Final Athens 24, Nelsonville-York 21

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Re: Final Athens 24, Nelsonville-York 21

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Tyler_Durden wrote:
Tyler_Durden wrote:FANOSPORTS... "too much hype as the Buckeyes are clearly the superior team... mark my word: N-Y will win by 3 TDs." Okay, marked it. Guess we won't listen to you anymore.
Sorry FANOSPORTS, you pompously said these things, so they are naturally going to be served back to you... in the flavor of crow.

If N-Y played like they are capable of, they would've won by 21, IMO they are still the better team but for the first time all year they didn't play two halves. It's as simple as that, the best team doesn't always win that's why in other sports you have best of 5, 7 etc. but football is a different animal. I'm still waiting for Davey to win a meaningful game. Hopefully N-Y will play Wynford around Columbus here so I can make the short jaunt in week 2 because Athens will get destroyed in week 2 wherever they play in this DIII region, it's loaded and you'll see what I mean if you make it to week 2. (If they can get by Logan Elm next week who lost to Amanda-Clearcreek tonight, 14-17).
Last edited by FANOSPORTS on Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Daniel Larusso
Varsity

Post by Daniel Larusso »

I voted wrong on this game. I picked Nelsonville to win this game and the TVC Ohio football title. Oh well, that just means instead of winning 11 out of 12 TVC Ohio titles that Athens will win all 12. I guess the teams in the TVC Ohio will just have to get better. :122248

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Daniel Larusso wrote:I voted wrong on this game. I picked Nelsonville to win this game and the TVC Ohio football title. Oh well, that just means instead of winning 11 out of 12 TVC Ohio titles that Athens will win all 12. I guess the teams in the TVC Ohio will just have to get better. :122248

You're right, they might as well anchor the all-sports trophy to the outside of Athens High School for eternity now. (with an * of course and we all know why). ;-)

Tyler_Durden
Freshman Team

Post by Tyler_Durden »

FANOSPORTS wrote:
Tyler_Durden wrote:
Tyler_Durden wrote:FANOSPORTS... "too much hype as the Buckeyes are clearly the superior team... mark my word: N-Y will win by 3 TDs." Okay, marked it. Guess we won't listen to you anymore.
Sorry FANOSPORTS, you pompously said these things, so they are naturally going to be served back to you... in the flavor of crow.

If N-Y played like they are capable of, they would've won by 21, IMO they are still the better team but for the first time all year they didn't play two halves. It's as simple as that, the best team doesn't always win that's why in other sports you have best of 5, 7 etc. but football is a different animal. I'm still waiting for Davey to win a meaningful game. Hopefully N-Y will play Wynford around Columbus here so I can make the short jaunt in week 2 because Athens will get destroyed in week 2 wherever they play in this DIII region, it's loaded and you'll see what I mean if you make it to week 2. (If they can get by Logan Elm next week who lost to Amanda-Clearcreek tonight, 14-17).
Wow.

I hope you don't take yourself too seriously. I doubt anyone else does.

soccerfanatic
Freshman Team

Post by soccerfanatic »

A-Town Big Dog wrote:To answer a question asked on the other thread, yes Athens did add two former Senior soccer players to the team this week. We have had soccer players who wanted to play both sports at the same time but the soccer coach wouldn't let them due to fear of injury. This season we had a couple of kids who wanted to help out after soccer season ended and man did that ever work out!

A-Town Big Dog: Don't put the soccer guys not kicking in the past on me (the soccer coach), I've never forbidden a player from kicking if he wanted to. It usually came to the player wasn't suited for it or he choose not to do it for other reasons, such as wanting to only focus on one sport. It's not easy to do two sports at the same time. Don't forget that we've had a kicker from my team before since I've been coach.

With all that said:
Congrats to the Bulldogs! We're all very proud of you. Congrats to Seth Brooks on hitting the winning field goal in OT (first field goal in his career). He and Nathan Cotton did a fantastic job. In the end, soccer or football, we're all Bulldogs and look to support each other.

