Waverly 35 Minford 0

Westfan
SEOP

Re: WK9 Waverly (7-1) @ Minford (5-3)

Post by Westfan »

Waverly is bad defensively against the run. Waverly 's run is based in spreading you out with the passing game and running the inside and outside zones. But the quarterback is not a great runner and the passing game may not be there if it rains like they're calling for on that cow pasture of a field. If the rain comes toss up game.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

if waverly corrects some things in stopping the run. I don't see Minford winning this. I think waverly continues to roll on and win this one.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Westfan wrote:Waverly is bad defensively against the run. Waverly 's run is based in spreading you out with the passing game and running the inside and outside zones. But the quarterback is not a great runner and the passing game may not be there if it rains like they're calling for on that cow pasture of a field. If the rain comes toss up game.
For one, I am proud of Minford's field. Being grass, it will get rough when they play after a hard rain like all grass fields do.

I would rather watch a game at Minford, where you feel like you're close to the field (because you are), than a game at West where you feel like you need binos to watch a dang high school football game.

Turf is great......but.....Call me old school but I like some games on grass too because that is what we always played on as well before turf was everywhere.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

FalconFever02 wrote:
Bleeding Red wrote:If Minford doesnt go back to taking a few shots down the field (and completing them) it will be a long night.

The 5-10 yard passes will be open if the QB will take the shotgun snap and get rid of the ball instead of running around. Too many missed wide open receivers in the Burg game, but he has the ability to make these throws.

I have a feeling Compton is going to have a big game Friday night for the Falcons.

Kitty Kats 14
Minford 17
I agree quarterback play is what is making this an average Minford team as opposed to a good Minford team.
I don't want to put the blame on one guy. I heard someone say this week that this is the QB's first year playing football? Is that true?

He throws a good ball when he steps into it. He just seems like he wants to run outside of the pocket after a second or two of taking the snap. Its hard to believe someone isnt telling him to sit in the pocket, throw to where the receiver is supposed to be (he waits for them to be wide open sometimes) and then step UP in the pocket instead of trying to run around the edge.

If it really is his first year playing, I totally get it.

FalconFever02
Freshman Team

Post by FalconFever02 »

Bleeding Red wrote:
FalconFever02 wrote:
Bleeding Red wrote:If Minford doesnt go back to taking a few shots down the field (and completing them) it will be a long night.

The 5-10 yard passes will be open if the QB will take the shotgun snap and get rid of the ball instead of running around. Too many missed wide open receivers in the Burg game, but he has the ability to make these throws.

I have a feeling Compton is going to have a big game Friday night for the Falcons.

Kitty Kats 14
Minford 17
I agree quarterback play is what is making this an average Minford team as opposed to a good Minford team.
I don't want to put the blame on one guy. I heard someone say this week that this is the QB's first year playing football? Is that true?

He throws a good ball when he steps into it. He just seems like he wants to run outside of the pocket after a second or two of taking the snap. Its hard to believe someone isnt telling him to sit in the pocket, throw to where the receiver is supposed to be (he waits for them to be wide open sometimes) and then step UP in the pocket instead of trying to run around the edge.

If it really is his first year playing, I totally get it.
Yeah didn't mean to sound like I was putting it all on his shoulders. Idk, I have been watching Minford quarterbacks throw on the run when they have time to set the feet for years, apparently it's something in the water lol.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

There's no real eye opening QB in our area. All have some good and bad. Waverly needs the Harris kid to play. He's ridiculously quick. If he can't go, Waverly can get upset, because minford can run the ball in spurts. I say Waverly by three scores but if Harris is out, Minford pulls out a big playoff point win.

football87
Freshman Team

Post by football87 »

waverly handled west even if the score says otherwise. they played as bad as they could and still won by 2 scores.

toast
All State

Post by toast »

The Oaf wrote:
toast wrote:Waverly comes in as the underdog in this one. Too many factors working against the Tigers to think otherwise. The location of the game….a grass field….forecasted weather…..our health…. to name a few.

I think it's fair to say Waverly is going to have to execute a whole lot better than they did last Friday night to have a chance in this one. We had our hands full with West and Minford beat West. This is going to be a real gut check for the Tigers. It will take a monumental effort for Waverly to get out of mule town with a win.
Do you actually believe this Coach Holtz?
I'll say this. Unless Waverly shows up with a chip on their shoulder and ready to play, we'll leave town with a loss. I honestly think we showed up a little overconfident against West. I knew West was solid. Nice strong line and #22 is a darn good back. West could of easily been 6-1 coming into that game. Three single digit losses.

Several factors working against us in this one including our health. Huge game with everything on the line and we are going to have to play accordingly to have a shot.

Blitz
Varsity

Post by Blitz »

Minford with the upset!
Minford is very good at stopping the inside run....both td's against Burg were A gap runs
Minford will pound the ball all night... double A gap blitz don't work against downhill runs ... Huge game for Compton
I say Minford attempts no more than 5 passes

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

I just don't see Minford having the offense to move the ball against Waverly. Looks like calling for the rain Thursday, Friday only 40%. Each of the tougher teams Minford has faced they're scoring just isn't there at least not on paper. Waverly's defense to fast. Not having Harris will hurt but they have enough playmakers to get this done by 2-3 scores.

