in a different division in the playoffs than most TVC OHIO schools, so Belpre may not see some of its current league rivals in a game again in any sport for years, if at all, ever again. I think some of Belpre's girls teams already fell to Division IV in sports like basketball, and the boys teams are soon to join them as well. Only an occasional non-league game will exist, and in football, those opportunities are few and far between because the traditional rival games will take place in weeks 1-3, leaving no room for any current Ohio Division school on the schedule, except for the rivalry with Nelsonville-York if it is, in fact, saved for a Week 3 non-league game in the future.

mister b
SEOP

Post by mister b »

Just a point to clear some things up....

This upcoming season, 2009-2010, Belpre will be in the TVC-Ohio for all sports. Any South Gallia games that are played against TVC-Hocking schools will be nonconference, just as they were this past season.

2010-2011 season South Gallia is an official member of the TVC-Hocking. Belpre will also be a member of the TVC-Hocking for all sports except football.

Due to existing contracts Belpre may not be a football member of the TVC-Hocking until the 2011-12 season. These details will have to be worked out as contractual issues are resolved.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thank you

edforshey
Varsity

Post by edforshey »

Belpre is playing in 7 on 7 at Parkersburg High the next 3 Fridays 6/19, 26 and 7/3 and 2 Mondays 6/22, 29 evenings at 4pm.

Others schools:
Parkersburg
Williamstown
Tyler
St. Marys
Parkersburg Catholic

gpgm6566
Varsity

Post by gpgm6566 »

Does any one know the results of the passing scrimmage yesterday at phs? Who besides Shriver is going to make up the coaching staff this season?

gpgm6566
Varsity

Post by gpgm6566 »

ttt

mister b
SEOP

Post by mister b »

Brian Hutchinson, Rodney Darth, Keith McFee and Larry McFee is what I have been told.

otterslide
JV Team

Post by otterslide »

Thank Mr. B for clearing that up I was going by what I understood in the Marietta Times. Here is the article I was refering too. You are right it didn't specifically mention football. We will all just have to wait and see.

http://www.mariettatimes.com/page/conte ... 13564.html

mister b
SEOP

Post by mister b »

otterslide...you have a PM.

Return to “Football”