DV R19 Qtrs: Ports West (9-1) @ Nelsonville-York (9-1)

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Re: DV R19 Qtrs: Ports West (9-1) @ Nelsonville-York (9-1)

Post by 93Bulldog »

Man I would really love to see this game - should be a real 'slobber knocker!'

Thank goodness I at least have Nelsonville T.V. cable.

The last time I seen P-West was down in Zanesville when they beat Youngstown Ursulin ... I tell ya, that was one of the hardest hitting games I have ever seen in high school football.

I have a feeling Friday's game will be very similar.

Go 'Bucks!

High Plains Drifter
Freshman Team

Post by High Plains Drifter »

Watched this team against Minford this year and they hit hard. That is one thing that West has always been known for.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Good luck West. Very nice stadium you are playing at. NY is hard to beat at home. Show them how the SOC plays football.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

NYBuckeye96 wrote:
luvbigcats wrote:and Burg beating them a couple of times and one was really bad but not for sure, anybody have more info on that would be helpful.

I'm not sure what NY's record against Wheelersburg has to do with this game, but NY has played Burg 4 times in the playoffs and each team has won twice....

Series tied 2 wins, 2 losses
1981 Nelsonville-York (N) 14-0
1994 Wheelersburg (N) 28-7
1997 Nelsonville-York (N) 41-14
1998 Wheelersburg (N) 61-19
Thank you I thought they have played a few timews in the playoffs.

fan4sure
Freshman Team

Post by fan4sure »

Looks like a very nice stadium you folks have out there. cant wait to see it in person. Appears to be a good stage for a great game. LETS GO WWEEESSSSTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FarAwayFalcon
Varsity

Post by FarAwayFalcon »

Minford was able to beat them up running the ball last year. After seeing West I see them winning by 14 or so. West will mix it up enough to keep their defense off balance, then run between the tackles.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

There are a few youtube videos of NY. I couldn't find anything else. They don't look very big but they have alot of speed. Minford got them on grass. We have them on a fast track.

NY looks like they throw the ball well also.

indianabuck
All State

Post by indianabuck »

I just saw the state playoff preview show on STO and the people on there were VERY impressed with Nelsonville-York. They listed them as a team to watch. They even showed highlights.

Jesco White
S

Post by Jesco White »

siderman wrote:There are a few youtube videos of NY. I couldn't find anything else. They don't look very big but they have alot of speed. Minford got them on grass. We have them on a fast track.

NY looks like they throw the ball well also.
Yes, they have a talented duo at QB and RB. From following along with their stats this year, they've been able to move the ball on the ground and in the air...on paper, they have put up similar numbers to Valley in terms of balance.

blue53
All State

Post by blue53 »

indianabuck wrote:I just saw the state playoff preview show on STO and the people on there were VERY impressed with Nelsonville-York. They listed them as a team to watch. They even showed highlights.

I seen the same. They looked like they had a lot of speed. but they are highlights.

white bread
Waterboy

Post by white bread »

Could be a rape fest but ill pay my money and be there...... Go bucks from g-town

Bishtakes
Riding the Bench

Post by Bishtakes »

Here is a little about the Buckeys and our stadium.

We will throw as many times as we run it and with success. QB has thrown for 1800 yds and has three great targets to throw to. #21 (Kline) 6'3" great athlete. TE #82 Freer is fearless and has great hand and will leap defenders. #2 North is flat out a play maker. Great yards after catch as he is shifty and will make you miss. Tailback is a stud with almost 1800 yds. Great speed and footwork and will drop his headgear for another 3 yds.

Defense has 4 state qualifiers off the wrestling team. Secondary has a ton of picks this year as they are extremely fast, and react to the football with great instinct. You will hear the names of Covert and Hook all night long. Linebackers that can smell a pig from a mile away...I mean they have a nose for the football. You will not be able to just fire off the ball and block them as they will be in your backfield by then. Our team speed is our strength.

The thing you need to worry about most is the play of our special teams. They are nothing more than Kamikazes. They will sacrifice their own head to smack yours.

The field is field turf that was installed 6 years ago. There will be plenty of parking in front of and behind the school so no need to worry about getting there early. Restrooms and concession stand are located on the home side and port a johns will be brought in for the visitors side. The visitors bleachers hold 1100 people and you will get to see a fireworks show afterwards or maybe even during the game.

We have a lot of respect for your team and conference and we welcome you to our facility. Can somebody post some info about West please.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Nelsonville-York team stats are uploaded after week 10 ... http://trivalleyconference.com/Nelsonville-York.html

'They of course are unofficial stats - but it gives you a ball-park idea of what the 'Bucks are all about.'

A-Town Big Dog
S

Post by A-Town Big Dog »

A few observations about N-Y from what I saw last week, N-Y has a very well balanced and explosive offense that is able to score quickly either on the ground or in the air, a offensive line with decent size and very good team speed overall. On defense the Buckeyes aren't any slouch either, if you try to run outside it will be difficult at best, they hit hard and tackle very well. The only weaknesses I saw with the Bucks was that they don't do nearly as well with runs between the tackles as they do designed runs to the outside and they had trouble covering recievers in the intermediate routs. I'm sure coach Boston will clean up these problems and the kids will eliminate most of the turnovers and have a great week in practice, I'm sure they'll play like they have something to prove. I don't know much about West except what I've read on here so I'm not gonna pick a score but I have a good feeling N-Y won't go down two weeks in a row. Go Buckeyes.