Agree on the West field post, hate watching a game at that place. Build a new stadium and put everyone out in the parking lot to watch a game. Especially visitors side.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

greygoose wrote:I just don't see Minford having the offense to move the ball against Waverly. Looks like calling for the rain Thursday, Friday only 40%. Each of the tougher teams Minford has faced they're scoring just isn't there at least not on paper. Waverly's defense to fast. Not having Harris will hurt but they have enough playmakers to get this done by 2-3 scores.

Agree on the West field post, hate watching a game at that place. Build a new stadium and put everyone out in the parking lot to watch a game. Especially visitors side.
Waverly is fast on defense. But really good defenses don't have to blitz every down to stop someone. You don't want to go horizontal against them but you can hit seems going straight ahead. Compton is a good runner. He'll break a couple.

I don't like West's new stadium. The track ruins it. But the playing surface is always in excellent shape. Minford's stadium is a good atmosphere, but the field itself is usually torn up.

vladimir
S

Post by vladimir »

Prediction:
Minford 24
Waverly 19

The best things in life: To Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!- Conan the Barbarian
greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

[/quote]
Waverly is fast on defense. But really good defenses don't have to blitz every down to stop someone. You don't want to go horizontal against them but you can hit seems going straight ahead. Compton is a good runner. He'll break a couple.

I don't like West's new stadium. The track ruins it. But the playing surface is always in excellent shape. Minford's stadium is a good atmosphere, but the field itself is usually torn up.[/quote]

I believe that's more strategy then need, it's one of those deals where if it works why change it. Make the other team adjust and to it and prove they can handle the blitz before you go backing out of it. Good defenses use what works best, seen teams win State Championships blitzing every down because they could and seen it the other way in timing blitzes. I don't believe one is better then the other but to be say a good defense doesn't have to blitz every down to stop someone is a stretch. You do what you do best and they're fast and blitz well.

vladimir
S

Post by vladimir »

Minford needs to utilize the trap, counter and screen game to slow down a blitzing defense. The triple option zone read, along with the counter game ala Wavely vs. Westfall in the regional championship game in 2007 is the Tigers' Achilles heel.

The best things in life: To Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!- Conan the Barbarian
smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

vladimir wrote:Minford needs to utilize the trap, counter and screen game to slow down a blitzing defense. The triple option zone read, along with the counter game ala Wavely vs. Westfall in the regional championship game in 2007 is the Tigers' Achilles heel.
Waverly was decimated with injuries for that regional playoff game. If I remember correctly (may be wrong) Waverly employed a 4-4 defense because of some stud linebackers they had and nearly all if not all of them were hurt prior to the game or during.

Abe Froman
S

Post by Abe Froman »

Could be a trap game. Stranger things have happened.

The Flush
Varsity

Post by The Flush »

What does the 2007 Waverly defense have to do with the 2010 Waverly defense? Completely different players and different head coach.

Harris being hurt was a huge factor in the closer than expected but never in doubt game vs West. Waverly put the ball on the ground 3 times, I believe 2 were on read option handoffs to the replacement RB due to the lack of cohesion between the QB and RB (ie RB wasn't sure if he was getting the ball or not). Those plays really slowed the offense down. Offensively I think Waverly should have thrown deep more often. The play used on the first TD was open frequently. It was obvious before the snap what should be happening and on that play Waverly executed perfectly. I don't know how often Waverly audibles, but when Marquez is in single coverage they should go long every time. They have proven they can throw that route to either side. On the second TD it looked like a similar formation, but the pass was shorter and the WR made a good move to score. Harris being out on defense hurt a lot (if not more) as well. I wish Waverly had the depth to not make key players play both ways. Against Burg both Harris and Marquez had cramps in the second half due to playing both ways so much. I have not heard if Harris will be healthy for the Minford game. If he can't go, the week of practice for his backups plus the game experience from last week should help them perform better.

Minford can certainly win this game. Waverly will have to bring their A game.

Jason Vorhees
S

Post by Jason Vorhees »

Waverly 35 Minford 14. Minford will keep this game close in the trenches but Waverly's athletes will get a lot of distribution.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

The Flush wrote:What does the 2007 Waverly defense have to do with the 2010 Waverly defense? Completely different players and different head coach.
Vladimir brought it up and I was explaining why Westfall was able to run it down the Tigers throat that night. The Tiger defense was decimated with injuries. The 2016 Tiger defense does not have as many linebacker studs as the 2007 squad so losing Harris was a big blow.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

The Flush wrote:Harris being hurt was a huge factor in the closer than expected but never in doubt game vs West. Waverly put the ball on the ground 3 times, I believe 2 were on read option handoffs to the replacement RB due to the lack of cohesion between the QB and RB (ie RB wasn't sure if he was getting the ball or not). Those plays really slowed the offense down. Offensively I think Waverly should have thrown deep more often. The play used on the first TD was open frequently. It was obvious before the snap what should be happening and on that play Waverly executed perfectly. I don't know how often Waverly audibles, but when Marquez is in single coverage they should go long every time. They have proven they can throw that route to either side. On the second TD it looked like a similar formation, but the pass was shorter and the WR made a good move to score. Harris being out on defense hurt a lot (if not more) as well. I wish Waverly had the depth to not make key players play both ways. Against Burg both Harris and Marquez had cramps in the second half due to playing both ways so much. I have not heard if Harris will be healthy for the Minford game. If he can't go, the week of practice for his backups plus the game experience from last week should help them perform better.

Agreed

Return to “Football”