RUSSELL RED DEVILS VS. IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, THOUGHTS

philthyphil
Varsity

Re: RUSSELL RED DEVILS VS. IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, THOUGHTS

Post by philthyphil »

OHbuckeye1 wrote:
philthyphil wrote:
OHbuckeye1 wrote:I wasn't at the game because of work.

I believe our extra point kicker was 2 for 2 in attempts when we actually tried kicking a PAT correct me if I'm wrong. Maybe our kicking game will be alright, time will tell.
With both kicks barely making it over the crossbar, which is all that matters.

Interesting, I was at practice yesterday except for a couple bad snaps or ball positions he was nailing it. He even lined up and kicked a 30 yard Field Goal and made it.
He nailed an extra point in pregame warmups with no problem.

98jettakeoff
Waterboy

Post by 98jettakeoff »

Russell may not have a lot of outside speed, but there's probably a kid or two
who can go. The key is, of course, they gotta' get outside, or into gaps on
the Ironton defense. It would be interesting if Russell hangs with Ironton
early, and then it turns into a game of either Ironton decidedly pulling
away, or Russell hanging around and hanging around, the longer the game
plays out. Not sure the young Wheelersburg team last week brought out
the best game in Ironton, albeit, was the lid lifter.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

thats what is gonna be tough on opponents from what i saw friday albeit 1 game, they have very quick lateral pursuit, and even tougher up the middle. and they will be all over the qb, if the line can't block. which could make them vulnerable to screens, play action, and and draw plays, so our linebackers , and deep backs have to be very disciplined.

Godfather
Waterboy

Post by Godfather »

ok Ironton rolls they are strong as any team not slow by far people better open there eyes there the real deal . they have hart an a never quit outlook on the game an there healthy so buckel up red devils u mite have ur hands full

BubbleGumTiger
SEOPS Hippo

Post by BubbleGumTiger »

first forecast is for hot and muggy with a chance of precip........

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

so nice to have a covered stadium, unless it's really hot.

caglewis
SEOP

Post by caglewis »

From the Ironton Tribune
http://www.irontontribune.com/2011/09/0 ... ing-games/
Ironton, Russell to match running games
Published 3:23am Thursday, September 1, 2011

By JIM WALKER

Tribune Sports Editor

Maybe there’s no record for the fastest game played, but if there is such a record the Ironton Fighting Tigers and Russell Red Devils could make a run at it this Friday.

Both teams prefer to run the ball rather than go to the air and that could make for a quick game when they resume their series.

Ironton leads the series 22-3-1 but won just 29-13 last season after leading only 15-10 at the half.

“Russell is going to line up and run right at you. They’re a lot like us,” said Ironton coach Bob Lutz. “Wheelersburg tried to spread us out, so this will be a different look for us to adjust to this week. We’ll see how tough we are up front.”

Russell returns plenty of starters including running backs Zach Thompson, Paul Spradlin and Logan Dehoff. Thompson had 89 yards on 20 carries last year as Russell ran 65 plays, 50 on the ground.

Ironton ran just 34 plays in last year’s game and all but three were on the ground.

“All their backs run hard and they will block for each other,” said Lutz. “Thompson not only runs hard and blocks well, but he’s a good athlete.”

Thompson ran for 176 yards and two touchdowns in last week’s 35-14 win over Greenup County.

If Russell elects to throw the ball, quarterback Googie Hayes (5-8, 160) has a big target in 6-foot-6, 250-pound tight end Justin Davidson. Thompson will also play some split end.

Another key receiver is Michael Pennington who also has good size at 6-foot, 205.

“Their quarterback has a nice arm and he has some speed. I think he was 3 of 4 last week so he’s accurate, and he will tuck it and run,” said Lutz.

Russell’s running game is made possible by a big offensive line that is comprised of center Preston Herring (6-4, 250), guards Jacob Adkins (5-11, 220) and Jace Kibby (5-10, 220), tackles Eric Pierce (6-3, 240) and Montana Scaggs (6-3, 260).

Also in the mix up front is Jon Kennedy (5-10,190) who is an excellent pulling guard.