Jesco White
S

Post by Jesco White »

I'll post a West roster and give some general info, then allow the West posters to put the pieces together for you.

NYBUX
Varsity

Post by NYBUX »

IRONFALCON wrote:Minford was able to beat them up running the ball last year. After seeing West I see them winning by 14 or so. West will mix it up enough to keep their defense off balance, then run between the tackles.
That was last year and this is this year...
Where is Minford at this year????????? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: At home watchin...... thats where.... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Jesco White
S

Post by Jesco White »

Portsmouth West Senators "Siders" 2011 Roster

1 - Buddy Jenkins, 5'6" - 160lbs, Soph, TE/DB
3 - Levi Ratliff, 6'3" - 200lbs, Senior, QB/DB
5 - Josh Cooper, 6'2" - 235lbs, Senior, LB
6 - Justin Scott, 5'10" - 150lbs, Soph, RB/DB
7 - Phillip Carnes, 6'0" - 190lbs, Senior, TE/DE
9 - Kyle Auger, 5'11" - 190lbs, Senior, RB/DB
10 - Zach Frye, 6'4" - 210lbs, Junior, TE/LB
11 - Austin Bricker, 5'11" - 165lbs, Soph, RB/DB
14 - Alec Meeker, 5'9" - 210lbs, Junior, FB/DE
15 - Luke Morgan, 6'0" - 195lbs, Soph, QB/DE
19 - Justin Crace, 5'11" - 195lbs, Junior, FB/DB
22 - Adam Bricker, 6'2" - 195lbs, Senior, RB/DB
25 - Corey Summers, 5'9" - 185lbs, Senior, WR/DB
33 - Jimmy Howell, 5'11" - 210lbs, Soph, FB/LB
34 - Jon Howell, 5'10" - 200lbs, Soph, RB/DE
36 - Jacob Morgan, 5'11" - 160lbs, Soph, RB/DB
39 - Corey Rister, 5'11" - 170lbs, Junior, TE/DE
49 - Travis Smith, 5'11" - 175lbs, Soph, TE/DE
51 - Tyler Rideout, 5'9" - 215lbs, Senior, OL/DE
52 - Brandon Scott, 6'4" - 245lbs, Junior, OL/DL
53 - Matt Bennett, 6'1" - 240lbs, Junior, OL/DL
54 - Damian Savage, 6'3" - 240lbs, Senior, OL/DL
55 - Adam Newman, 6'1" - 310lbs, Senior, OL/DL
56 - Nate Reynolds, 6'1" - 215lbs, Soph, OL/LB
57 - Andrew Frederick, 6'0" - 200lbs, Soph, OL/DL
58 - Neal Whisman, 6'3" - 240lbs, Junior, OL/DL
59 - Jesse Scott, 6'4" - 250lbs, Junior, OL/DL
60 - Brandon Cooper, 6'1" - 265lbs, Soph, OL/DL
61 - Cody Bricker, 6'1" - 290lbs, Senior, OL/DL
62 - Tristan White, 6'0" - 200lbs, Soph, OL/LB
63 - Austin Howard, 6'2" - 235lbs, Soph, OL/DL
67 - Jerrid Speck, 6'2" - 270lbs, Soph, OL/DL
75 - Conway Cooper, 6'3" - 260lbs, Senior, OL/DL
83 - Tyler Moore, 6'0" - 150lbs, Soph, TE/DE

The playmakers are Levi Ratliff, Kyle Auger and Adam Bricker. Each of the three are capable of beating teams with their legs, while Auger and Bricker are dangerous receivers out of the backfield as well. West doesn't throw the ball a lot, but when they do, Ratliff is a 3-year starter that rarely makes mistakes and throws a nice ball with a strong arm. They will also run a couple of other backs and their line is full of juniors and seniors with at least two full years under their belts, including a D-IV playoff appearance last year.

I'll leave it up to the West posters to take it from here...

1darkhorse
Waterboy

Post by 1darkhorse »

Good luck to West from Valley. Should be a slobber knocker!

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

West is a good team. Big o-line and good hard-running backs. Can pass pretty well when we use it.

Played one really good team in Valley on turf and lost. But I think we did learn some things that can translate into this game as NY sounds very similar to valley in style of play offensively. West isn't slow. But this will probably be another case of speed versus power and who can get the game tempo and style the way they want it.

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

I have only watched NY once and have not watched West at all, so obviously, I have no clue about the outcome of this game.

However, I see that West won easily in week 10, while NY lost a heart-breaker that I think the players and coaches fully expected to win.

I think it will be tough for NY to get off the mat. If NY does win, it will be a demonstration of excellent mental toughness and leadership from the players and coaches.

Return to “Football”