Mighty Mighty Devils
All Conference

Is Ohio's weight guidelines fair?

Post by Mighty Mighty Devils »

Your thoughts?

ole chief
Freshman Team

Post by ole chief »

I have always heard those horror stories about kids cutting weight, and starving themselve during a time that their bodies need the most nourishment. This is the time during a persons life that their bodies are growing rapidly. Many kids are just coming off of football season, which in some cases they have just spent the previous 9 months trying to pack on the pounds. It seems like a bad scenario to me. I still know kids that have to cut 8-10 pounds in like 24 hours. I like the guidelines, but than I have not wrestled. I think the coach needs to be more responsible in pushing kids into a lower weight class, just to get the roster filled. I know that is part of the sport, hopefully the guidelines will prevent it from getting so extreme.

pdub05
Waterboy

Post by pdub05 »

in football you pack on the pounds but you lift with it making it muscle. in wrestling you cut of the fat so i dont think there is any problem with it. It can be taken to far making it unhealthy but theres not many kids who couldnt use to loss 10 extra pounds.

Tomahawk
Waterboy

Post by Tomahawk »

Last year my son was one of the boys that got caught by the body fat percentage. He weighed 105 lbs at the alpha and was made to wrestle 112. What I don't understand, is by the end of the season he was wrestling kids that had cut from 125. Huge difference, not only in size, but strength as well.

Mighty Mighty Devils
All Conference

Post by Mighty Mighty Devils »

I see your point tomahawk by the time the growth allowance kicks in they could be giving up 5 pounds of muscle to there opponets it really is punishing kids for staying in top shape year round The new rules may need a little tweaking, hopefully they will keep a eye on things an try and fix any problems.

logan78
Riding the Bench

Post by logan78 »

i feel the guidelines are fair if you dont wanna cut the weight wrestle in a larger class or dont put the weight on to begin with

mr.dude2010
Freshman Team

Post by mr.dude2010 »

a couple guys on our team got caught by the weight guidelines, their alpha weight is around .2 over the next lowest weight class, which is kinda unfortunate

tric118
All State

Post by tric118 »

ttt

Return to “Wrestling”