Your schools best team(s) ever!

Howard Cosell
All Conference

Your schools best team(s) ever!

Post by Howard Cosell »

Tell us about what you believe was the best team ever at your high school. Who were the key players, coaches, greatest games that year, etc. Lets spin some yarn boys!

This is Howard Cosell. Tellin' it like it is!
Donnie Hagglethorpe
Freshman Team

Re: Your schools best team(s) ever!

Post by Donnie Hagglethorpe »

I will be happy to get this party started. At eastern, we take great pride in the accomplishments of our teams from 1971 and 1981. The 71 team was lead by the greatest coach in eagle histroy, Roger "Buzz" Kirkhart! One of the top players on that team was John "chuck" Sheets. we would have won a state title that year with Kirkhart leading the way if we could have only been in the playoffs.

The 81 team was lead by the greatest coach ever at Eastern, ARCH ROSE! He basically willed the team to a perfect year. The team also got some leadership from Mike Bissell. This team woulda been Stae Champs if Ohio had only allowed us in the playoffs.

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

Portsmouth would probably be 2001 or 2002. The jojo Years. I didn’t get to see them play. I was in the army living in Germany. But from the stories you couldnt punt or kick on Portsmouth and run game was amazing.
Last edited by Beergogglebluez on Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
burgfella69
JV Team

Post by burgfella69 »

2017 and 2018 with 2018 probably being the best Wheelersburg team ever.
Coach Rob Woodward had weapons the likes of Tanner Holden, Makya Matthews, Cole Lowery, Xander Carmichael, CJ Hall, Alex George and Trent Salyers on offense and Nic Parsley, Xander again, Evan Dahm, Makya again, George again, Lowery again, Bryson Keeney, Avery Donini, Tanner Wilson. All of these guys were offered to play somewhere and I'm probably missing people.
Last edited by burgfella69 on Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Baldeagle
Varsity

Post by Baldeagle »

Donnie Hagglethorpe wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:02 pm I will be happy to get this party started. At eastern, we take great pride in the accomplishments of our teams from 1971 and 1981. The 71 team was lead by the greatest coach in eagle histroy, Roger "Buzz" Kirkhart! One of the top players on that team was John "chuck" Sheets. we would have won a state title that year with Kirkhart leading the way if we could have only been in the playoffs.

The 81 team was lead by the greatest coach ever at Eastern, ARCH ROSE! He basically willed the team to a perfect year. The team also got some leadership from Mike Bissell. This team woulda been Stae Champs if Ohio had only allowed us in the playoffs.
I would have to say the 1995 Eastern team that won the TVC has to get some consideration. They had Casey Coffey, Jason Sheets, and Brian Bowen. I think Coffey was a better coach than Arch.

spider2Ybanana
JV Team

Post by spider2Ybanana »

burgfella69 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:33 pm 2017 and 2018 with 2018 probably being the best Wheelersburg team ever.
Coach Rob Woodward had weapons the likes of Tanner Holden, Makya Matthews, Cole Lowery, Xander Carmichael, CJ Hall, Alex George and Trent Salyers on offense and Nic Parsley, Xander again, Evan Dahm, Makya again, George again, Lowery again, Bryson Keeney, Avery Donini, Tanner Wilson. All of these guys were offered to play somewhere and I'm probably missing people.
You mean 2017 best team ever, right?

Ground Buck
All Conference

Post by Ground Buck »

The 1981 Nelsonville-York team was the best. There is no second to them. :mrgreen:

Disclaimer: This is all an opinion and I am therefore hoping we can still express opinions on this site without retort.
Ground Buck
All Conference

Post by Ground Buck »

Donnie Hagglethorpe wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:02 pm I will be happy to get this party started. At eastern, we take great pride in the accomplishments of our teams from 1971 and 1981. The 71 team was lead by the greatest coach in eagle histroy, Roger "Buzz" Kirkhart! One of the top players on that team was John "chuck" Sheets. we would have won a state title that year with Kirkhart leading the way if we could have only been in the playoffs.

I would have loved for NY's 81 team to get a shot at that Eastern team you mentioned. Talk about an asz whipping. No Eastern team would have ever won the state, that's laughable. But if you want to see a state championship trophy come on up to Buchtel. We'll show. you what one looks like. :mrgreen:

Disclaimer: This is all an opinion and I am therefore hoping we can still express opinions on this site without retort.
koondoger
JV Team

Post by koondoger »

Trimble would be 2013, hands down. Only loss was in state finals. Won more games in a season than any other Trimble team. Broke all single season records. Best ever group of asst. coaches too. :mrgreen:

Retirement life is the greatest! That's how teh koondoger sees it! Selling cars ain't too bad neither. :mrgreen:
koondoger
JV Team

Post by koondoger »

Ground Buck wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:07 pm The 1981 Nelsonville-York team was the best. There is no second to them. :mrgreen:
The 2017 team would challenge them if only due to coaching. If they weren't better they were a close second. :mrgreen:

Retirement life is the greatest! That's how teh koondoger sees it! Selling cars ain't too bad neither. :mrgreen:
OSU22
Varsity

Post by OSU22 »

koondoger wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:23 pm
Ground Buck wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:07 pm The 1981 Nelsonville-York team was the best. There is no second to them. :mrgreen:
The 2017 team would challenge them if only due to coaching. If they weren't better they were a close second. :mrgreen:
the 17 team was blessed with talented (and fast) athletes, but 81 would have physically hurt each and everyone of them. I think 81 is by far the best, I actually think 17 doesn't even rank top 3 just because of how good/physical the 94 & 97 teams were. the 17 team had a terrible time stopping the run so I would think that Gail would put 300 yards on them easy and then Robey and Glass would have had a great day as well. It is extremely hard to compare teams in different era's though. I mean, I don't think, as stated above, 17 would last with any of the likes of the teams I just mentioned, and even a few teams between 2000 and 2012. Just because of the style and tempo of the game that was played at the time. NY has had some phenomenal teams....But I think 81 is unquestionably the best hands down.

