DV R19 Qtrs: Ports West (9-1) @ Nelsonville-York (9-1)

SOCMAN05
Freshman Team

Re: DV R19 Qtrs: Ports West (9-1) @ Nelsonville-York (9-1)

Post by SOCMAN05 »

FANOSPORTS- I believe it's called PREVENT DEFENSE . GREAT GAME WEST !!!!

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

SOCMAN05 wrote:FANOSPORTS- I believe it's called PREVENT DEFENSE . GREAT GAME WEST !!!!
No, No, No, I'm not buying that one. They were not in prevent until the last 2 times N-Y had the ball in the last 4 minutes or so. The middle with slants/curls and fades were open the whole game but were not taken advantage of until the last qtr. when it was too late. I think most of my questions above on this game are legit and whether or not you all saw the same game I did, well it's your opinion just as I have mine. :|

bucks_09
Freshman Team

Post by bucks_09 »

I was wondering the same thing as fanosports. If we were getting 1 or 2 yds every time we ran the ball then why run it. Pass the darn thing and get the first down. I would have rather seen Dean complete 4 or 5 passes then throw an interception than run the ball get a yd, throw a 30 yd pass incomplete, run the ball get 2 yds then punt which is what it seems like we did most of the night. I knew West was big but didnt realize how big they really were until we were lined up tonight. Their size was the difference in this game, and they ran hard every play and usually got 4 or 5 yds after being hit. It was a great game and congrats to West on their win. And congradulations to the Buckeyes on another great season. I was also pretty disappointed seeing that many NY "fans" leave while there was still a game going on. Support your team until the end.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

Updated all-time series stats:

Portsmouth West leads all-time series 4 wins, 2 losses

1974 Portsmouth West (H) 28-0
1993 Nelsonville-York (H) 24-0
1994 Nelsonville-York (A) 16-6
1995 Portsmouth West (H) 9-0
1996 Portsmouth West (A) 20-14
2011 Portsmouth West (#H) 18-12

Jesco White
S

Post by Jesco White »

Is What It IS wrote:Congrats West. Good win S.O.C. 2-0
Valley throws the ball from the spread, fairly well.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Great game West..Way to hang in there.

NY you have a really good team and a nice stadium.

Jesco White
S

Post by Jesco White »

UPNYA4 wrote:1st off, Great Win for the West Side tonight!! Boy’s played a helluva game tonight! Way to earn your respect from the people up North! 2nd, I wanna be one of the 1st to give the NY kids credit were credit is due, they darn sure have a ton of HEART! Where some had gave up...they did not. As do our SIDERS. What a great atmosphere it was tonight! On to the next Round!
After the PM's we exchanged this week......I think we both got we wanted tonight!!!! Way to go West and WAY TO GO SOC!!!!

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

Two heartbreaking losses in a row for NY.

The 2011 Buckeyes were one of the better NY teams, and arguably the best version of the 21st Century. However, the 2011 team failed to join the elite status of the undefeated 10-0 teams of NY past or the NY teams that advanced in the playoffs. Still, 2011 was certainly one of the better years of NY football, and that is certainly saying something.

Congrats to West on the win and congrats to the Buckeyes on a 9-2 season. Now it is time to start preparing for 2012. The names change, but the tradition continues. Go Bucks!

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

By the way, I was glad to see us get a net for the kicker. Now ask him to use it ;-)

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

siderman wrote:By the way, I was glad to see us get a net for the kicker. Now ask him to use it ;-)
I don't know if i've ever seen a game in person with 5 td's no x-tra points made. That could for sure be a problem down the line.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

I know their isn't a thread for Bucyrus Winford yet. But their week 9 game against Galion is on Local on Demand. Go to high school football -week 9. They won 22-20.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

Wow what a exciting game. I would like to say hats off to the young men of ny they fought hard never quit showed alot of heart, they left their heart and soul on that field. To the ny fans with the rich football tradition the way your kids play the game and a really nice stadium, that is truely something to have great pride in and I'm sure you do. Great game by the Siders play hard as always now lets get ready for next week. LETS GO SIDERS.

