Minford Basketball

FannyPack
Freshman Team

Re: Minford Basketball

Post by FannyPack »

I'll eat my shoe if this team makes it out of the Convo and onto the Schott. I Hope I can get to eat it.

2015-2016 Basketball Pick 'Em Champion while picking correctly 81% of the time.
Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

FannyPack wrote:I'll eat my shoe if this team makes it out of the Convo and onto the Schott. I Hope I can get to eat it.

Gotta make it to the convo first. This team has talent but as others have said, defense struggles. Too streaky to make a run to the Schott.

I saw that Oak Hill nailed tons of 3 balls. I remember a kid from Burg and another from Oak Hill single handily beating the Falcons from nailing 3s a few years ago. Gotta make adjustments on defense and get in their grill. Seems to be an issue.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

Completely shocked by last nights score. Oak how is going to be a very good team, but outside of their one big who's name is completely slipping my mind right now, they lack physical strength and struggle on the glass.

That said, they gave Valley all they could handle early in the season in Lucasville because they hit 11 3's I believe it was. So yes, they are more than capable of knocking down shots and winning big games.

End of the day, something is "off" in Muletown and the Falcons better figure it out Tuesday against Huntington. If they don't, they could drop 2 in a row over the weekend and not make it out of the sectional next week.

FalconSports
Waterboy

Post by FalconSports »

Wednesday game with South Webster started off well by playing team ball and taking it the rim. Out ahead quickly and getting 2 fouls each on three of their players quickly. Few minutes forward into the game - stop team ball and taking to the rim - we need to have two shoot 3's the rest of the game. South Webster ties Minford and almost beats them because no team ball and not rotating.

Minford has a bench, some of which should be starting, but for some reason the coach has to get two players all the time and points, even when one only scores 2 the entire game. But that will not deter them from shooting and shooting and turning over the ball time after time. Most people would realize this is not my game, which is fine. That happens.

Did we learn from our mistake, "No". This two team style continued against the Oaks, another team that they should have won by 30. There was no rotation, no looking for the open man. There were times when an open man was looking for the ball but that was not to be. We have to keep the ball and drive into 3-4 players and loose the ball.

Minford will not go far into the playoffs, if they even make it, with this game.

bluedude62
Varsity

Post by bluedude62 »

The "D" for Minford looked good right at the startas they went up 10-0 in the first qtr. Then Oak Hill started running a weave in and out of the key and sprung #11 & #32 open and they started drilling the 3's to put themselves back in the game. Minford tried to answer as Dalton got some points but after that they had no inside game. Oak Hill blocked a bunch of shots inside and as stated in the above comments, Minford went to the two man game.. It didn't work. Oak Hill did pretty much what they wanted to do in the 4th and it paid off for the soph's at OH...

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

Having watched Minford 6 times now, there is no one on the bench that "should be starting". Period. Shepard is their 3rd best player, but he is far from basketball shape.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Crab's Brother wrote:Having watched Minford 6 times now, there is no one on the bench that "should be starting". Period. Shepard is their 3rd best player, but he is far from basketball shape.
Agree completely. Minford is starting who they need to start.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

bbjunky81 wrote:
Crab's Brother wrote:Having watched Minford 6 times now, there is no one on the bench that "should be starting". Period. Shepard is their 3rd best player, but he is far from basketball shape.
Agree completely. Minford is starting who they need to start.
Exactly...

If Shepard were in complete game shape, it would be different. But as it stands, Minford's five best players are starting.

BURGerandfries
Waterboy

Post by BURGerandfries »

What in the world is going on? I've never seen a group of kids look so unhappy in my life. They all look like they hate playing the game. When my Pirates put it on them, I was kind of shocked to see their attitudes throughout the game. Like they didn't want to be there at all!! That Dalton kid probably needs to play more. He plays with a little more passion than what those older kids do. I'm just completely shocked how a group this talented loses to us and especially Oak Hill.

Shoota3playnoD
Waterboy

Post by Shoota3playnoD »

Minford reminds me of a AAU team. Plays no D at all it's all about The O and shooting 3s . And this is the style of play ur coach wants. And from what I have seen their physically weak ..