koondoger
JV Team

Post by koondoger »

OSU22 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:35 pm
the 17 team was blessed with talented (and fast) athletes, but 81 would have physically hurt each and everyone of them. I think 81 is by far the best, I actually think 17 doesn't even rank top 3 just because of how good/physical the 94 & 97 teams were. the 17 team had a terrible time stopping the run so I would think that Gail would put 300 yards on them easy and then Robey and Glass would have had a great day as well. It is extremely hard to compare teams in different era's though. I mean, I don't think, as stated above, 17 would last with any of the likes of the teams I just mentioned, and even a few teams between 2000 and 2012. Just because of the style and tempo of the game that was played at the time. NY has had some phenomenal teams....But I think 81 is unquestionably the best hands down.
Well, there are only two criteria to go by. We can look at the record, and the number of games won including playoffs. 2017 team won 13 games, and 3 of those were playoff games, just like the 81 team did, and more than those other teams you mentioned. So, I can think of only one way to settle this. Let's have all those teams suit up and have an alumni tournament. Who ever comes out on top will be dubbed "best ever." Deal? :mrgreen:

OSU22
Varsity

Post by OSU22 »

koondoger wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:39 pm

Well, there are only two criteria to go by. We can look at the record, and the number of games won including playoffs. 2017 team won 13 games, and 3 of those were playoff games, just like the 81 team did, and more than those other teams you mentioned. So, I can think of only one way to settle this. Let's have all those teams suit up and have an alumni tournament. Who ever comes out on top will be dubbed "best ever." Deal? :mrgreen:
HAHAHA ABSOLUTELY! that would be fun! I'd love to see all the old guys from NY out there playing again.

OSU22
Varsity

Post by OSU22 »

koondoger wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:39 pm

But to put some serious thought into it, Like I said, it is hard to compare the teams because of the style in which the game was played and has changed. Yes they won 3 playoff games. But I think some teams of Buckeyes past would have beat those same teams. NY played in one of the hardest regions in the state for a while and going down to D6 helped ALOT. Also, Ronnie wend was a great Linebacker don't get me wrong. But I don't see him stopping the likes of Derek Arnold or Justin Cunningham, or even Jay Edward when he took off with it and especially not Gail lol. And NY has had a mix of different defenses in the past. Some teams sold out and you couldn't run on them, others like the team with Perkins and Breeze had nearly 25+ interceptions as a defense and teams struggled to pass. I LOVE what you said though. Suit em all up and lets have a Buckeye Gridiron Classic! I bet some of those old guys can still ball!

Kicker.
All Conference

Post by Kicker. »

Waverly I would say would be 2006 season probably one of best teams the schools ever had, also the last time they won the SOC

A Kicker of various balls. Trust The Process
Da Bears
Freshman Team

Post by Da Bears »

Not from Nelsonville, but knew Coach Boston Sr personally. I saw both play and the 2017 NY team would get physically destroyed playing the '81 team. Also, the '82 team that lost in the regional finals, at I believe Lancaster, would have beaten the 2017 team. I understand different styles of play, but both of those NY teams were strong, physical, and very fundamental.

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

Miami Trace 1977
Top Players Art Schlister and Glenn Cobb
Record 10-0
Coach Fred Zechmen

Southwestern 1980
Top Players Scott Russell, Dale Newberry, Jay Burleson
Record 8-2
Coach Jack James and Assistant Coach Keith Downing

South Gallia 2006
Top Players Dustin McCombs, Derrick Beaver, Dewey Cantrel, Tyler Duncan, and Vance Fellure
Record 8-3
Coach Justy Burleson
Last edited by MTSWNGRVSG on Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Izladoom
All State

Post by Izladoom »

I think Lucasville valleys best team had to be the 2011 team with Luke Keller and Blake Yates I know the 2014 team made it further in the playoffs but that 2012 team was special

burgfella69
JV Team

Post by burgfella69 »

spider2Ybanana wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:39 pm
burgfella69 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:33 pm 2017 and 2018 with 2018 probably being the best Wheelersburg team ever.
You mean 2017 best team ever, right?
i listed all the guys from both teams but I believe the 2018 was better, just not as deep

Bret Wrightsel
Riding the Bench

Post by Bret Wrightsel »

Chillicothe Cavaliers in my opinion,

1969 Coach Gary Durchick
1998 Coach Bill Dennis
2008 Coach Bill Davidson

Different eras so hard to pick one 69’ team was my favorite as bein a 11 year old hanging on the fence watching practice these guys were my idols, Denny Dailey, Bill Kuhner, Myron Lynch, and they played in the COL which was arguably one of the best leagues in the state at the time. Upper Arlington won the state title that year and this team had them down at halftime. Zanesville, Lancaster, Marietta & Newark all tough opponents!
98’ teams only loss was to Upper Arlington who had Jeff Backes And SimonFrazier on the roster. Cavs were loaded with talent, Adam Porter at QB, Obadiah Harris at DE, had speed, size and skill at nearly every position.
08’ team also had talent surplus with Caleb Knights at QB, Ron Smith, Alex Grow, Curt Smith and were fun to watch!

Return to “Tennis”