D1 athletes in south eastern ohio

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Re: D1 athletes in south eastern ohio

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

they are here. just not nearly enough media coverage. proud of any young'un continuing his/her education and playing career at any level.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

and the competition here is considered weak, by the talking heads of the media.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Cpt. Obvious wrote:Too many athletes from this area when given a scholarship also fail to keep up with their collegiate commitments. They quit after a year or two. Not saying anyone in particular. Not trying to ruffle anyone's feathers. Just what I was told by some recruiters and coaches about the reputation of kids from this area. I've seen it happen myself. Makes it harder to offer an athlete from this area valuable scholarship money that could be used on an athlete more committed to playing football and getting an education for four years.
Going back to the 60s I have heard about this happening so many time that it just might happen more than the kid continuing as far as they could.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
Cpt. Obvious
JV Team

Post by Cpt. Obvious »

smurray wrote:Cpt. Obvious,
Recent examples of those going, making it, and sticking with it:
Trevor Walls (Waverly) to New Mexico State
Derek Roback (Waverly) to Notre Dame transfer to Ohio University
Trevon Pendleton (Ports. West) to Michigan State
Absolutely, and I hope more will be added to the list.

MeyerSpread
JV Team

Post by MeyerSpread »

Cody Bartrum- Meigs High School (injured or not)

wchreidman
Freshman Team

Post by wchreidman »

Washington CH

Mark Bihl (Michgan) Starting Center on there Rose bowl Championship team. Drafted by the Chargers did not make final round cuts Teaches now and is our Strength Coach.
Sean Dumford(Eastern Kentucky) Drafted didn't make it
Skylar Schoffner( Michigan State) started on there line for 2 years then was injured
Trevor Hicks ( undecided)

Jackie Moon
Riding the Bench

Post by Jackie Moon »

Little Jackie keeps telling me about this kid in Sciotoville that might be a D1 athlete.

Smeltzy
Varsity

Post by Smeltzy »

Colin Woodside from Fairfield Union has an offer from Ohio Univ.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

smurray wrote:Cpt. Obvious,
Recent examples of those going, making it, and sticking with it:
Trevor Walls (Waverly) to New Mexico State
Derek Roback (Waverly) to Notre Dame transfer to Ohio University
Trevon Pendleton (Ports. West) to Michigan State
Prior - FSU/OHIO (Portsmouth)
Codogen (sp?) - PSU
Wooten - OHIO (Jackson)
Rider - NAVY - (Athens)
Thompson - Cincinnati (Portsmouth)
McCray - OHIO (Minford)
Pleasants - OHIO (Coal Grove)

I can name 25 others in the past 20 years, it has nothing to do about competition or how many stories the media writes. What does matter is their size and speed. And yes we do have fewer players in DI, but we also have a rural area with sparse population, our District (area) contains about 65 football playing schools from Brown County, up to Perry County over to Washington County.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

noreply66 wrote:Sounded like the topic is about kids in school now and not the past. Just do not hear about too many this year. Right off I only see one power house school in SEO and that looks to be Wheelersburg. Are scouts coming to Burg? Probably are. Right now, where are the boys to be found? So far we have six on the list. Most of the time you have a good year the year before and a lot of those boys coming back to have big time coaches to come into SEO. Too many times a boy can be looked at as a sophomore or JR. and come their senior year the team can be down and his performance will not be as good through the first half of the season and big time scouts seem to go elsewhere.
No, they are not going to Burg, why? Because Burg has a ton of nice High School players, however they have no one who is knocking the doors off of College Scouts, More DI scouts are calling on Sciotoville East than Burg at the moment.

colsoh
Waterboy

Post by colsoh »

The FCS 1A in week one and two are beating the FBS schools or playing them tough. In fact the Ohio U team plays Gardner Webb and recently played two FCS schools that only recently changed. Texas State and Appalachian State. FCS gives close to 60 scholarships FBS 85. Southeast Ohio has really good players but getting noticed is something parents do not understand. Patriot league Fordham has a really good back from Ironton. The back last year from Athens is in the state record books for single season rushing TD's. He is traveling with Georgetown of the Patriot league . Both these fellows were offered at Div 1 FBS and decided to go in this direction. 12 players from Yale were offered from big schools.

SE Ohio stats are similiar to national statistics.. 6 out of over 1000 football players get FBS or FCS football scholarships each year.