Capt
Waterboy

Post by Capt »

Personally I think everyone is being to hard on Minford. I think they have a very good team. As for getting beat by Wheelersburg, they are a very good team with good shooting and outstanding rebounding. They are pretty equal with Minford. As for getting beat by Oak Hill. Oak Hill is a team that has under achieved this year. They seem to only play good for 2 or 3 quarters. Last night they were terrible in the first quarter, and outstanding the other three quarters. When they play ball like that they can beat anyone. The big difference I seen last night was Minford even though they played several kids got really tired and Oak Hill was in great shape and that made the difference in the last quarter. I've watched Valley twice, Minford twice and Wheelersburg twice and I believe Wheelersburg is playing the best of any team in the league right now.

FalconSports
Waterboy

Post by FalconSports »

When Minford played the Burg the 2nd half fouls were clearly in Burg's favor - 5 to 1. That's terrible refereeing. But even with that Minford should have won if they played TEAM ball. Yes, Burg is fast but I believe Minford has the better team. It will not show by the 2 man game they play and no rotation. They have a bench but not used. As has been shown time after time you win by playing your team.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

FalconSports wrote:When Minford played the Burg the 2nd half fouls were clearly in Burg's favor - 5 to 1. That's terrible refereeing. But even with that Minford should have won if they played TEAM ball. Yes, Burg is fast but I believe Minford has the better team. It will not show by the 2 man game they play and no rotation. They have a bench but not used. As has been shown time after time you win by playing your team.
If you knew about basketball, you would know that burg went inside earning their foul shots while minford stood outside shooting basketball. Blaming the officials is a weak argument for minfords weakness, which is the ability to jump. Outside of Rowe.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

wobycat wrote:
FalconSports wrote:When Minford played the Burg the 2nd half fouls were clearly in Burg's favor - 5 to 1. That's terrible refereeing. But even with that Minford should have won if they played TEAM ball. Yes, Burg is fast but I believe Minford has the better team. It will not show by the 2 man game they play and no rotation. They have a bench but not used. As has been shown time after time you win by playing your team.
If you knew about basketball, you would know that burg went inside earning their foul shots while minford stood outside shooting basketball. Blaming the officials is a weak argument for minfords weakness, which is the ability to jump. Outside of Rowe.
I've seen recent games that the fouls were something like 8 to 1 and I didn't think a thing about it. If you stand outside and chuck it, you're much less likely to shoot freebies. For the most part, we have officials who are working their tails off to call a fair game, while not trying to be the show, and 99% of the time, they have no barring on the outcome of games.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

FalconSports,
If you are going to blame the refs for the Burg loss Waverly can assuredly do the same for their loss to Minford. A 50-50 game with 1:00 to play was given to the Falcons. Many reasons for fouls to be lopsided, 5-1 is not the officials fault.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

Minford has one player that can get his own shot. You call it not team ball, what I have seen is one player getting the job done with next to no help.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

If Minford can get Sheppard back near full strength, they will be a force in the SE District tournament. They are well coached, just have to get healthy.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

danicalifornia wrote:If Minford can get Sheppard back near full strength, they will be a force in the SE District tournament. They are well coached, just have to get healthy.

... Dillon Sheppard WILL be the difference maker for Minford ... the sooner DS can get back into the lineup the better for the Falcons - the kid can get his shot off in the paint vs anyone ... hated to see that he was going to be out for the season BUT he IS now back - get Dillon in shape - the Minford chances for advancing into the tourney greatly improve imo

FalconSports
Waterboy

Post by FalconSports »

If you watched the game they did go inside as well, but only the two, and no fouls.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

FalconSports wrote:If you watched the game they did go inside as well, but only the two, and no fouls.
No they didn't. The game went as followed, Rowe drove to the basket. The times he didn't score he dished out. Minford got decent looks the first half from three but missed. In the second half, it was the same but Rowe did not dish much at all because he heated up. The times he did dish burg was on the shooter because they gave little help defense. I could count on one hand the amount of times they tried to post up. Burg on the other hand went straight to the post. There are always a few head scratching foul calls but most of those down there were easy to call.

Return to “Boys Basketball”