Irontons Coach Mark Lafon steps down as Head Coach.

NewEra
All Conference
Location: Hickory, Indiana - I know everything there is to know about the greatest game ever invented.

Re: Irontons Coach Mark Lafon steps down as Head Coach.

Post by NewEra » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:29 pm

McKnight, young coach, loves the game, loves Ironton athletics, close to LaFon who is the AD. I think Pendleton at football and McKnight on the hardwood would be great combo as McKnight wants to see ALL Ironton athletic successful.

Bobevans
Waterboy

Post by Bobevans » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:58 pm

Where did he coach at in college...how successful was he coaching the jv. If Im not wrong. Lafon had everyone back this year and couldnt win the OVC. Lost to Fairland who had no one back

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS

Post by ohbuckeye2 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:50 am

Bobevans wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:58 pm
Where did he coach at in college...how successful was he coaching the jv. If Im not wrong. Lafon had everyone back this year and couldnt win the OVC. Lost to Fairland who had no one back
Who in the OVC didn’t lose to Fairland, who had no one back lol?? The Dragons had a great year.

Flyers58
Riding the Bench

Post by Flyers58 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:36 am

ohbuckeye2 wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:50 am
Bobevans wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:58 pm
Who in the OVC didn’t lose to Fairland, who had no one back lol?? The Dragons had a great year.
Right on OB2.......very good assessement of the situation........ ;) ;)

Bobevans
Waterboy

Post by Bobevans » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:19 am

No reply for where mcknight coached in college at or what his jv record was. It seems like most sll the ovc teams had s lot back except fairland. Id say Speed out coached all of thrm. Except for SouthPoint. Wise was the only one to beat Fairland I think.

BBallCoach23
Waterboy

Post by BBallCoach23 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:48 am

BobEvans: McKnight coached basketball at Capital University. I'm not really concerned about his JV record. I'm not from Ironton, but have seen him coach for several years now. He gets it! He understands what it takes to be successful on the hardwood at Ironton. The program would continue to thrive under McKnight.

I would much rather go play at the district level and have a shot at a title, as opposed to winning the OVC.

avalanche
JV Team

Post by avalanche » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:41 am

Congratulations to an outstanding coach. Mark was above all things consistent, and his teams played very hard, which is all a coach can ask at the end of the day.

To the people saying he will be easily replaced, lol, be careful what you wish for. You are coming off an 18 win season, and some are acting as if it was average. Now, your talent was average, but your coaching was anything but average.

The realization needs to be made that SE Ohio is watching its' population decrease, and as this occurs, it is going to become more and more difficult to sustain success. Ironton hasn't seen the type of athletes they are used to having for a decade, and to be honest, it is probably not coming back.

Anyways, congrats to a great man, a great father, on a very successful career. Time to relax and enjoy your kids.

Bobevans
Waterboy

Post by Bobevans » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:39 pm

Very weel said. Thats why I say look for the BEST coach you csn find and not settle for a jv coach. What were his duties at Capital. How long was he there and what coach was he under at
Capital.......In reference to winning tournament games. If you cant win the OVC your probably not going far in yhe tournament either. CG was fortunate to be in Div. 4 to make the run they made.

BBallCoach23
Waterboy

Post by BBallCoach23 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:37 pm

Bobevans wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:39 pm
Very weel said. Thats why I say look for the BEST coach you csn find and not settle for a jv coach. What were his duties at Capital. How long was he there and what coach was he under at
Capital.......In reference to winning tournament games. If you cant win the OVC your probably not going far in yhe tournament either. CG was fortunate to be in Div. 4 to make the run they made.
The information is readily available on the internet. He was there in '13' - '14' for sure.

As for not winning the OVC vs tourney games. Ironton, Chesapeake, and Coal Grove made it to Athens all while the OVC champs were at the house. They knocked off some rather big name teams as well.

Bobevans
Waterboy

Post by Bobevans » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:13 pm

It tales very little to get to the district tournament from the sectionals in this part of the state and very little more to the regional. Weak in this area. You know as well as I that Fairland is not a legit D2 team compared to other parts of the state.

