What is a good score for a rookie golfer

boogerred
All State

What is a good score for a rookie golfer

Post by boogerred »

I justed started playing recently and was wondering what would be a legitimate goal for a rookie golfer.

I recently played my second ever half round and shot a 60 with two pars at CLiffside Golf Course in Gallipolis.

JChipwood
All Conference

Re: What is a good score for a rookie golfer

Post by JChipwood »

60 is respectable boogerred, the 2 pars is awesome for a first round and will also keep you coming back to the course. TV golf is not indicative of the real golf world. Golf provides the greates dispairity between the pros and ams compared to any other sport. Don't get me wrong, NFL, NBA, or MLB players are ALOT better than the average guy could ever be but guys on the PGA tour play at a level that is far greater than most can ever imagine. Par is not easy to make and the fact that you made 2 says alot. As you probably found out golf is not a game of your good shots but rather how good are your bad shots. Hit each shot one at a time and you will improve, you must have good hand-eye coordination to have made 2 pars in your initial 9 holes. If you could break 105 by the seasons' end I would say that is an awesome but obtainable goal if you have the time to play much. You, coming from a wrestling and football background, (judging by your posts) I would advise to swing easy and make solid contact to get more from each shot. And practice chipping and putting, nearly 50% of the shots are close to the green. Good luck!

boogerred
All State

Post by boogerred »

I have to honestly say I pulled one of those pars out of my behind. It was a par three that I hit with seven feet with a pitching wedge. If I could put at all I should have had a birdie.

My drive is long but I slice it considerably; however, my slice is consistent, so I aim about 50 feet away from where I want it to go, and that seems to work better than aiming staraight.

JChipwood
All Conference

Post by JChipwood »

Consistancy is the key. You can work that slice out with time but right now just get comfortable and work on solid contact with a healthy mix of chipping and putting. Having fun is important and it is a game that you can play competitively later in life without too many injuries. Good luck!

boogerred
All State

Post by boogerred »

I shot a 114 (18 holes, 59 front and 55 back) this morning and got my first-ever birdie (hole number 8 ). It felt great and I am sure a lot of people knew it, cuz I let out a great big yell.

Return to “Golf”