CavsFan08
JV Team

Post by CavsFan08 »

Ny bucks 96. If the tradition you speak of is beating bad teams in the reg. Season every year and losing in the 1st round I believe that will continue. All of you who wanted dean to pass more. He had 4 ints. Ny had 12 t.o. the last two games of the year.

Gecko
Varsity

Post by Gecko »

Why cant NY get over the hump and win a playoff game under this staff? I know Boston SR. and Meade were sucessful winning in the first round but it doesn't seem to be in Ny's destiny to win in the first round anytime soon. They usually walk through their league with this year being an exception and then get beat in the first round in the 2000's.
Just wonder what some of you think why this is?
Has it just been 7 straight bad matchups or what?
Again havent been to any NY games this year so I cant give my opinion but would love to hear from some of the Ny faithful about this non sucess in the playoffs.

And again the Seniors had 3 great years of Ny football. Hats off to them and wish them well in life.

81dendmhs74
JV Team

Post by 81dendmhs74 »

FANOSPORTS wrote:
siderman wrote:By the way, I was glad to see us get a net for the kicker. Now ask him to use it ;-)
I don't know if i've ever seen a game in person with 5 td's no x-tra points made. That could for sure be a problem down the line.
FOS don't think I've ever seen that either. Was fun to watch, but again it seem like the turn over bug hid NY hard. I can remember seeing 5 last night... They really hurt you in big games. And Dave jr,Next year please don't talk to the paper, did any NY people really read what he said.. NOT Good,,,,,,,

G.W.A.
All Conference

Post by G.W.A. »

Jesco White wrote:Way to go West from Lucasville!!!!!! We were chearing for you guys at every update!!! Very proud of the SOC tonight!!!!
That shows true class. Thats what being in a league is all about.
Nelsonville fans actually clapped and cheered loud when Athens score was announced. That shows no class imo. Good luck West

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

gecko wrote:but would love to hear from some of the Ny faithful about this non sucess in the playoffs.
I have a couple thoughts on this:

First, we have expanded playoffs now. Many of the NY teams that qualified for the playoffs since 2000 have been a 5-8 seed. Those teams would not have qualified for the playoffs under the old system when only the top 4 teams qualified. Likewise, even this years NY team would not have qualified back when only the top 2 teams in the region made it to the playoffs. The teams from the 80s and 90s that had playoff success were in most cases ranked 1 or 2 in the region at seasons end. I don't believe any NY team since 2000 has finished ranked that high in the region. This is even more impressive when you realize that there were fewer divisions back then too - only 5. And there were only 3 divisions until 1980.

Another theory I have ---- many of the losses in the playoffs since 2000 have been close games - a TD or less. There are two ways of looking at this - either Boston Jr took a group of Buckeyes and made them produce better than expected in the years NY was a lower seed ---- or key coaching decisions at critical points in each game did not turn out as expected.

2000 @ Ashland Crestview L 13-14
2003 @ Monroe Central L 7-9
2004 @ Amanda Clearcreek L 6-43
2005 @ East Knox L 28-35
2006 Columbus Academy L 21-55
2008 Liberty Union L 14-15
2010 @ Minford L 6-27
2011 Portsmouth West L 12-18

As you can see, only 3 of those 8 NY teams would have qualified for the playoffs when only the top 4 made it. None would have qualified when only the top 2 seeds advanced. 5 of the 8 losses were by a TD or less, including two 1 point losses and one two point loss.

When stacked up to the elite Buckeye teams of years past -- the ones who finished undefeated and/or made noise in the playoffs -- these NY teams since 2000 have not quite stacked up to that top level of success. NY had 7 playoff wins in the 80s and 90s combined. Back when it was harder to make the playoffs because fewer teams qualified.

Having said that, I wonder what NY's playoff history would like had there always been 6 divisions and the top 8 teams in each division qualified? Boston Sr. and Meade both had success in the playoffs and many more of their teams would have qualified for the playoffs under the current format. I wonder what Boston Sr or Meade could have done with some of those Buckeye teams of years past in an expanded playoff format like we have today?