What an exciting game of football! There were several players who came up big for us tonight and have a great deal to be proud of. Awesome win for the school.
Last edited by soccerfanatic on Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

[ If N-Y played like they are capable of, they would've won by 21, IMO they are still the better team but for the first time all year they didn't play two halves. It's as simple as that, the best team doesn't always win that's why in other sports you have best of 5, 7 etc. but football is a different animal. I'm still waiting for Davey to win a meaningful game. Hopefully N-Y will play Wynford around Columbus here so I can make the short jaunt in week 2 because Athens will get destroyed in week 2 wherever they play in this DIII region, it's loaded and you'll see what I mean if you make it to week 2. (If they can get by Logan Elm next week who lost to Amanda-Clearcreek tonight, 14-17).[/quote]

Wow.

I hope you don't take yourself too seriously. I doubt anyone else does.[/quote]

After you've seen various teams in different regions around the state a couple times, you'll figure it out.

buckfan84
All Conference

Post by buckfan84 »

Judges say, "close enough."

96stroker
JV Team

Post by 96stroker »

Sorry if this quesion has been asked already ! What do u think the attendance was at tonights game? Anyone know?

questionmark
All Conference

Post by questionmark »

96Stoker - From up above on top of the Press Box, both stands were filled by each school, all the standing room was filled, and people were standing all along the the fences around R.B.R. Field...best guess maybe 5000 people give or take...

maniac66 - The only things we know about the Athens Bulldogs and SEOAL is that Athens is (3-0) against SEOAL Teams (Galia, Warren, Chillicothe) and may very well get a Championship of Champions Games with (10-0) Athens vs. (10-0) Jackson in Week 11...

FANOSPORTS - Had to throw it out there, had a hard time with your thinking of a blow-out in the Athens/NY Game by either side so I had to throw the crow your way for your 21-0 snoozer comment...

SOCCERFANATIC - We Have Soccer! And thank god we do. You are right that whatever the sport you play, we are all Bulldogs and congrats to your 2 gentlemen who helped us tonight, especially for instilling those Ice Cold Veins into Mr. Brooks on his 3 extra points and eventual OT Game Winning Field Goal...

ALL BUCKEYE FANS - Wow, not only did you bring everyone from NY to the game that helped support a local school, but you have been totally classy with your comments on here after losing a hard fought ball game. Good Luck in Week 11, as I will be rooting for those great gentlemen that I got the privilege to student teach last year.

ALL BULLDOGS FANS - We need the same thing we just did tonight again next week against whom ever makes the trip to our House. We need to come out in droves and support these (10-0) Bulldogs for completing one of the most memorable seasons of football since our '09 (9-1) squad. Coach Adams and Staff, Rick Essex and the Bulldogs Blitz all deserve us coming out to support our Bulldogs especially after all the work they have put in on the Field and with our young Bulldogs!

PS...Austin Ziolkowlski! Way to wear that #2 tonight young man! You made this (Former #2) Proud!

WitnessProtection
All Conference

Post by WitnessProtection »

Wow! Sounds like this was a classic! Congrats to Athens.

NYBucksDad
JV Team

Post by NYBucksDad »

Congrats to the Athens Bulldogs on their win and going 10 - 0 and getting a home field playoff game, Congrats to the Nelsonville York Buckeyes on a great season and going 9 - 1 and it’s looking like a home playoff game, this was a hard hitting game and these kids left it all on the field, and from what I heard tonight Trimble Tomcats made it into the playoffs how great is that, that we can all sit here and say 3 of our 5 Athens County Schools made it to week 11. Great job kids and keep playing the game.

buckman
Freshman Team

Post by buckman »

Great game! The loss stings, but both teams get a home game. Good luck to both teams.

