River 22 Buckeye Trail 7

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Re: WK9 River (8-0) @ Buckeye Trail (5-3)

Post by EasternDspy »

CFB1 wrote:
EasternDspy wrote:
Maverick4 wrote:Trail is joining the IVC, yes. Not sure if they'll play in non league or not. Trail should have a great shot at winning that small school IVC division next year.

Who is in what division?
Trail will be in the small school division with:
Malvern
East Canton
Strasburg
Tuscarawas Central Catholic
Sandy Valley ( not sure why they are going to be in the small school. They are one of the biggest schools in the league now. Word is that they refused to play Garaway and Ridgewood anymore. Very winnable league for Trail next year IMO.

Big school is:
Garaway
Ridgewood
Necomerstown (should be in small school)
Claymont
Indian Valley
Hiland (no football)

There are 2 crossover games for each team also. Not sure if those will rotate every few years or not.
JV trips to East Canton will suck.

Froggy801
Waterboy

Post by Froggy801 »

As I've said before Trail has something to prove this week and I think there gonna surprise some people. It's the first good season Trail has had since 2007. Trail has played good against really good teams not including Fort Frye though don't know what was going on that game but wasn't good. Trail has to pull the upset off if they wanna make the playoffs. I'm not saying Trail will shut down Rivers offense but I think they will hold them in check probably give up 20 points or so but I think Trails offense gets going this week and they win the game.

rickoshay
SEOP

Post by rickoshay »

Cadet Nation sure hope Trail can pull the big upset.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

As for Football and being a D7 school I just think the PVC was better then IVC for Trail.

rubberchicken
Waterboy

Post by rubberchicken »

No disrespect to the PVC, but its not a better football conference than the IVC. Trail will be fine in the small school division of the IVC, but they will by no means be the cream of the crop on a regular basis in the small division.

Maverick4
Waterboy

Post by Maverick4 »

In my understanding CFB1, the crossover games will change after two years. East Canton will be a haul for Trail but the facilities are decent up there. I know Trail opens up at Ridgewood next year which is not considered a crossover game, its a non league game for both schools.
And yes CFB, newcomerstown being in the big school division is a joke. Sandy Valley (a d5 which was a d4 school for many years, threatened to leave the league if they were not put in the small school, Which i wish they would leave) but yes they refused to play garaway and ridgewood, Both schools contacted Sandy about playing in a non league game and Sandy turned both schools down. Newcomerstown wanted to be in the big school league for less travel. terrible move for their kids and athletics. I believe trail could win that league next year. East Canton will be decent. Strasburg will be decent, but maybe a couple years away. TCC loses alot, Malvern will be getting better. Sandy Valley will be competitive.
but good luck to trail this week. if pontius is healthy i think it could be a shootout.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

rubberchicken wrote:No disrespect to the PVC, but its not a better football conference than the IVC. Trail will be fine in the small school division of the IVC, but they will by no means be the cream of the crop on a regular basis in the small division.

It's easy to make the playoffs in D7 I'm not saying the PVC is better in terms of strength in schedule I'm talking it's best for Trail. Shorter trips and easier opponents. Trail leaving for the IVC was just silly in my opinion.

rockcoach
Freshman Team

Post by rockcoach »

Why hasn't Pontius been playing? He seems to be the catalyst that makes the offense gel. They need him to compete with River.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

rockcoach wrote:Why hasn't Pontius been playing? He seems to be the catalyst that makes the offense gel. They need him to compete with River.

He played vs Fort Frye just wasn't effective and it could of been because he wasn't healthy.

Twogirls
Waterboy

Post by Twogirls »

Pontius had a thigh bruise that he was battling early, and then on the 2nd play against fort frye he sprained his ankle. he sit out last week only. thigh bruise is cleared.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

It's playoff time 2 weeks early for the Warriors. It might not be the most ideal situation but they have a chance to win this game and go to the playoffs. Leave it all on the field. Toronto showed last week you force the Pilots into turnovers.

osu
Freshman Team

Post by osu »

wagner97 wrote:I was at the West M game. Boy what I saw was a little bit different than what the local offensive and defensive coordinators on this board are saying.

Here's my recap:

(1) Pontius, who is responsible for nearly both 1,000 yards on the ground and air, did not play. #12 started. Not sure if this kid - who did a very good job managing the game - has ever started a game before.

(2) The first three out of seven plays on offense were some type of jet sweep, obviously hoping to get to the outside and not run between the tackles, as most of you on here are so up in arms about. This approached worked with mixed results, for West M aligned defensively to take both away the jet sweep (by slanting to the motion) and by alignment with safety help.

(3) Trail countered away from the strength to #22 and that resulted in a touchdown.

(4) Defensively, Trail played one of their better games of the season. Their coaches obviously had a decent game plan. One of you experts correct me if I am wrong (I'm sure you will) but didn't Trail spot West M something like 13 points on or because of special team missteps?

