This the last state meet at Scioto Downs?

coachcook
Riding the Bench

This the last state meet at Scioto Downs?

Post by coachcook »

Due to slot gambling coming soon to tracks?

tap in bogey
Freshman Team

Re: This the last state meet at Scioto Downs?

Post by tap in bogey »

That's possible, from what I hear. Even though the facilities are getting worse each year, it would be a shame if that happened. The course hasn't changed over the past 24 years or so and that would be sad. I suppose we'll have to wait and see. I have no idea where it would be held if that happened.

Rich Hoffman
Waterboy

Post by Rich Hoffman »

I don't claim to have any knowledge or answers or ideas on this one, but I was reading an article and something struck me as curious. It stated the following:

"The meet has been held at Scioto Downs since 1985 and typically draws more than 10,000 spectators. It is not a money-maker for the OHSAA. Last year, it drew 10,051 fans and lost $5,934, according to OHSAA figures."

So, if I am reading that right, it drew 10,051 paying spectators, and at $9 per person that's $90,459. And they lost $5,934?

Does anyone have a breakdown on the costs, facility rental fees, etc., associated with the meet? I'm not making any accusations, I'm just curious what the costs are associated with the meet.

Does anyone know what the parking situation is at Voice of America park? They've had NCAA national meets, USATF national meets, youth national meets, and tons of HS meets there.

MariettaPride21
S

Post by MariettaPride21 »

WITH RAW SEWAGE ON THE FLOORS OF THE RESTROOMS IT SHOULD BE RAN @ ANOTHER PLACE!

tap in bogey
Freshman Team

Post by tap in bogey »

Wow, I missed the raw sewage. I suppose this is one situation where it was better to have used portajohns.

GAHSNOW
Freshman Team

Post by GAHSNOW »

I didn't think OHSAA lost money just on the State Meet...I thought it included the post-season as well. I know Troy didn't charge admission. If I were taking our team to the State Meet next year.....I bet I would be driving to Mid-Ohio. I just hope with the new figures coming out next year, that OHSAA doesn't wait til the last minute to decide who's going where so the schools can plan their schedules accordingly.

Return to “Cross Country”