23 Regional Final: Fort Frye (12-0) vs Newark Catholic (8-4)

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Re: 23 Regional Final: Fort Frye (12-0) vs Newark Catholic (8-4)

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

If the N.C. staff continues to add new wrinkles and do not forget to feed #22, I think they will be hard to beat.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

You have to admit that Newark Cath has been inconsistent at times and they have struggled to score points. They have good wins over Columbus Acad and Nelsonville both those at the beginning of the year. Lol only Fort Frye has a win over a team playing in week 13. Once you make the playoffs who you played doesn't even matter I mean of course it made you better and more prepared but at the end the day those games don't matter all. Only thing that matters is the 4 qts on any giving night.One thing that I'm a little worry about is how will Fort respond if they get behind. The Cadets offense has dominated this year the line has been just so much better then most opponents.Like to see how they respond if they get hit in the mouth. Last week was a hard hitting game I think this one gets even more physical

gils
JV Team

Post by gils »

Newark Catholic's reason for being inconsistent on offense was due to the injuries of key people and moving people around during the year to cover the injuries but that helped build up the depth. This is the healthiest they have been since the first game of the year against Licking Valley.

Chalito
Riding the Bench

Post by Chalito »

EasternDspy wrote:So what's some thoughts on this game?
It's not real Complicated. If Ft. Frye can stop Gibson, they win this game pretty handily. If they can't it will probably come down to who has the ball last. If Ft Frye stops Gibson, 28-7 Ft Frye. If they can't, 42-35 toss up.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

I don't think it will be that high of score.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Fort Frye is (2-5) in playoffs all-time and NC is (71-28) with 8 state titles and 7 runner ups.

efarns
S

Post by efarns »

The Northridge cousins are leaning toward Fort Frye in this one.

TVC
Varsity

Post by TVC »

All stars meaning kids from different cities with massive populations in comparison to Beverly and some kids that even live in different county's playing a school that gets players from its own school district. Good luck Fort Frye

nc green wave
Waterboy

Post by nc green wave »

Seriously TVC? You've already been called out once for your first post and of course you failed to even respond.

If you know so much about NC then lay it out there. We would love to hear it.

Oh and Fort Frye is open enrollment so there goes your theory of getting everyone from its own school district.

TVC
Varsity

Post by TVC »

I am entitled to my opinion and I share it with 80% of high school sports fans in Ohio.
Good luck Fort Frye beat the private school from Newark.

nc green wave
Waterboy

Post by nc green wave »

That's not an opinion it's an accusation. Have the guts to attempt to back it up.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Trust me all the kids on the Fort team live in the district. Not any open enrollment players just a great group of Srs that's been together for awhile.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

I love the crying fans do when it comes to private schools, but always have some loser type excuse as to why the open enrollment schools are OK.

#IWENTOAPUBLICSCHOOL

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

It's not the Fort fans in here complaining.

Chalito
Riding the Bench

Post by Chalito »

TVC wrote:I am entitled to my opinion and I share it with 80% of high school sports fans in Ohio.
Good luck Fort Frye beat the private school from Newark.

NC had some really good transfers in the earlier years. With football now being more competitive than it was in the 70's and 80's, many of the players stay in their home districts. The expansion of the playoffs and now with just about every team in Ohio working in the weight room, speed training, etc.., you really don't see any athletes transferring into NC. In the earlier years, if a kid really loved football, they may have transferred because they knew at NC they would almost be guaranteed 12-13-14 games of football instead of the basic 10 and it's over. Now, if your school has a good year you are still going to get 11-12 or even 13 games of you have a good season. In the past 5-10 years there has not been one transfer that has been a difference maker. The kids that went through the system were the kids that basically played and became the core of the team. The kid that transferred from the Newark County School this past year is a really good player, and he will be a huge weapon next year. Other than that, NC hasn't had a transfer that anyone could say has been a difference maker. You could look it up but with the exception of the Newark County 76 or 77 team, the only county school that ever made the playoffs through the 80's may have been L Valley in the late 80's. Be a good stat to look up to see when any of the county schools made the playoffs for the first time. NC was pretty much a playoff contender from the beginning of the OHSAA playoffs. Other than that, nobody made the playoffs until later. Granville had a 10-0 year and they didn't make it. Johnstown had a 10-0 year and they did not make it. Watkins may have had a couple playoff appearances in the 90's. Since 2000, just about every County school has had at least a couple playoff appearances. Heath has had a couple, Granville has had quite a few, L Valley was a power in the early 2000's, Newark even made an appearance in the early 2000's. Heights has been in the playoffs. The only teams that have not made the playoffs ever may be Northridge, Lakewood, and Utica. Other than that they have all had a couple playoff berths. Plus, NC used to rip right through the county for the most part but not anymore. Johnstown beats them about every year, Heath bullied them this past year. Valley beat them just about every year until this past year, and for the most part Heights and Watkins beats them every year. It wasn't that way in the golden era for NC. NC usually had a 10-0 or 9-1 season before they went to the playoffs and won the county league just about every year before it broke up. And every year the team to beat was usually a different county team, depending on who had a good class of seniors that year. To sum it up, NC really does not recruit. NC just doesn't have the edge they used to have. High School football is now an equal opportunity weight room-speed training sport. The next couple years will be some really tough years for NC, especially if they have to go D5 until Competitive Balance is scrapped.

