Your schools best team(s) ever!

OSU22
Varsity

Re: Your schools best team(s) ever!

Post by OSU22 »

Da Bears wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:27 pm Not from Nelsonville, but knew Coach Boston Sr personally. I saw both play and the 2017 NY team would get physically destroyed playing the '81 team. Also, the '82 team that lost in the regional finals, at I believe Lancaster, would have beaten the 2017 team. I understand different styles of play, but both of those NY teams were strong, physical, and very fundamental.
Should have been back to back State Champs

Flock_92
Freshman Team

Post by Flock_92 »

Minford would be 1985.

hannancoach
JV Team

Post by hannancoach »

I have to vote for either Hannah’s teams that beat Athens or possibly the team that beat Wahama back in the 1950s

Need to look back at some records

koondoger
JV Team

Post by koondoger »

OSU22 wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:38 am
Da Bears wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:27 pm Not from Nelsonville, but knew Coach Boston Sr personally. I saw both play and the 2017 NY team would get physically destroyed playing the '81 team. Also, the '82 team that lost in the regional finals, at I believe Lancaster, would have beaten the 2017 team. I understand different styles of play, but both of those NY teams were strong, physical, and very fundamental.
Coaching would be huge in the matchup among those NY teams. I'll make a sizable wager that the 17 team will beat those other teams soundly. Then we can all agree once and for all that they are the best ever. :mrgreen:

Retirement life is the greatest! That's how teh koondoger sees it! Selling cars ain't too bad neither. :mrgreen:
OSU22
Varsity

Post by OSU22 »

koondoger wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:44 pm
Coaching would be huge in the matchup among those NY teams. I'll make a sizable wager that the 17 team will beat those other teams soundly. Then we can all agree once and for all that they are the best ever. :mrgreen:
LOL and I'd put money against it!

koondoger
JV Team

Post by koondoger »

OSU22 wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:23 pm

How much you got to lose OSU? I'll match whatever you put up. We gotta get this scheduled. I can win a mint of you guys who think the older teams can beat the 17 guys. But we have to wait until after the season so Keegan can play. :mrgreen:

Retirement life is the greatest! That's how teh koondoger sees it! Selling cars ain't too bad neither. :mrgreen:
OSU22
Varsity

Post by OSU22 »

koondoger wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:48 pm

How much you got to lose OSU? I'll match whatever you put up. We gotta get this scheduled. I can win a mint of you guys who think the older teams can beat the 17 guys. But we have to wait until after the season so Keegan can play. :mrgreen:
Wait are we talking as in an alumni game or in their prime? lol

koondoger
JV Team

Post by koondoger »

OSU22 wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:49 pm

The only way to settle it is to have them play against each other. So that would be playing as alumni. So how much you got? :mrgreen:

meatswinger
JV Team

Post by meatswinger »

MTSWNGRVSG wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:32 pm Miami Trace 1977
Top Players Art Schlister and Glenn Cobb
Record 10-0
Coach Fred Zechman

Southwestern 1980
Top Players Scott Russell, Dale Newberry, and Jay Burleson
Record 8-2
Coach Jack James

South Gallia 2006
Top Players Dustin McCombs, Derrick Beaver, Dewey Cantrel, Tyler Duncan, and Vance Fellure
Record 8-3
Coach Justy Burleson
Yea, Mr. JD Graham sure was relieved that he didn't have to face that 1980 Southwestern team. His NC team would have gotten housed that year and he would have been greatly out coached. Just sayin.

OSU22
Varsity

Post by OSU22 »

koondoger wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:54 pm
OSU22 wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:49 pm

The only way to settle it is to have them play against each other. So that would be playing as alumni. So how much you got? :mrgreen:
OH! nevermind lol yea I'll take youth on this one then haha

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Athens 1965
Chauncey Dover 1952
The Plains 1966

After Consolidation 2014

BondRoad Bandit
Freshman Team

Post by BondRoad Bandit »

Flock_92 wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:20 am Minford would be 1985.
Would’ve had a State championship if it wasn’t for C.A.P.E talk about a buzzsaw lol

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

meatswinger

If you are going to troll me and say stupid stuff at least get the years correct. You are thinking of the 1985 Soutwestern team that also went 8-2. Newerk Catholic probably would have defeated the 85 team fairly easily but SW did not get in. I will say this that both the 1980 and 1985 Southwestern teams were successful because of the players and not me!!!! I posted the team because I do feel the 1980 SW team is the best in school history and the members of that team deserve the credit: Scott Russell, Dale Newberry, Jay Burleson, Joe and Jerome Potter, Ron and Randy Hammond, Don and Ron Carr, Wayane Sizemore, Todd Baker, Beaver Stevens, Scott Lewis, Randy Kessinger, Randy Layton, Greg Terry, Steve Forgery, Mike Daines, Doug Evans, Steve Miller, Kevin Emery, Eugine Bates, Joe Gilbert-23 members.Two Assistant Coaches: Keith Downing and Roger Foster

Some may say that 1961 and 1985 were better.

