(f) Wellston 43 Meigs 12

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Re: WK9 Wellston (3-5) @ Meigs (3-5)

Post by Orange and Brown »

Dandy Don wrote:Offensively we just can't put up points, something missing.

Last week I thought we would be able to move the ball consistently but didn't. Hopefully this week we will find that missing something that will generate a spark.
Based off of one game, Your oline gets worn down quickly. It's hard to open up holes for your backs when your linemen are gassed in the 2nd quarter. I'm not sure if/how many linemen you guys have hurt but having one or 2 extra linemen to rotate on both sides of the ball is almost nessasary.
Another thing I noticed was that your D ends take themselves out of the play a lot. Again that could be because of injuries and playing younger players.

You have some talented kids but you guys just can't ever seem to put it all together.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Thelongwindedanswer
Riding the Bench

Post by Thelongwindedanswer »

I gotta be realistic again. This game is at Meigs, Wellston has not played on the Road very well at all under Phillips so far with a 3-6 Record to this point. Not to mention we have not beat meigs since 2012. Wellston's Offense just flat out will not generate offense against any team that is smart enough to just load the box and stop the run, as long as your DB's can play a little man coverage you have a very good shot at a shut out, Meigs likes to put up the points from what I have seen this year. If the game is close it will come down to PAT's and Wellston doesn't have a kicker which usually cost's us a few points a game. With that being said I say:

Wellston: 12
Meigs: 35

Dandy Don
All Conference

Post by Dandy Don »

Orange and Brown wrote:
Dandy Don wrote:Offensively we just can't put up points, something missing.

Last week I thought we would be able to move the ball consistently but didn't. Hopefully this week we will find that missing something that will generate a spark.
Based off of one game, Your oline gets worn down quickly. It's hard to open up holes for your backs when your linemen are gassed in the 2nd quarter. I'm not sure if/how many linemen you guys have hurt but having one or 2 extra linemen to rotate on both sides of the ball is almost nessasary.
Another thing I noticed was that your D ends take themselves out of the play a lot. Again that could be because of injuries and playing younger players.

You have some talented kids but you guys just can't ever seem to put it all together.
That is actually an assessment I will not (or cannot) argue, all valid points.

ma77ox
Varsity

Post by ma77ox »

What stood out to me about Wellston also was that in the Athens game, They ran EVERY play from the I-Formation and never had any receivers spread wide.

In the NY game they used 2 wide on almost every down. They hardly ever changed into different formations.

I notice they like to try to run to the outside more then up the gut.

I think Meigs Defense is more geared to go against Wellston's style of Offense and will shut them down.

People Have The Right To Their Opinion, And You Have The Right To Ignore It.
Thelongwindedanswer
Riding the Bench

Post by Thelongwindedanswer »

ma77ox wrote:What stood out to me about Wellston also was that in the Athens game, They ran EVERY play from the I-Formation and never had any receivers spread wide.

In the NY game they used 2 wide on almost every down. They hardly ever changed into different formations.

I think Meigs Defense is more geared to go against Wellston's style of Offense and will shut them down.
I agree with you. The main issue I have with this group of coaches at the moment at Wellston is lack of adjustments they make through out the game. From what I understand and have been told it comes from a lack of FOOTBALL IQ (None of the kids lack IQ in day to day things please do not take that the wrong way) among the kids. But that to me is not a valid reason. It isn't hard to throw in some zone blocking techniques and run some bootlegs, traps, and counter's. Most Programs are running these play's in 5&6th grade and up. for some odd reason all we run are jet sweeps, dives, and pitches it make no sense from my stand point with the players we have in the back field. It is also not hard to switch up the formation. The majority of all Wellston's plays are ran from three formations. A stacked I formation with one receiver, a regular I formation with 2 wide, and a hybrid power formation from the shotgun. My second issue which I didn't think would be one after last year.. Is lack of motivation and conditioning, as stated above by O&B our line is gassed by the 2nd Q, then on top of that we have come out flat every game since Week 3 against Adena. Defensively we have come out strong most game's but we have young guys that take themselves out of plays almost every time, which I hope will get better between now and next season with maturity and experience. On top of that in the past couple weeks for the first time I have seen Defensive players giving up before the play is even over.. I am not sure if this is something internal that I don't know about, but it just seems at this point that players do not want to be on the field, which has led to 3 straight poor performance's. hopefully they can get things figured out and maybe win out for a .500 season but I don't know if at this point that will be a possibility but, none the less I will be there to support the kids.

george
Freshman Team

Post by george »

ma77ox wrote:What stood out to me about Wellston also was that in the Athens game, They ran EVERY play from the I-Formation and never had any receivers spread wide.

Does Meigs play defense Giving up almost 37 points a game Take away Gallia Academy its almost 41

ma77ox
Varsity

Post by ma77ox »

george wrote:

Does Meigs play defense Giving up almost 37 points a game Take away Gallia Academy its almost 41
They will this week.

People Have The Right To Their Opinion, And You Have The Right To Ignore It.
george
Freshman Team

Post by george »

ma77ox wrote:
george wrote:

They will this week.
Sure hope so

NY BUCKS
All State

Post by NY BUCKS »

Another thing when Ny went to double recivers to one side. .wellston didn't have anyone to cover backside. .ny caught it on the deepball wide open

MeyerSpread
JV Team

Post by MeyerSpread »

Calpreps has Meigs 34 Wellston 26

MarauderMadness
JV Team

Post by MarauderMadness »

They dont even practice defense at meigs. We are an offensive juggernaut. Tackling isnt important.

Ironman99
Freshman Team

Post by Ironman99 »

MarauderMadness wrote:They dont even practice defense at meigs. We are an offensive juggernaut. Tackling isnt important.

Not to be mean or to cause an argument but it really shows.I don't think meigs has had a good defense under these coaches .

Older bird
Freshman Team

Post by Older bird »

Well...22
Me ig 20

Abe Froman
S

Post by Abe Froman »

Not seen either one of these two play, but both seem to be all over the board with how they play. One week good, next week bad, one half of a game good one half of a game bad.

Hard one to predict, I guess I will take the Marauders at home.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Field will be a sloppy mess! Hope both teams stay injury free

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Bird Dog
All Conference

Post by Bird Dog »

Meigs defense is HORRIBLE. Have they just laid down and quit or what?

JV Team

Post by 1906 »

I thought this coach was supposed to be the almighty?

Dandy Don
All Conference

Post by Dandy Don »

Marauders can't tackle. At all.

Bird Dog
All Conference

Post by Bird Dog »

1906 wrote:I thought this coach was supposed to be the almighty?

I never said he was almighty as a coach but as a person he's as good a guy as you'll ever meet.

JV Team

Post by 1906 »

Bird Dog wrote:
1906 wrote:I thought this coach was supposed to be the almighty?

I never said he was almighty as a coach but as a person he's as good a guy as you'll ever meet.
I know you didn't say that but its been throwed around a time or two

Return to “Football”