2017 Pittsburgh Pirates

Mister Bee
Varsity

2017 Pittsburgh Pirates

Post by Mister Bee »

Regular season starts with a home 3 game sweep of the Redbirds which included an extra inning walkoff in game 2.

RAISE THE JOLLY ROGER X 3!

First road trip of the season is to the Queen City and a 3 game set vs the upstart Redlegs.

Liriano takes the hill vs Simon in game 1 Friday night.

LETS GO BUCS!!!

Black Panther
SEO

Re: 2016 Pittsburgh Pirates

Post by Black Panther »

I was going to post a thread but didn't want to be talking to myself..lol Glad you're back!

"I have a deep affection for the University of Pittsburgh.It is my University.I am proud to be a Pitt man.”-Jock Sutherland
Mister Bee
Varsity

Post by Mister Bee »

Black Panther wrote:I was going to post a thread but didn't want to be talking to myself..lol Glad you're back!
Glad to be back. You wouldn't talking to yourself mate, with 23 views already on this thread just proves my theory that deep down inside, everybody wants to be a Pirate. We have a national "talk like a Pirate day" but no national "talk like a Redleg day." :lol:

Bucs 6 Redlegs 5

RAISE THE JOLLY ROGER!!!

Its a Marte party with a grand slam winner.

Cole takes the hill for the Bucs in game 2.

LETS GO BUCS!!!

Black Panther
SEO

Post by Black Panther »

Without you on here talking about the Pirates and Pens would fall on deaf ears...

"I have a deep affection for the University of Pittsburgh.It is my University.I am proud to be a Pitt man.”-Jock Sutherland
Mister Bee
Varsity

Post by Mister Bee »

Piratas de Pittsburgh 4 Rojos de Cincinnati 1

Ahoy Mate! We just blew in from an extended stay in the Dominican Republic and in honor of our Spanish speaking Piratas fans down there, I posted the opening line in Spanish. Lots of Pittsburgh natives enjoying the easy life (and the rum) in the Republica Dominicana and following the Piratas and Pinguinos while they are there.

Piratas are on a 5 game winning streak and looking for more as they chase the division leading Cubs.

We brought back plenty of booty for Mrs Bee (the fine pirate lass that she is) for her sunroom room and rum for me (she is fond of the rum creme) to last us through the regular beisbol season and into Buctober.

Game 2 between the Piratas y Rojos has Liriano taking the hill vs Simon.

LETS GO BUCS!!!

Mister Bee
Varsity

Post by Mister Bee »

Piratas take 2 of 3 from the Rojos.

Cubs in town for a huge, early season series.

A Bucs and Pucks night as the Bucs and the Pens both play tonight on national tv.

LETS GO BUCS AND PENS!!!

Mister Bee
Varsity

Post by Mister Bee »

Cubs 7 Bucs 2

Cubs starter Hammel was very good. Cubs own the best record in baseball and their pitching is a huge part of their success.

Game 2 doesn't get any easier for the Bucs as they face Jake Arrieta, 5-0 1.00. he is also 6-1 1.68 vs the Pirates in 9 previous starts. Bucs will counter with Jon Niese 3-0 5.08.

Bucs need to scratch out a win tonight vs the Cubbies.

LETS GO BUCS!!!

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

I'll start off by saying that I'm a Cubs fan.

But, I hated the Buccos offseason moves. I didn't think that they did near enough to capitalize on their young core, but I may be wrong. I know the money isn't there, but thought they could've done better in the Walker deal, imo.

Good sweep for my Cubbies, but it wouldn't shock me if the Bucs returned the favor next weekend.

Mister Bee
Varsity

Post by Mister Bee »

Cubs are playing .800 ball. At some point in time they will come back to the field but they may just build up such a large lead that everyone else in the Central is playing for a wildcard spot.

Bucs picking up David Friese helps the bench and the infield. If Kang comes back healthy and Mercer continues to hit, we may be in good shape without Walker. I do agree that we could have done better and I wish we could have retained Walker. Right now, the offense is producing for the Bucs. Pitching, however, is struggling. I wish we had kept J.A. Happ.

Its a long season but right now, the Cubs look like the '27 Yankees.

Bucs need to start winning some series to start the long, slow climb to catch the Cubs.

LETS GO BUCS!!!