A final theory I have --- when I researched the history of NY football to find all of the scores to all of the games, I also would see scores to all of the other games going on around the area. From top to bottom, I think the TVC has been weaker since 2000 than it was before 2000. In many years NY has won the TVC since 2000, the Buckeyes were not very successful against non-league opponents. Of course, this year is a notable exception to that.

Lets look at the non-league records of the teams mentioned above ---

2000 - losses to Logan and Columbus St. Charles
2003 - losses to Athens, River Valley and Minford
2004 - losses to Fairfield Union, Portsmouth and Trimble
2005 - losses to Fairfield Union, Crooksville and Trimble
2006 - loss to Fairfield Union
2008 - losses to Berne Union and Ironton
2010 - losses to Newark Catholic and St. Clairsville
2011 - no losses outside of league play

As you can see, other than 2011, NY has never went through the non-league slate undefeated. The 2006 Buckeyes, which finished with an identical record as the 2011 Buckeyes, managed only one non-league loss. Other than that, NY did not appear to be a playoff-caliber team in the non-league schedule in the other years based on non-league performance. The top NY teams of years past had a much stronger showing in non-league games. NY was playing the teams it should have been playing, it just wasn't beating them on a consistent basis. Most of the points to qualify for the playoffs came from wins over TVC teams and those TVC teams since 2000 have not been as strong as they had been prior to 2000 in most cases, at least in my opinion.

So those are my thoughts on why NY has lost the last 8 playoff games it has played since 2000.

NYBUX
Varsity

Post by NYBUX »

To the NY seniors I say thanks for the memories, you are a GREAT class that has overachieved throughout your football carrier. To the underclassmen I also give thanks and say get in the weightroom as we will be RELOADING for next year.
To the coaches and administration at NY I also give thanks. Thanks for the study tables directly after school for the atheletes that are struggling to make the grades. Grades first!!!
Thanks for the drug testing policy applied to ALL atheletes at NY. If you are using you aren't playing.
Football IS MORE than a game. There are more important achievments than the W/L column. There is no doubt that these young men will be overachievers in lifes journey.
Now to all the "downtown coaches" FOS leads the list. With all of your football knowledge can you tell me why no-one wants you as a coach?? Maybe you just don't have what it takes to be a REAL coach...As to the NY fans leaving with 10:00 to go in the game. I was near the gate as I donated my time to help and still had a job to finish. I have missed very few games in the last 20 years and I know the names and faces of the "Buckeye Faithful". They did NOT leave. Maybe just Maybe they were friends, family, and spectators that have no ties directly to the program. Must have been as I didn't recognize ANY of them.....
To the one and done constituants, I say stand up and look in the mirror and unless you are from Ironton you can sit down and shut up.
As for the cheering at the Athens score, I for one hoped they would win and did not cheer. However maybe some of the ones that did were the ones that by 6:00 could not find a seat and stood at the fence, that just happened to be in front of the "Dawg Pound", (which is OUTSIDE of the main fence) and were cussed at because they couldn't see the game from outside the main fence.
My young son along with others had PAID to be inside the main fence and had PAID for the right to stand there. In 2 years when we return to Athens, you had better plan on buying a ticket as I know where I along with many others will be standing.
Last edited by NYBUX on Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

maniac66
All State

Post by maniac66 »

Great game great win for West.
I thought NY would win this game and I was wrong the SOC proved to be the better league tonight in two games.
This is the playoffs and you have to play your best or go hone and West did that you had a great year NY nothing to hang your head about just have to regroup and try again next season and West you go and make SEO proud

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

GREAT SEASON NELSONVILLE YORK BUCKEYES, NOTHING TO HANG YOUR HEADS ABOUT GREAT YEAR

AND CONTINUED LUCK AND SUPPORT TO THE PORTSMOUTH WEST SIDERS.

Return to “Football”