Some guys play, some talk that they almost did. Go SE Ohio

colsoh
Waterboy

Post by colsoh »

Patriot league teams offer 60 scholarships now. MAC etc 85

Cpt. Obvious
JV Team

Post by Cpt. Obvious »

Pol pot wrote:
noreply66 wrote:Sounded like the topic is about kids in school now and not the past. Just do not hear about too many this year. Right off I only see one power house school in SEO and that looks to be Wheelersburg. Are scouts coming to Burg? Probably are. Right now, where are the boys to be found? So far we have six on the list. Most of the time you have a good year the year before and a lot of those boys coming back to have big time coaches to come into SEO. Too many times a boy can be looked at as a sophomore or JR. and come their senior year the team can be down and his performance will not be as good through the first half of the season and big time scouts seem to go elsewhere.
No, they are not going to Burg, why? Because Burg has a ton of nice High School players, however they have no one who is knocking the doors off of College Scouts, More DI scouts are calling on Sciotoville East than Burg at the moment.
True, Tyler Gerald got noticed and that opened the door for Blaine Scott etc... But those guys have something you can't teach and that is SIZE! Those guys are really good lineman but if they were smaller they would get overlooked no matter how good they were. We've all seen some excellent linemen play high school ball but most of them are undersized for the next level. Hopefully with the attention these guys are getting it will open the doors for athletes all over this area who would of been previously overlooked. I hope I didn't misspell anyone's name lol. Definitely looking forward to following these guys college careers. There are more kids than we realize that receive D1 offers... But it's hard for folks from this area to afford the expense that goes along with that. Full-rides are not all expense paid. So most of these offers are declined for various reasons but mostly for financial.

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

just some info, both Cagogan brothers played at Penn State, Gerald played tackle for Paterno, and Nate actually caught a td pass vs Northwestern that pulled the Nittany Lions to within a touchdown before PSU came back and JoePa won game number 400.

Blackjack
JV Team

Post by Blackjack »

Cpt. Obvious wrote:Full-rides are not all expense paid. So most of these offers are declined for various reasons but mostly for financial.
Full rides are all expenses paid to the Power 5 schools. They have a thing called "Full Cost of Attendance" that covers all expenses plus some extra spending money.
Last edited by Blackjack on Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Cpt. Obvious wrote:
Pol pot wrote:
True, Tyler Gerald got noticed and that opened the door for Blaine Scott etc... But those guys have something you can't teach and that is SIZE! Those guys are really good lineman but if they were smaller they would get overlooked no matter how good they were. We've all seen some excellent linemen play high school ball but most of them are undersized for the next level. Hopefully with the attention these guys are getting it will open the doors for athletes all over this area who would of been previously overlooked. I hope I didn't misspell anyone's name lol. Definitely looking forward to following these guys college careers. There are more kids than we realize that receive D1 offers... But it's hard for folks from this area to afford the expense that goes along with that. Full-rides are not all expense paid. So most of these offers are declined for various reasons but mostly for financial.

If you'd read my other post, I've stated that size and speed are what you have better have, the being a really good HS player at a really good program does not earn any DI offers. Being 6'5" and 280lb and able to run a 5.0 40 is what will get you offers.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Blackjack wrote:
Cpt. Obvious wrote:Full-rides are not all expense paid. So most of these offers are declined for various reasons but mostly for financial.
Full rides are all expenses paid to the Power 5 schools. They have a thing call "Full Cost of Attendance" that covers all expenses plus some extra spending money.

Wow, BlackJack, what is he trying to say here???? I about swallowed my tobacco!!!

For clarification, FBS football (P5 or G5, does not matter) is a "head count" sport, meaning that every player recieves a full grant in aid and up to the institution any cost of attendance figures that the University figures. FCS football is an "equivalency" sport which means their scholarships can be divided a certain way up to the value of 63 full scholarships.

The comment that people turn these scholarships down because they can not afford them is absolutely ridiculous!!!

Oak
Freshman Team

Post by Oak »

Pol pot wrote: If you'd read my other post, I've stated that size and speed are what you have better have, the being a really good HS player at a really good program does not earn any DI offers. Being 6'5" and 280lb and able to run a 5.0 40 is what will get you offers.
Exactly. These college coaches are looking at kids pedigree, not high school production. They put emphasis on summer camps. OSU is supposedly close to offering a junior that showed up at camp and did well. He hadn't played football since the 7th grade till this year.

I've seen several of the kids listed that went major D1 get destroyed by kids that couldn't get interest from Morehead. But the D1 had the size and speed.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Saturday Jaylen Prater Senior LB and Trae Williams Freshman CB will be starting for Northwestern

GoIrish
JV Team

Post by GoIrish »

It's recruit football camp season! Care to revive this conversation? Which local athletes are attending camps?

Which 2017 grads are putting pads on for colleges this summer/fall?

Return to “Football”