Proud_Pirate63
All Conference

Post by Proud_Pirate63 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:19 pm

Fairland dropped to D3.

Bobevans
Waterboy

Post by Bobevans » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:40 pm

Thstd where they belong

GalliaTribe
Waterboy

Post by GalliaTribe » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:08 am

Bobevans wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:39 pm
Very well said bob evans

peake71
JV Team

Post by peake71 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:27 pm

Bobevans, The Peake didnt win the OVC but did make it to the district finals. If you get on a roll you can make a run.

Bobevans
Waterboy

Post by Bobevans » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:16 pm

The sectional and district tournaments in this area are not that difficult. It becomes very difficult when you reach the regional. When teams are getting beat 30 and 40 points tells you a lot about the competition

BBallCoach23
Waterboy

Post by BBallCoach23 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:17 pm

Kudos to the 3 teams from the OVC that made it to the convo, despite what BobEvans has to say. You had all had a good finish to the season! I was at all division 3 games at the convo and aside from the HP game where they won by 41, all games were close!!

Bobevans
Waterboy

Post by Bobevans » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:18 am

You dont get it I assume. Im not knocking the OVC or any teams from around this srea. Im for them 100 percent but when they do reach the regional you usually meet teams with a llot of talent and a prep school which in my opinion isnt right.

BBallCoach23
Waterboy

Post by BBallCoach23 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:32 am

No I get it.....

1. "the sectional and district tournaments in this area are not that difficult."...
2. "If you cant win the OVC your probably not going far in yhe tournament either. CG was fortunate to be in Div. 4 to make the run they made."....
3. "It tales very little to get to the district tournament from the sectionals in this part of the state and very little more to the regional. Weak in this area."

Are you finally satisfied that McKnight was a coach at Capital and should be considered for the Ironton job? After all, that is how this debate started and pertains to this thread.

bbjunky81
S

Post by bbjunky81 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:48 am

The thing that baffles me about Bobevans saying McKnight shouldn't be considered because he's a JV coach (even though he does have HC experience at Alexander)..... is that he praises Ironton for hiring Pendleton in football (who had NO HC experience and was only an assistant for a year or two prior to coming to Ironton)......

Doesn't really add up. Sounds like he has a bone to pick with Mr. McKnight.

Watching SE Ohio basketball and self-anointed pfloyd replacement when he gives it up.

BBallCoach23
Waterboy

Post by BBallCoach23 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:09 am

bbjunky81 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:48 am
The thing that baffles me about Bobevans saying McKnight shouldn't be considered because he's a JV coach (even though he does have HC experience at Alexander)..... is that he praises Ironton for hiring Pendleton in football (who had NO HC experience and was only an assistant for a year or two prior to coming to Ironton)......

Very good point!!

GalliaTribe
Waterboy

Post by GalliaTribe » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:57 am

bbjunky81 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:48 am

Got to be more qualified coaches than McKnight that would want this job. Heck the football position was offered to 3 people that were more qualified than pendelton before they got to him from what I have heard.

Bobevans
Waterboy

Post by Bobevans » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:38 am

If this were football there would be a big debate about the hiring. This tells us how basketball compares to football in Ironton. Just my opinion

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS

Post by ohbuckeye2 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:54 am

Bobevans wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:45 pm
How long ago was he the girls coach at Alexander. He hasnt been at Ironton that long has he..FIND THE BEST COACHH AVAILABLE
bobevans, you have 32 posts of which 16 of them are on this thread, why are you so concerned about who the Fighting Tigers hire?

Bobevans
Waterboy

Post by Bobevans » Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:35 pm

Wow, you are a good stat keeper..I dont care who they hire I just think the best possible coach should be hired at Ironton just like anyone else would do

GalliaTribe
Waterboy

Post by GalliaTribe » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:06 pm

Bobevans wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:35 pm
Wow, you are a good stat keeper..I dont care who they hire I just think the best possible coach should be hired at Ironton just like anyone else would do
I agree bob Evans. Sounds like ohbuckeye has a crush on someone.

Return to “Boys Basketball”