The board met yesterday and finalized Spring tournaments. Here is track:

Track DI @ Marietta 5/22 @ 3:30
Div II @ WCH and Nelsonville York 5/20 and 5/24 Saturday starting at 3:00
Div III @ Southeastern 5/21 and 5/24 Saturday starting at 9:30

Pirate4Life
Riding the Bench

Re: district meet times and locations

Post by Pirate4Life »

Nelsonville York is not a very central location for that district. Looks like a long day of traveling for most.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

One thing about Nelson/York it is the best ran meet i have been to...... plus a lot of great people

It will surely be a meet i will be at.

jumphigh
Varsity

Post by jumphigh »

don't shoot the messenger

Pirate4Life
Riding the Bench

Post by Pirate4Life »

Do you think a change of start time might be considered for the meets starting at 3 and 3:30 given the number of schools with graduation on the 24th? I think the D3 meet has the right idea starting at 9:30. Makes for an early morning but I think athletes, parents and coaches would rather have an early day than have to make a choice between districts and graduation.

jumphigh
Varsity

Post by jumphigh »

my guess would be that there would be a lack of officials if they were both at the same time.

davewottle
JV Team

Post by davewottle »

Piketon and Ironton boys I believe go to D3. Will they be in North or South?

90buckeye
Varsity

Post by 90buckeye »

In D2, the list of teams for each district is being revamped. I do not foresee a lot of changes but I would imagine that the more northeastern teams of the southeast district will come to Nelsonville-York and the more southwestern teams of the district will go to Wash. CH. There are also some division changes since last year was a count year.

In D3, the southeast will have 8 boys qualifiers (2 districts) and 4 girls qualifiers (1 district). The boys teams will be seeded by coaches in early May similar to the way cross country has been seeded the last two years. No seeding is required for D3 girls since all 33 schools are in one district.

Day and time schedule corresponds to last year's schedule. The district athletic board is surveying schools now to ensure there are no graduation conflicts. Another factor in setting up the dates and times is the availability of the FAT timing system and operators.

Terry Young

Pirate4Life
Riding the Bench

Post by Pirate4Life »

Any word on the district meet time being moved? Ive heard they moved it to even later in the day?

PEAKER76
Waterboy

Post by PEAKER76 »

Sad we are making starting times because of officials instead what is good for the athletes
I know at least one school who wont get to participate in the districts due to graduation
it is not fair to these kids they have one maybe two who could go to the State meet and now aren't going to get that chance

Pirate4Life
Riding the Bench

Post by Pirate4Life »

I too am disheartened by the fact that seniors will have to decide between graduation and competing in the district track meet. This will continue to be a problem in the future. Many schools now hold graduation on Sundays to avoid conflicts with post season play for softball, baseball and track. While there will be some athletes affected the entire team won't be missing the meet. Underclass men will still compete and seniors unfortunately will have to make a choice.

jumphigh
Varsity

Post by jumphigh »

PEAKER76 wrote:Sad we are making starting times because of officials instead what is good for the athletes
I agree whole heartedly that it is a shame that the meet starting times is based on officials. There is a shortage of officials in the southeast. The average age of the officials in the area continues to rise. The pay for being an official is not bad if you love the sport of track and field. I would suggest that if you know someone or you yourself is interested you might consider becoming an official.

The OHSAA does things a little strange. It is too late to become a liscneced official this season but you might be able to volunteer at a few meets and get your feet wet. To become an official you must apply by December and attend 4 local meetings and pass a timed 100 question open book test. I know the chillicothe officials chapter would love to increase their numbers.

outsider
Freshman Team

Post by outsider »

Maybe some one may know for sure but I was told the reason for the time change is so that Baumspage could be at both meets DII and DIII.

jumphigh
Varsity

Post by jumphigh »

You are correct. He is doing the timing services at both meets. If there were another quality timing service available this would not be an issue.

Return to “Track & Field”