Blue_Steel
Freshman Team

Post by Blue_Steel »

FANOSPORTS wrote:
Daniel Larusso wrote:I voted wrong on this game. I picked Nelsonville to win this game and the TVC Ohio football title. Oh well, that just means instead of winning 11 out of 12 TVC Ohio titles that Athens will win all 12. I guess the teams in the TVC Ohio will just have to get better. :122248

You're right, they might as well anchor the all-sports trophy to the outside of Athens High School for eternity now. (with an * of course and we all know why). ;-)

Well Being an SEOAL person, I can tell you that the "BIG" Team Logan, Rarely won the all league trophy, It usually went to Warren, Marietta or Athens. So if you want, you can explain why Athwns will win the all league trophy each year?

I didn't want Athens to leave the SEOAL, I thought outside of football, but seen this team coming, competed in everything else. But glad they are being succesful where they are at. That being said, why not try some SEOAL teams on your schedule?

JoeGatto
JV Team

Post by JoeGatto »

Blue_Steel...uh they did 'try some SEOAL teams on their schedule.' Athens was 3-0 this year against SEOAL teams (Gallipolis, Warren, and Chilicothe).

diamondD1
JV Team

Post by diamondD1 »

Blue_Steel wrote:Well Being an SEOAL person, I can tell you that the "BIG" Team Logan, Rarely won the all league trophy, It usually went to Warren, Marietta or Athens. So if you want, you can explain why Athens will win the all league trophy each year?
I think that was being said in context of the past couple years.
Blue_Steel wrote:I didn't want Athens to leave the SEOAL, I thought outside of football, but seen this team coming, competed in everything else. But glad they are being succesful where they are at. That being said, why not try some SEOAL teams on your schedule?
30% of the games this year were.

gymrat88
JV Team

Post by gymrat88 »

This was a great game by 2 great teams. Congrats to Athens on a perfect season, and congrats to N-Y on another great season.

Overall I thought the officials did a good job, but I have to ask about the hurdling penalty they called on Sharp towards the end of the 4th quarter. Can anyone explain to me if that is indeed a personal foul, and if it is, why isn't juking, spinning, and stiff arming? Not trying to muddy the water, but I have never seen that called before and was shocked to see it. Regardless, both teams put it all on the line tonight and treated this county to a show unlike any other seen before.

diamondD1
JV Team

Post by diamondD1 »

It really is a penalty in high school football. I am not certain if it is just an OHSAA penalty or if every state enforces it. I believe the rule states that if you leap over a player who is standing with one or two feet on the ground then it will be enforced as a 15 yard personal foul called "hurdling."

Some may wonder why this wasn't called in the Alexander game when De'Von hurdled the player at the 6 yard line and then went on into the end zone. It may be because, if you notice the photos taken from that game, the defensive player was on both knees at the time De'Von was hurdling over him.

gymrat88
JV Team

Post by gymrat88 »

diamondD1 wrote:It really is a penalty in high school football. I am not certain if it is just an OHSAA penalty or if every state enforces it. I believe the rule states that if you leap over a player who is standing with one or two feet on the ground then it will be enforced as a 15 yard personal foul called "hurdling."

Some may wonder why this wasn't called in the Alexander game when De'Von hurdled the player at the 6 yard line and then went on into the end zone. It may be because, if you notice the photos taken from that game, the defensive player was on both knees at the time De'Von was hurdling over him.
Thanks for the clarification.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Maybe the chant by the NY student section during the volleyball game wasn't so clever afterall ...

Talk about ironic.

BTW - Its week 11 so good luck to both teams!!! I sincerly hope both teams fare well next Friday.

81dendmhs74
JV Team

Post by 81dendmhs74 »

I was able to watch a really good high school footbal game at Athens last nite. I am a little worried for both teams in week 11 if they don't clean up the turn-overs and pentalties. I Do however want to say that I'd love to see both teams make a deep run in the playoffs this year. Any word from NY on how the Cline boy is, saw him being helped off late in the game. Good Luck to ATHENS and NELSONVILLE show what the TVC has....

PS: Hey all NY posters I was with FOS at the game, and I think he is a buckeye at heart....

Return to “Football”