TRI-STATE GOLF TOUR @ BELLEFONTE

butcherman108
SEO

TRI-STATE GOLF TOUR @ BELLEFONTE

Post by butcherman108 »

Congratulations to Josh Zornes on his third straight tour event win today at Bellefonte Country Club.Great job keep it up.

pleasanttiger
SEO

Re: TRI-STATE GOLF TOUR @ BELLEFONTE

Post by pleasanttiger »

Great job Josh. CONGRATS

Rhiannon
All Conference

Post by Rhiannon »

Tri-State Junior Golf Tour at Bellefonte

Greene wins 16-18 division
Staff report

BELLEFONTE — Josh Zornes couldn’t have wanted much more.

Except for maybe a chance to play No. 17 again.

The 15-year-old from Ironton made five birdies and shot 74 for the low round of the Tri-State Junior Golf Tour event Monday at Bellefonte Country Club.

“That’s the best I’ve played in one of these,’’ said Zornes, who is now 3-for-3 in the tour’s 13-15 age group this season. “I could have shot lower, but I had a seven on No. 17.’’

The triple bogey, however, couldn’t spoil a big day for Zornes in only his second trip around the Bellefonte Course.

“I played here last year in the same tournament and shot maybe 81 or 82,’’ he said. “Today, I felt really comfortable with my putting and driving.’’

Zornes made birdie putts on two of the first three holes but found himself in a tight battle with Aaron Hieneman of Greenup County and Nick Saunders of Gallipolis going to the back nine.

“We all shot 38 on the front,’’ Zornes said. “All three of us were playing well.’’

Zornes quickly created some space with two more birdies, including a 20-footer on No. 11.

He also sank a lengthy putt on No. 15 — a testy par-3 over water to a sloped green.

“I made some putts that really helped,’’ said Zornes, who will be a sophomore at Ironton High School. “This course can give you trouble.’’

Hieneman finished at 77 and Saunders came in with a 79.

In the 16-18 age group, Greenup County’s Shawn Greene led the way with a 79 total.

“Nothing great,’’ Greene said of a round that included nine pars and nine bogeys. “It was a boring round, really, but I didn’t have any three-putts. I just played consistent.’’

Greene, a senior-to-be at GCHS, finished three shots ahead of two Ironton golfers and picked up his second win on the tour this summer. The other came at Portsmouth Elks Country Club.

The Bellefonte tournament had 53 players. Mitchell McFarland of Wheelersburg won the 10-12 division.

“The golf course was in great shape,’’ said TSJGC director Tyson Phillips. “The kids really enjoyed it.’’

The Tri-State tour schedule has three more stops — all in West Virginia. The next event is Thursday at Riviera Country Club.

BubbleGumTiger
SEOPS Hippo

Post by BubbleGumTiger »

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Golf”