vinton co drops jackson in football

A-Town Big Dog
S

Re: vinton co drops jackson in football

Post by A-Town Big Dog »

It's good for both schools at this point and if VC can rebuild their program I'm sure the game could be renewed.

handwash77
Waterboy

Post by handwash77 »

jungle cat wrote:I have heard Jackson is trying to pick up Porstmouth East or maybe Green? That is if they can not sign Manchester first.

HAHAHA really??

JIronmen1120
Waterboy

Post by JIronmen1120 »

ive heard jackson has already added athens and wheelersburg weeks 4 and 5 next year so week 3 would still be open... portsmouth west, ironton, sheridan, logan elm.... id love to see one of these teams added

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

If Vinton County has indeed dropped Jackson from its football schedule, I couldn't be happier. The game does nothing for Jackson, and I'm glad to see it go.

Jackson has already added Athens and Wheelersburg to next year's schedule, replacing Ironton and St. Charles. Weeks 6-10 will be SEOAL games, and it appears that Athens and Burg will be Weeks 4 and 5, so it looks like Week 3 is open. I'd love to see a deal somehow worked out with Ironton to keep them on the schedule. If that can't happen, Portsmouth West or Nelsonville-York would be my next picks out of teams in this area.

However, I would definitely like to see Jackson go out of the area to add a game. I'm not so sure playing DeSales or Watterson would be that beneficial in the grand scheme of things, but a game with Sheridan or Tri-Valley, for example, would be great. Logan Elm, as JIronmen1120 said, would be a good option too.

maniac66
All State

Post by maniac66 »

ironman02 wrote:If Vinton County has indeed dropped Jackson from its football schedule, I couldn't be happier. The game does nothing for Jackson, and I'm glad to see it go.

Jackson has already added Athens and Wheelersburg to next year's schedule, replacing Ironton and St. Charles. Weeks 6-10 will be SEOAL games, and it appears that Athens and Burg will be Weeks 4 and 5, so it looks like Week 3 is open. I'd love to see a deal somehow worked out with Ironton to keep them on the schedule. If that can't happen, Portsmouth West or Nelsonville-York would be my next picks out of teams in this area.

However, I would definitely like to see Jackson go out of the area to add a game. I'm not so sure playing DeSales or Watterson would be that beneficial in the grand scheme of things, but a game with Sheridan or Tri-Valley, for example, would be great. Logan Elm, as JIronmen1120 said, would be a good option too.
West and NY are Division 5 schools why keep playing lower level schools you have one in wheelersburg already.just a question playing up is usually a better overall plan but who knows.

indianabuck
All State

Post by indianabuck »

IDK if NY would fit into the schedule. I know they have an opening week 4 right now next year. Im not sure if they Re signed with Berne Union or not. Am I wrong or was Newark Catholic a 4 year contract or did I miss hear?

As for Vinton County, Id like to see them schedule someone who is closer to them in talent the next couple years to show where they are at this point in the season.

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

maniac66 wrote:West and NY are Division 5 schools why keep playing lower level schools you have one in wheelersburg already.just a question playing up is usually a better overall plan but who knows.
If Jackson's administration decides to stay in the area, they don't have many options. Yes, NY and West are smaller schools, but they're also VERY competitive. They win a lot of football games, which means massive amounts of Level 2 points if Jackson can beat them.

As I said, I'd like to see Jackson go out of the area and schedule a D2 or D3 team like Sheridan, Tri-Valley, or Logan Elm. However, since the MVL has so many leagues games, that probably already rules out Sheridan and Tri-Valley for Week 3. That's the thing that makes it even more difficult. You can throw out all kinds of ideas, but the schedules have to match up too.

Ideally, I would want Jackson to schedule someone who will not only give them computer points (if they're fortunate enough to beat them), but also prepare them for the playoffs. Hopefully that's what happens.

maniac66
All State

Post by maniac66 »

ironman02 wrote:
maniac66 wrote:West and NY are Division 5 schools why keep playing lower level schools you have one in wheelersburg already.just a question playing up is usually a better overall plan but who knows.
If Jackson's administration decides to stay in the area, they don't have many options. Yes, NY and West are smaller schools, but they're also VERY competitive. They win a lot of football games, which means massive amounts of Level 2 points if Jackson can beat them.

As I said, I'd like to see Jackson go out of the area and schedule a D2 or D3 team like Sheridan, Tri-Valley, or Logan Elm. However, since the MVL has so many leagues games, that probably already rules out Sheridan and Tri-Valley for Week 3. That's the thing that makes it even more difficult. You can throw out all kinds of ideas, but the schedules have to match up too.