Take a good look when you see NC and then make the assessment of whether or not you think they recruit. Ft. Frye can certainly play with them. It will be just a matter of how Ft Frye performs being in this spot for the first time ever>>>>I think so...correct me if I'm wrong)

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

I have been to a Lakewood playoff game and to a Utica playoff game.

nc green wave
Waterboy

Post by nc green wave »

Chalito - I was fortunate to play for NC back in the 80's and I can assure you that we had less transfers then than there are now. And typically those who transferred in couldn't cut it. And before certain posters start jumping all over me about transfers what I mean is getting kids from other Catholic feeder schools. This didn't happen back in the 80's but now folks that live in Pataskala or Reynoldsburg may choose to send their kids to NC rather than Hartley since the tuition is less at NC and the drive is closer or very close to the same. Also some of the parochial high schools have closed so you have Mt. Vernon as an example and those kids drive to NC as that is their closest option. That is my contention with the competitive balance proposal. If a kid was never a part of the public system then they should not be multiplied, especially if they are selecting the closest parochial high school. Something else that should be considered is the legacy factor if you have generations attending the school even though they may live outside of Newark. The idea of only choosing one feeder school is ludicrous, especially when the city of Newark has two parochial grade schools and only one parochial high school.

I always loved what JD Graham used to yell at us at practice - "I love these people that accuse us of recruiting. Do you think we would waste our money on you people?

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Chalito is just trolling NC fans like he did River in week 1 of the playoffs when he said Ready would beat them by 40. Ok let's move this discussion to football. Can anyone list the NC starters grades height and weight.

Chalito
Riding the Bench

Post by Chalito »

LICKING COUNTY FAN wrote:I have been to a Lakewood playoff game and to a Utica playoff game.
Sorry man. I obviously missed it. What were the years and what is their complete playoff record. Just curious. Also, did you miss Northridge or have they also made the playoffs. Also, have you ever played any level of organized football?
Last edited by Chalito on Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chalito
Riding the Bench

Post by Chalito »

nc green wave wrote:Chalito - I was fortunate to play for NC back in the 80's and I can assure you that we had less transfers then than there are now. And typically those who transferred in couldn't cut it. And before certain posters start jumping all over me about transfers what I mean is getting kids from other Catholic feeder schools. This didn't happen back in the 80's but now folks that live in Pataskala or Reynoldsburg may choose to send their kids to NC rather than Hartley since the tuition is less at NC and the drive is closer or very close to the same. Also some of the parochial high schools have closed so you have Mt. Vernon as an example and those kids drive to NC as that is their closest option. That is my contention with the competitive balance proposal. If a kid was never a part of the public system then they should not be multiplied, especially if they are selecting the closest parochial high school. Something else that should be considered is the legacy factor if you have generations attending the school even though they may live outside of Newark. The idea of only choosing one feeder school is ludicrous, especially when the city of Newark has two parochial grade schools and only one parochial high school.

I always loved what JD Graham used to yell at us at practice - "I love these people that accuse us of recruiting. Do you think we would waste our money on you people?
You must not be aware of some of the kids that transferred in the mid-late 70's. The 80's had a few but not many. There are very few transfers now. I could give you the list but you may not remember them. The 80's cooled off because of the 70's high profile type transfers. The only athlete that I know of that transferred in this year us the kid from Newark. I don't think there has been a transfer in the past 10 years at NC except for this kid.
Last edited by Chalito on Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Football”