WHAT SCHOOLS NEED TO ADD WRESTLING?

madpolecat
All State

WHAT SCHOOLS NEED TO ADD WRESTLING?

Post by madpolecat »

Why would you not offer wrestling, especially at places that offer things like golf?

What schools out there should have wrestling that don't?

Mighty Mighty Devils
All Conference

Re: WHAT SCHOOLS NEED TO ADD WRESTLING?

Post by Mighty Mighty Devils »

wrestling really benifits your football program especially your linemen

coal miner's son
Freshman Team

Post by coal miner's son »

Ironton, Portsmouth, Zanesville, Wheelersburg

Nybucks70-80
Varsity

Post by Nybucks70-80 »

There is only one answer to the above question.

All of them!

Mighty Mighty Devils
All Conference

nybucks70-80 wrote:There is only one answer to the above question.

All of them!

I am with you all the way on that one there is no other sport like it no politics if you want to play you gotta pay as in hard work and focus the season is long and grueling but for most of the kids even the ones that are not the best thay are never ready for it to end

boogerred
All State

Post by boogerred »

I agree. No BS in wrestling. If you win the wrestle-off, then you are the number 1.

But when I was in college, I had to beat the "number one" heavyweight 2 out of 3 to take "his spot".

nybucksmom
JV Team

Post by nybucksmom »

I heard Alexander was finally adding a program this year. They've had a youth team for a few years. Hope this happens. This will benefit the TVC. :-D

madpolecat
All State

Post by madpolecat »

Ironton, Portsmouth, Zanesville, Wheelersburg

None of those schools have wrestling? That strikes me as odd, especially because there are PLENTY of athletes in those places.

Mighty Mighty Devils
All Conference

IRONTON AND PORTHSMOTH USED TO HAVE WRESTLING IRONTON I AM 100PER CENT SURE PORTHSMOTH ABOUT 90 PER CENT IT MAY HAVE BEEN PORTHSMOTH WEST

madpolecat
All State

Post by madpolecat »

How many of the SOC schools offer wrestling as a winter alternative to basketball?

I think wrestling would be a good thing for Oak Hill to offer.

goUK
Varsity

Post by goUK »

it may be the fact that some wrestlers develop bad habits in order to lose weight....i never wrestled, im just saying....maybe if what you weigh at the beginning of the season is what you have to wrestle all year long, or go up in weight I suppose

boogerred
All State

Post by boogerred »

obviously, you have never wrestled before. The goal is to get to the LOWEST weight you think you can and then drop another class.

goUK
Varsity

Post by goUK »

you have just proven my point, schools probably dont want the health risk

bengalfan76
SE

Post by bengalfan76 »

The State has set up restrictions to keep this from happening.

boogerred
All State

Post by boogerred »

The state has had guidelines in the past...

Like the no running off weight before the match and we all see them doing that; also, the no trashbag rule is broken a lot.

As for hydration tests, those can easily be faked. We did it in college. I don't know how many lightweights had someone else pee in their cups.

Do I condone all this ridiculous weight cutting? Not to the point of it being unhealthy, but I don't see anything wrong with a kid that walks around at 220 cutting down to 215.

Mighty Mighty Devils
All Conference

The state has a mandated bmi ( body mass index) check along with the hydration test now. your bmi is checked and you are given the lowest weight you are allowed to wrestle in the season and a time limit as to when you can be at that weight . A kid that is in great shape has little body fat is probably only going to be allowed to move down one weight class its pretty good rule . I always said by the time you lose all the weight to get as low as you could you had lost so much muscle you were better off to stay where you were in the begining but the days of kids starving themselves and all the other crazyu stuff are pretty much over

coal miner's son
Freshman Team

Post by coal miner's son »

You will not see kids cutting 10-12 lbs the night before, or coming in on Monday 10-15 lbs overweight. All of which was a loss of water weight. Unfortunately, there are those that still feel that wrestling is ALL about weight loss. I wrestled grades 7-12 and never cut more than 2-3 lbs. In fact, very few guys on our team cut more than 5 lbs. I think that the reason wrestling isn't popular because it's hard. Football is easy compared to wrestling. I can say this because I played football, wrestled and ran track from grade 7-12; wrestling is by far the toughest of them all.

wrestlefan
JV Team

Post by wrestlefan »

if nobody on your team cut more than 5 pounds, your team prolly wasnt very good...
reality is the best teams have kids that cut some serious weight...
wish it wasnt like that but it is what it is
as a coach, the years that we have a lot of kids cutting, we end up having the best records and the most stress!
the years that we dont have kids cut, we arent very good, but there isnt much stress involved.

nybucksmom
JV Team

Post by nybucksmom »

This hydration-testing thing doesn't make things any better in my opinion. I knew a kid (from another team, in another part of the state), whose Dad was a doctor. He knew exactly how to work around that test. Kids that practiced with him told us about it at the TofC that year, and what the Dad was planning to do to get the results they wanted. It's a shame that you have to do such things, just to feel more confident that you'll win a state championship. That kid probably could of won it wrestling the next weight class up, he was that good.

tric118
All State

Post by tric118 »

Kids do still come in 15lbs over on Monday and cut the weigh each week. Not much has changed since the body fat testing. Just like anything else there are ways around it and people work hard every year to find it.

Return to “Wrestling”