I figure you will make something out of this post because you enjoy trolling me and making fun of me. Just to let you know I consider my head coaching career a failure. I hope you get some enjoyment out of this when you have a little extra time in class. Heck the truth is I probably know you.

I probably should make this my last post!

Jack James

wipala
Varsity

Post by wipala »

well, I am old enough to remember the 1953 Trojans...IMO the best football team to come out of southern ohio.
This was when PHS was in the GOL at the height of its glory.
Different era, i know this, but football is football.
I also know there have been some OUTSTANDING AND AWESOME TEAMS
from southern ohio, but this team was the greatest I had the joy of watching.
Now for the worst,,,1962, lost homecoming to Middletown 98 or so to 14 ouch

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Kicker. wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:06 pm Waverly I would say would be 2006 season probably one of best teams the schools ever had, also the last time they won the SOC
I think you would have to include the DR Robinson Tiger squads of the very late 1980's.

Record wise the Tiger squads of 1967-69 would have to be mentioned. 27-1-2 over that period, ending Portsmouth Notre Dame's thirty some game win streak and fighting to an epic 14-14 tie against then undefeated Jackson. I know high school football was just a fall sport at that time with little or no off season training, and today's players are bigger, stronger, faster. Still I would like to think those young men would have held their own in this day and age.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

wipala wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:33 pm well, I am old enough to remember the 1953 Trojans...IMO the best football team to come out of southern ohio.
This was when PHS was in the GOL at the height of its glory.
Different era, i know this, but football is football.
I also know there have been some OUTSTANDING AND AWESOME TEAMS
from southern ohio, but this team was the greatest I had the joy of watching.
Now for the worst,,,1962, lost homecoming to Middletown 98 or so to 14 ouch
I attended that game against the Middies. Of course the Trojans still had honor from their 61 basketball state championship. The Greater Ohio League back then was on par with the best in Ohio high school athletics.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
allamericanironman
All Conference

Post by allamericanironman »

Omega wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:21 pm
Kicker. wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:06 pm Waverly I would say would be 2006 season probably one of best teams the schools ever had, also the last time they won the SOC
I think you would have to include the DR Robinson Tiger squads of the very late 1980's.

Record wise the Tiger squads of 1967-69 would have to be mentioned. 27-1-2 over that period, ending Portsmouth Notre Dame's thirty some game win streak and fighting to an epic 14-14 tie against then undefeated Jackson. I know high school football was just a fall sport at that time with little or no off season training, and today's players are bigger, stronger, faster. Still I would like to think those young men would have held their own in this day and age.
1969 undefeated Jackson Ironmen some say state champions

Can’t find my program but two other teams before 1969 also had state championship seasons. When gene slaughter played he was unstoppable. He would knock people out cold when he hit them. He knocked two men unconscious on same play.
Last edited by allamericanironman on Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

MTSWNGRVSG wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:48 pm meatswinger

If you are going to troll me and say stupid stuff at least get the years correct. You are thinking of the 1985 Soutwestern team that also went 8-2. Newerk Catholic probably would have defeated the 85 team fairly easily but SW did not get in. I will say this that both the 1980 and 1985 Southwestern teams were successful because of the players and not me!!!! I posted the team because I do feel the 1980 SW team is the best in school history and the members of that team deserve the credit: Scott Russell, Dale Newberry, Jay Burleson, Joe and Jerome Potter, Ron and Randy Hammond, Don and Ron Carr, Wayane Sizemore, Todd Baker, Beaver Stevens, Scott Lewis, Randy Kessinger, Randy Layton, Greg Terry, Steve Forgery, Mike Daines, Doug Evans, Steve Miller, Kevin Emery, Eugine Bates, Joe Gilbert-23 members.Two Assistant Coaches: Keith Downing and Roger Foster

Some may say that 1961 and 1985 were better.

I figure you will make something out of this post because you enjoy trolling me and making fun of me. Just to let you know I consider my head coaching career a failure. I hope you get some enjoyment out of this when you have a little extra time in class. Heck the truth is I probably know you.

I probably should make this my last post!

Jack James
I know that 1980 team at Southwestern was very good because Wahama went 8-2 scoring a lot of points that year and their 2 losses came @ Trimble and to the Wayne Wv pioneers when they were good and I went to the game @ Southwestern which was a very well played defensive struggle with Wahama coming out ahead at the end 6-0 which was one of Southwesterns two losses. That was a fine team. If I recall correctly, the high school in OHSAA annals went by "Patriot Southwestern" back in those days which is an unincorporated town. That school district did well IMO in sports back then with not a lot of population and funding in the old SVAC. The Burleson kid was the Qb if I remember right and the Potter kid the rb (built like a fire hydrant).

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
Kicker.
All Conference

Post by Kicker. »

Omega wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:21 pm

you’ve got a point, just didn’t think of it because it’s a little before my time but yeah those were some great times for Waverly tiger football

A Kicker of various balls. Trust The Process
outerbanksjake
JV Team

Post by outerbanksjake »

1995 Bellaire

Return to “Tennis”