sacrificing your wants for the teams needs

team_xc
Riding the Bench

sacrificing your wants for the teams needs

Post by team_xc »

At this level to double like Tyler and Nick did is a big thing,” Riffey said. “They gave it their all, and that’s all we ever ask of them.”

To me thats what team is all about. you run more than one event to help your team. Could either of these guys finished higher in the 2 mile had they not run the mile. My guess is yes. would their team finished as high in the state had they just run the 2 mile, my guess in no.
I dont care what level div 1 2 or 3 , you have to make this kind of sacrifice to help your team. nuff said!!

GAHSNOW
Freshman Team

Re: sacrificing your wants for the teams needs

Post by GAHSNOW »

I couldn't agree more. Gallia girls had to sacrifice a lot of individual needs the last few years for the team. Sometimes good, sometimes not so good......if your team has a shot at a championship....it's a different ballgame.

warrnwarriorfan
Varsity

Post by warrnwarriorfan »

I sat and had this exact discussion with Sally Maddox last night at a summer league basketball game. These guys participated with the team in mind. Not that other athletes would not have under the same circumstances (Dils didn't have to worry about supporting a team effort). I applaud Cantley and Wilson for running both events. Their performance was amazing anyway. But the 3200 was very likely influenced by them both running the 1600. Especially when the main competition in those events was different.

I didn't look, does anyone know how many kids ran both events?
Last edited by warrnwarriorfan on Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

runhallerun
Freshman Team

Post by runhallerun »

fan - both did not PR - TC ran 9:25 following a 4:21 mile two weeks earlier at Districts. TC had allergies acting up all week - no excuses - but he was not 100 percent. He was missing a gear in every race, even the 4 x 8, (believe it or not 1:55 was sub par for Tyler in that race under those conditions - he did what he had to do - to win the race). Sometimes life is not fair, and he and Nick, and Sam left everything out there. A healthy Tyler, and Warren is a solid runner up. But these things are what makes sports exiting.

No excuses from Warren, they had a great season - sometimes you have to play with the cards you are dealt. Tyler ran 4:17 up there last year and he was so much stronger coming out of regionals this year. If he is healty, Warren goes 2 and 3 in the mile instead of 2 and 5 - that my friend is 5 more points toward the team title, and they finished 3 out of second. Who knows about the 2 mile race.

warrnwarriorfan
Varsity

RHR: I was looking at this season only. Wilson did PR in the mile didn't he?

blarge
Riding the Bench

Post by blarge »

Wilson's 4:18 in the 1600 was a PR and oh-so-close to Tyler's School record of 4:17.10 set at state last year. Cantley's 3200 PR and school record was 2 weeks prior at districts. Dils was fresh for the 3200. This was not likely to be a repeat of districts when Galen had ran the 1600 as well.
After the 1600, I'm told, the center of Tyler's face was "looking red", much like it did when his allergies and breathing difficulties slowed him in some races his freshman year. It's unfortunate that it struck that day, but any "what might have been" scenarios do not belong upon the shoulders of these guys. There are other team members who could possibly have qualified and scored points at state if they posessed half the off-season work ethic of the distance corps.
fan,
I wish you could have seen Nick in track during his 7th, 8th, and 9th grade years. Few gave him the chance to ever be a varsity letterman, let alone accomplish anything like this. It has been such a blessing to behold these guys.

runhallerun
Freshman Team

Post by runhallerun »

blarge - not putting any "what if" scenarios on those boys shoulders - they were the "heart and soul" of this team - both - for the last two years.

Fact is - as they went at state - so went Warren - and they "went" - great - but they will tell you - TC's allergies showed up the wrong week.

Looking forward to following their careers thru college. Hit the books - thatotherguy - or some otherguy will be running in your spot - LOL!

I am very proud of Nick and Tyler - not sure their will ever be another 1/2 punch like that around here.

Dils was also fresh for the 2 mile at regionals, and TC ran the mile - he did cruise there at 4:27.

Thatotherguy
Freshman Team

Post by Thatotherguy »

I didn't look, does anyone know how many kids ran both events?[/quote]

Wilson and Cantley were the only ones to run both 1600 and 3200.

However Leslie and Spike did run both 1600 and 800.

Cap'n Scoop
All State

Post by Cap'n Scoop »

Sorry to hear about Tyler's allergies...I know he has had to fight through them before. Most Warren kids are TEAM players throughout the entire school. Great bunch out there right now.

Tyler and Sammy both made the right decision to run track but I would have loved seeing them play baseball. They would have really helped out this year. Especially Sammy, that boy understood how to hit a baseball!

4sporterEHS
SEOP

Post by 4sporterEHS »

Nick Wislon is a great story. Finishing 2nd in the 1600 wa a great way to finish his senior year. Plus his part in the 1st place 4x800 team. He works hard every race, it was evident if you saw him finish the mile at State, left it all out there. Great Job man.

Thatotherguy
Freshman Team

Post by Thatotherguy »

RICKYVAUGHN wrote:Seriously, Cap'n? State qualifiers in Track and Field should have played baseball? This sport of ours gets no respect. :roll:

What a ridiculous thing to say. :|

I agree where would they get with baseball? :?
Maybe a regional showing. I'm sure they would never give up the state meet experience to be on the baseball team.

Cap you do realize that the average baseball scholarship is 3,000. That might pay your meal plan. :lol:

Oh and I love how people say they got a full ride when they only have there tuition paid.

Cap'n Scoop
All State

Post by Cap'n Scoop »

Reread my post fellas. I said they made the right decision to run track. Just was stating they were both good baseball players.

Read and comprehend before you go off the deep end on me.

Cap'n Scoop
All State

Post by Cap'n Scoop »

Rickey, not sure what your problem is. I have had the opportunity to coach both of these boys, 2 of my favorite players to work with. Always working hard with the team in mind. In no way do I think they should have traded track for any other sport. A State Championship is a unique experience and I for one could not be happier for their accomplishments. You Mr. Vaughn need to lose the chip on your shoulder.

warrnwarriorfan
Varsity

Scoop: I read your post as a compliment to Tyler and Sam. You most certainly did say that they made the right decision to run track. You were just stating that you (as a former coach) would have loved to see them on the baseball field too. It's a compliment that you think they would have been an asset in that sport too. You can't really read your post any other way. Don't sweat it.

Return to “Track & Field”