Marietta's Nate Hupp honored

schenk11
All Conference

Marietta's Nate Hupp honored

Post by schenk11 »

MHS wrestler honored
By Kevin Pierson, kpierson@mariettatimes.com

As soon as sophomore Nate Hupp gets his hands on Marietta wrestling coach Jeff Walker’s practice sheet his eyes are quickly checking it over.

And not to see what’s on tap for the day.

“He even gets my outlines for practice, looks it over, and I’ve got to get it away from him because he’s always spell checking it,” Walker laughed.

In the classroom and on the wrestling mat Hupp has a very direct approach — learn as much as he can.

Spending his free time researching opponents for his wrestling matches and dedicating the rest to his school work Hupp was rewarded with Academic All-Ohio honors this season.

To qualify for Academic All-Ohio students must maintain a minimum 3.5 cumulative GPA while qualifying for the state wrestling tourney.

“I was extremely happy. I almost couldn’t believe it,” Hupp said of receiving the academic honor.

Schoolwork is definitely the focus for Hupp who is in all advanced classes designed to help prepare him for the future.

“It’ll help in the long run. You always want to push yourself,” Hupp said, noting the advanced classes combined with an Academic All-Ohio honor will look great on a college application.

History is the Tiger grappler’s favorite subject and he’s looking forward to many more years of school work before entering into his chosen profession.

“I actually want to be a vet,” Hupp said, adding he can’t wait to begin the long journey towards a veterinary practice.

When he’s not doing homework and hitting the books Hupp is using his mind in other ways, notably preparing for his next wrestling match.

As soon as Hupp learns who his next opponent is he heads to the computer and begins perusing stats, common opponents and tendencies.

Sometimes those records are easy to find. Other times they take a lot of searching.

Regardless of how hard it is to find the information with a week’s notice Hupp has built up a scouting report coaches can envy.

“If I get enough time ahead I’ll spend 20-25 minutes a day just looking at his stats and everything,” Hupp said of his scouting.

In the Tiger wrestling program education is a major focus for the athletes and something they’re constantly reminded about from their coaches.

“We preach grades all the time. Nate’s one of them I don’t have to worry about,” Walker said.

While there are certainly challenges to succeeding on the wrestling mat and in the classroom, particularly with finding the time in the day for both, Hupp said it’s all part of being a student and an athlete.

“It gets hard but you’ve just got to do it if you want to excel,” Hupp said.

Mighty Mighty Devils
All Conference

Re: Marietta's Nate Hupp honored

Post by Mighty Mighty Devils »

congrads to a great kid I have met him and my son has worked out with him a few times glad to hear he got recognized for his accomplishments

Nybucks70-80
Varsity

Re: Marietta's Nate Hupp honored

Post by Nybucks70-80 »

I talked with him at Team Hammers open mats the other day. He seems like hes got his stuff together!

Return to “Wrestling”