(5) Coming out at the half it was obvious - perhaps by playcalling - that Trail was going to give the ball to Snodgrass out of several different formations. I counted three: a trips set, spread, and what looked like a double tight or double wing set. Out of those formations I counted four different run plays, an isolation, trap, counter, and a qb isolation. On the first possession of the second half Trail marched down the field riding Snodgrass and punched the ball in.

(6) Defensively the second half was the best Trail has played all year. The blitzing packages that were called caused West M incredible trouble in both the running and the passing game. #22 must be getting near some sort of record at Trail for tackles. He was all over the place. Corners did well shutting down #44 for West M, who must have been something like 6'5" or so. That was one big kid. I was surprised that West M did not isolate him against man coverage and throw to him more often. Maybe their offensive coordinator is related to Trail's??? (LOL)

(7) Trail continued to pound the ball with Snodgrass, primarily out of a double tight set. Then, came back with several play actions passes to again #22, and to #4, who I believe scored a touchdown to take the lead.

(8) #22 on defense had a pick six to give Trail the lead for good. Once again, the blitzing caused West M's QB to throw an awful pass out their endzone that resulted in a great play by #22.

(9) Trail decides to run out the clock on the back of Snodgrass, which proved to be successful.

So from all of this it appears as if the game plan on both sides of the ball was to get the win without the passing game and running game that Pontius obviously adds. As for Fort Frye and Shenandoah (that several of you have mentioned? The Shenandoah game was played in an absolute mud hole. There was an hour long delay at halftime because of a down pour. On a dry field Trail wins that game by 14+ points. Fort Frye played completely cover zero against Trail and did so better than any team I have ever seen in high school football. Trail's receivers - those athletes that many of you have been call for getting the ball - were getting BLOWN off the line of scrimmage and unable to run their routes. If you are a receiver and can not get off of the line of scrimmage against cover zero, than you have no chance. Period.

Again, sorry for the long winded comments, but I must be watching a completely different game from the stands. I hear many of the ignorant comments that are made and just shake my head and keep my mouth shut.

Several years ago, Chuck Amato, the former head coach at North Carolina State, and now defensive coordinator at Akron, once told me: "There is a reason that fans sit and the stands, and that coaches stand on the sideline."

rubberchicken
Waterboy

Post by rubberchicken »

Trail has been bad for past couple years, the new coach has done a solid job, kids play hard, dont quit and play with excitement. Everyone thinks playcalling, hence the "up the gut" comment, wins and loses games. Thats just ignorant. Go watch Kirtland play, they run 4 plays, 3 of which are "up the gut". They seem to do ok. Talent wins games, not that coaching isnt important, but play calling, strategy, etc is over rated. Coaching success comes from motivating and relating to kids, getting them to buy in and believe in the program is the fundamental key to success, not running "up the gut" or "running outside" or "throw it deep" plays.

last poster to me sounds like a bitter or jealous parent of a player on the team, which is the root of most problems in a below average program.

Twogirls
Waterboy

Post by Twogirls »

osu wrote:Lol first of all I don't know who you are but you crack me up. I am a fan of the pvc and have seen every team play. I watched your game against fort Frye which you were absolutely dominated in every aspect of the game. You say wr's couldn't get off the ball. I seen several kids wide open and your qb couldn't throw the ball within 10 yards of the kid. You should of beat shenandoah and to use the excuse the field was horrible when both team plaged on it just like they will tonight. Buckeye trail has a ton of talent this year and should of finished no worse than 7-3. But they continue to run a biddy league offense and will get destroyed tonight if they don't have a better game plan than Snodgrass and Pontius up the gut.

osu come on

Twogirls
Waterboy

Post by Twogirls »

lol ok coach

you sure are passionate about a team you have no ties to.

but i know your ties so its all good.

Froggy801
Waterboy

Post by Froggy801 »

Field conditions were pretty bad but River didn't impress me much. Guarantee they get beat by 25+ first game of playoffs. There a one man offense that a good division 6 school will shut down.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Froggy801 wrote:Field conditions were pretty bad but River didn't impress me much. Guarantee they get beat by 25+ first game of playoffs. There a one man offense that a good division 6 school will shut down.

Who is better Fort or River?

Froggy801
Waterboy

Post by Froggy801 »

EasternDspy wrote:
Froggy801 wrote:Field conditions were pretty bad but River didn't impress me much. Guarantee they get beat by 25+ first game of playoffs. There a one man offense that a good division 6 school will shut down.

Who is better Fort or River?
Fort Frye by 20+

osu
Freshman Team

Re: River 22 Buckeye Trail 7

Post by osu »

Lol. No way fort wins by 20+. Fort and river are very similar teams and would likely come down to less than a td. River plays a tougher schedule and will be ready come playoff time. Would love to see fort and river in the regional final but fort needs to focus on winning a playoff game. If they draw bishop ready first round it could be another first round loss.

Return to “Football”