“They’ve got good size, experience, they’re aggressive and they like to trap you up and down the line,” said Lutz.

Most of the offensive starters flip over to defense and Lutz said “they are aggressive and they will fly to the ball.”

Pennington and Pierce are the tackles with Kenney and Dehoff the ends. Kibby is the nose guard.

Davidson and Spradlin are the linebackers and the secondary has Zach Thompson and Miles Mussetter at the corners while Tory Huffine and Dylan Howard are the safeties.

Kickoff on Friday is 7:30 p.m.

osu 77
All State

Post by osu 77 »

Ironton will push them up and down the field with their size.

The one thing I have noticed about Ironton offensive linemen they are slow footed that could cause them problems with teams that have some size and speed.

tk421
Varsity

Post by tk421 »

Gonna be a hot one. 90 degrees at 7pm.

beefcake
Waterboy

Post by beefcake »

I could not get an answer last week, but does coach Lutz talk about the games at te tiger clan meetings,and if so, can anyone attend? would love to sit in and listen to him .

I know its to late for this week, but maybe the week of a big game , one of the columbus teams?

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

tk421 wrote:Gonna be a hot one. 90 degrees at 7pm.
----------it's gonna be hotter than satan's crotch up there in that covered stadium friday.

tk421
Varsity

Post by tk421 »

I agree. I love the covered stadium if it rains, but man the first 3 or 4 weeks it's hotter than hell and humid. Really cuts down on any kind of breeze.

on a mission
All Conference

Post by on a mission »

GO TIGERS GO! GO TIGERS GO! Tigers if they come ready to play!

cant stop this
All State

Post by cant stop this »

Speed will be the difference tonight. Both teams tough and physical, I see Hager having a big night 3 possibly 4 scores! He is a powerback with speed and if your going to play 9 in the box him among the other backs will take advantage and turn in big plays all night. With speed being the key tonight in my opinion Patrick Lewis will have good night if they can get him outside i don't see to many Red Devils catching him in the open field. Hopefully the Defense plays like they did last week and the option comes along a little better than last week.

I AM FORREST
Riding the Bench

Post by I AM FORREST »

FORREST SAYS: RED DEVILS 27 kittens 3 !!!!!

Vision Quest
Freshman Team

Post by Vision Quest »

I AM FORREST wrote:FORREST SAYS: RED DEVILS 27 kittens 3 !!!!!
Oh Forrest. :lol:

Godfather
Waterboy

Post by Godfather »

oh forrest even jenny knows ironton rocks this one

caglewis
SEOP

Post by caglewis »

At my house in the northwest end of Ironton my unofficial thermometer says 98 degrees outside in the shade. Russell is just across the River. It's dangerously hot to be doing ANYTHING outside, let alone sustained physical effort in the sun - which won't fully set for nearly an hour after game time. I hope all officials are cognizant of the dangers and no one thinks it's "wimpy" to pay attention to players' or observers health and well-being. Too HOT is as dangerous as any other physical contact.
GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS - but not at the expense of anyone's personal health/safety!
I'll be starting a separate UPDATES thread shortly from inside my house - not outside in the sun and heat! Take care and stay hydrated folks - and when they say "drink a lot", they mean WATER!

AT THE HALF - 8:30 PM
IRONTON 14 - RUSSELL 0

FINAL SCORE - IRONTON 20 - RUSSELL 14

streetballer
Varsity

Post by streetballer »

good win for ironton...at least russell prooved some of u all wrong it wasnt a blowout like u guys thought it would be

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

i love the cannon, have not seen it out since the 70's. very good game by both squads tonight, both left it all on the field. ironton's turnover toward the end of the game nearly cost them. but they held on for a hard fought win.saw alot of missed tackles in the second half by the fighting tigers, and d- linemen crashing through but over running the ball carrier.russell had a big ole solid team, i give credit, where credit is due. ironton needs to work on tackling. russell should have a great year this year as well. next up the chillicothe cavaliers, is it already gonna be week 3 , man, oh man it flies by.

Return to “Football”