Ideally, I would want Jackson to schedule someone who will not only give them computer points (if they're fortunate enough to beat them), but also prepare them for the playoffs. Hopefully that's what happens.
How about washington CH that isn't that bad of a drive is it?
Or circleville or what leagues are they in? I know Circleville is down right now but they should rebound Just curios is all I know Jackson is surrounded by a lot of smaller schools and I see your point with them schools being good completion but come playoffs do they help then when you have to play up to your level or is just making the playoffs a goal?
Not picking a fight just wondering is all.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Jackson vs Parkersburg would be a good matchup.

JohnKnight
Varsity

Post by JohnKnight »

VC dropped Waverly as well.

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

maniac66,

Jackson has played Circleville in the past, and did very well against them. As you said, they have struggled recently, but it might not be a bad game.

Jackson hasn't played WCH since the early 1950s, but that's a game that I would probably like.

Another game that might be good for the Ironmen would be Canal Winchester.

I guess we'll see what happens. Making the playoffs is a goal, but doing well in the playoffs is obviously even more important. Improving the non-league schedule would make that a much better possibility.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Who did Jackson face to help us beat The teams we have beaten over the years in the playoffs?

Playing NY or PWest every year would be a game every year you'd have to play very well to win....which is an upgrade over the current situation.

My #1 choice right now would be Logan Elm with Washington CH and NY next.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Logan Elm, Circleville,Teays Valley, I would even try Amanda.
Parkersburg --don't need that--If you are going to play a WV school go with Point P.
Athens and The Burg are good ones.

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

Ironman92,

I think that playing playoff-caliber teams throughout the regular season is definitely helpful once the post-season rolls around. A huge part of playoff success is obviously based on your talent, but being tested with tough games throughout the season gets you used to having to compete at a high level to win football games. I'm not one of those guys who says Jackson needs to play powerhouses every week, but I do think playing D2 or D3 playoff teams would only help to improve the overall program. Games like that may be the difference between winning one game in the playoffs, or maybe winning two or more.

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

Licking Valley has an open date during Week 3 next season. That would be a VERY challenging game for Jackson to add to the schedule.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I don't disagree, but I also have yet to see any correlation over all of the playoff years of Jackson winning or losing the playoff game based on their regular season schedule.

Didn't our most impressive playoff win in school history happen after losing two of the bigger heartbreak games in JHS history? Do I have the wrong year?

And again...my first choice is Logan Elm

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

No, you're exactly right. Jackson beat Withrow after going 8-2 in 2004. Many of those same players beat Mt. Healthy the year before. And of course, Jackson beat Hillsboro in 1996.

Jackson has been to the playoffs eight times, with only three wins. I'm proud of every one of those playoff appearances, and especially the three wins. Jackson beat some good football teams, and lost to some other teams that were VERY good.

I don't necessarily disagree with you either. If Jackson had played different opponents, would they have went deeper into the playoffs during those years? Maybe, maybe not. I do think that if you consistently play good football teams, though, and challenge yourself, that you will benefit from it in the long run. Will it lead to more playoff success? I can't say for sure, but I certainly don't think it would hurt.

The key is finding a nice balance, much like Ironton does. They put together a pretty smart schedule every year. They play a couple teams like Jonathan Alder or Hartley, for example, to test themselves against playoff competition. If they win those games, it's a huge boost in the computer rankings. If they lose, they find out where they stand, but they also have other games that they'll usually win to pick up the slack. In the end, it's a mix of challenging your team and putting together a strategy that will allow you to reach your end goal, more often than not.

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

This year is probably a good example of why Jackson's schedule needs to be improved a little. I'm not trying to get ahead of myself because the playoffs are a LONG way off, but this is just a hypothetical.

Anyway, it looks like Jackson almost HAS to go 9-1 or better to just get in the playoffs. Waverly and Vinton County are offering little help. Ironton offers a bundle of potential points, but it looks like St. Charles is going to struggle to find many wins. Wellston may be able to help out, but many of their TVC games will be tough tests.

I guess you could say if Jackson doesn't go 9-1 or 10-0, they probably wouldn't be able to compete in the playoffs, but I would be sick if this team didn't get a chance to play in Week 11. They need to earn that right on the field, but it's partly not even up to them. You can only control what you do yourself, but with the playoff system we have, you have to be conscious of those other circumstances as well.

billcox
Varsity

Post by billcox »

I heard that VC is playing South Point and Gahs next season. South Point is a good move for the Vikings. Gallia Academy is not a wise addition for VC at this point in time. I also heard VC is dropping Waverly for next year. Im not sure how this makes sense.

GalliaGrad78
SEOP

Post by GalliaGrad78 »

SouthernStorm wrote:I heard that VC is playing South Point and Gahs next season. South Point is a good move for the Vikings. Gallia Academy is not a wise addition for VC at this point in time. I also heard VC is dropping Waverly for next year. Im not sure how this makes sense.
grrrrrrrrrrr.................

Return to “Football”