Mister Bee
Varsity

Post by Mister Bee »

Bucs end the road trip at 4-4 but were 1-2 vs the Cubs. Cubs are unreal right now and until they cool off, we are playing for second place and another Wild Card spot.

Bucs 8 Braves 5

Bucs start a 10 game homestand and need to win all 3 series and go no worse than 7-3. Braves are terrible and the Rockies and D-Backs aren't much better.

Neise (4-2) goes 6 innings for a quality start but the 11 dingers he has yielded to date are a concern for me. All around, our pitching needs to improve. Hitting continues to be a strong point for us.

Matt Joyce goes yard and has a stellar night going 3-4 at the plate for the Bucs as he subs for Marte.

Cutch needs to get going.

Nicasio (3-3) takes the hill vs Blair (0-2) in game 2.

LETS GO BUCS!!!

Mister Bee
Varsity

Post by Mister Bee »

Bucs 12 Braves 9

RAISE THE JOLLY ROGER!!!

Bucs have picked up 2 games on the Cubs in the last 3 days.

Golden lining for the Bucs, they are pounding Atlanta pitching. 14 hits on Monday night and 21 last night. Only the Red Sox have a higher team batting average than the Bucs, .297 vs .282 and the Bucs have the 4th best on base percentage in MLB.

Storm clouds brewing for the Bucs, pitching, as they have given up 13 runs against the worst team in baseball. Bucco bats have given Pirate pitching huge leads in this series from the first inning on only to see these evaporate. Outside of our ace Cole, our starters are suspect. In the pen, right now only setup man Watson and closer Melancon are money. Everyone else is struggling. Pitching coach Ray Searage has his work gut out for him. Personally, I think Pirate management has thrown too many projects at him and we are rolling the dice too much to try and save $$$. We are missing guys like J.A. Happ and others whom Searage revived their careers only to see them leave for more $$$. Bucco pitching is currently only ranked 22nd out of 30 MLB teams.

Bucco bats need to continue their barrage in the series and feast on suspect Braves' pitching who really isn't that much worse than ours as they are ranked 25th in terms of ERA.

Game 3 has the Bucs sending out Liriano ( 3-2, 4.99) to face Teheran (0-4, 3.17) who is 2-1 lifetime vs the Bucs and has only given up 3 earned runs in his last 4 starts which includes a start vs the Cubs in which he allowed 0 runs on 2 hits in 7 innings. He appears to have gotten his early season woes behind him.

LETS GO BUCS!!!

Mister Bee
Varsity

Post by Mister Bee »

Braves 3 Bucs 1

Braves pitcher Teheran cools off the Bucco bats as expected and goes 7 2/3 gives up no runs on 5 hits. Bucs eek out a run in the 9th as Kang goes yard on a solo shot to avoid the shutout.

Liriano didn't pitch a bad game, 7 IP, 2 R and 7 H, just to much Teheran.

Bucs need a win in game 4 as they send out Locke (1-3, 5.45) to face Foltynewicz (1-1, 2.89). Expect more good pitching from the Braves starter. Locke needs to start becoming a more reliable starter and the offense needs to rebound.

We lost 1 of the 2 games we just picked up last night and we don't need to drop another one.

LETS GO BUCS!!!

Mister Bee
Varsity

Post by Mister Bee »

Bucs 8 Braves 2

RAISE THE JOLLY ROGER!!!

We pick up a game on the front running Cubs.

Bucs take the series 3-1. Polanco is on a hot streak hitting .461 in the last 7 games. He added a triple and a homer while going 2-5 last night.

Buc starter Locke was finally in lock down mode giving us a quality start, 7 IP 2R 6H 2BB 6K on 97 pitches. We need more of this from him.

Homestand continues tonight as the Rockies invade for 3. Bucs swept them at Coors Field a few weeks ago. We need another series win vs Colorado.

Game 1 has the Bucs sending out their ace Cole (4-3, 3.05) vs Butler (2-1, 4.74).

At the 40 game mark of this season, the Bucs are 22-18. Last year we were 18-22 on our way to a 98 win season. In my opinion, it will take at least 102 games to win the NL Central this year.

LETS GO BUCS!!!

Mister Bee
Varsity

Post by Mister Bee »

Bucs 9 Rangers 1

RAISE THE JOLLY ROGER!!!

Bucs hit the road after going 8-2 in their last home stand and winning all 3 series.

Bucs pound Ranger ace Hammels (5-1) and the rest of their pitching staff for 14 hits, 4 homers included, to end Hammels streak of 12 straight starts for a win.

Pirate starter Niese (5-2) continues to improve as he gives the Bucs another quality start and the pitching staff is working it's way out of their early season woes.

Pittsburgh has slowly crept to within 4.5 games of the front running Cubs. Its not a sprint, its a season long marathon.

Game 2 has the Bucs sending out Niacasio (4-3, 4.46) to face Darvish in his return from Tommy John surgery. He has posted a sterling 0.90 era in his minor league rehab starts.

LETS GO BUCS!!!

Mister Bee
Varsity

Post by Mister Bee »

Bucs 10 Marlins 0

RAISE THE JOLLY ROGER!!!

Bucs starter Jeff Locke gives an outstanding pitching performance 9IP 0R 3H 0BB 1K and pitches to a total of 28 batters, 1 over the minimum for 9 innings, as the first 2 baserunners were erased by a DP each. Lets hope that Locke is starting to get his mechanics dialed in and we can expect more of this type of performance from him in the future.

Every Buc starter, save for the pitcher Locke, gets at least 1 hit as the Bucs pound out 10 runs on 14 hits and Polanco, El Coffee, gets his first career grand slam in the same park where he got his first career home run.

Game 2 of 4 has the Bucs sending out their ace Cole (5-3, 2.53) and 3-0 1.04 in his last 4 starts to face Marlins ace Fernandez (7-2, 2.82). Fernandez is 21-1 with a 1.64 era in his 31 career starts at Marlins Park. Hits and base runners will be hard to come by in this game. It may get played in under 2 hours.

LETS GO BUCS!!!

Mister Bee
Varsity

Post by Mister Bee »

Marlins 3 Bucs 2

Bucco bats have gone silent the last 2 games. Pitching has been there but no offense. The Fish have some good pitchers, especially Fernandez.

Bucs need a win in game 4 to split the 4 game series. Nicasio (4-4, 4.79) takes the hill for the Bucs to face Chen (3-2, 4.73).

LETS GO BUCS!!!

Mister Bee
Varsity

Post by Mister Bee »

Bucs 8 Angels 7

RAISE THE JOLLY ROGER!!!

It has been rough sailing of late for the Buccos playing thru a lot of injuries.

Locke continues to make strides and gives us another quality outing and gets the win.

The bullpen was shaky with Watson having some troubles but Melancon gets the 1-2-3 save in the 9th.

Bucco bats come alive as Kang belts his 8th homer, Polanco his 9th and Joyce his 6th. (he has 4 pinch hit dingers this year).

Cole takes the mound in the series finale and must win game for the Bucs.

LETS GO BUCS!!!

Mister Bee
Varsity

Post by Mister Bee »

Bucs 3 Mets 1 Game 1

Bucs 3 Mets 1 Game 2

RAISE THE JOLLY ROGER X2!!!

Bucs and Mets play a DH in a makeup game from Monday nights rainout included with Tuesday's game.

Game 1 Bucco starter Jon Niese has no trouble against his old team and goes 7IP 0R 4H 2BB 2 K and the Pirate offense chases Met starter Matz after 5 innings as they rank up 10 hits. Melancon closes out the 9th 1-2-3 to get the save and the Bucco victory.

Game 2 Bucco starter Juan Nicasio goes 5 effective innings 1R 3H 2BB 7K to get the win as the bullpen does the rest and Melancon has another 1-2-3 9th with 3Ks to close it out and get his 19 save in 20 chances. Bucco bats pound out 10 hits and get 3 runs as they go 3-9 with RISP to beat Met starter deGrom

Game 3 has the Bucs calling up Jameson Taillon to make his MLB debut vs Syndergaard (6-2, 1.91) in the series finale.

LETS GO BUCS!!!

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Excited to watch Taillon! Amazing K-BB #s in AAA, tough pitching opposition tonight, but a good lineup for a rookie to debut against.

Black Panther
SEO

Post by Black Panther »

The ship is taking serious water! We better get things figured out quick or even a WC chance will be a struggle this year. :cry:

Return to “Pro Sports”