MOST ACCOMPLISHED OSU PLAYERS FROM SEO

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

MOST ACCOMPLISHED OSU PLAYERS FROM SEO

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Tippy Dye, Pomeroy High , 1934-1937, Earned 8 letters at OSU (3 football, 3 basketball, 2 baseball) . Had the record until 2006 for being the only OSU qb to beat Micigan 3 years in a row. He was assistant coach for Paul Brown in 1942 when OSU won their 1st football national title, he led Washington to a final 4 as head basketball coach in 1954 and was AD at Nebraska in the 60's and he hired Bob Devaney as head football coach which started the rise of their football tradition on the national stage.

Ken Fritz, Ironton High, 1976-1979, Played for both Woody & Earle as a starting guard under both head coaches. He is the one pictured restraining Woody after the infamous altercation at the end of the 1978 Gator Bowl when he was relieved as Coach. Ken was 2 time All Big-10 and a consensus 1st team All-American his senior year.

Rex Kern, Lancaster High, 1968-1970, Recruited to play both basketball & football at OSU. QB on consensus #1 National champ team of 1968 after beating USC and O.J. in Rose Bowl. He was 1st team All-american in 1969 but lost to Michigan so no bowl game back then. His senior year both OSU and Texas claimed part of a title but both lost their bowl game and Nebraska was undefeated so they won the AP title .

* Those would probably be my top 3. I didn't include Art Schlichter in SEO from Miami Trace as it's technically SWO. I know a few others such as Joe Burrow, Jermon Jackson , Tyler Whaley, Reggie Arden and Mike Chancey were recruited, played and/or lettered there. I'm sure there are more that i'm not aware of or forgot about so please feel free to add what you think would be your top 3 at the college level while playing at OSU *
Last edited by FANOSPORTS on Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
cbolt
SEOP

Re: MOST ACCOMPLISHED OSU PLAYERS FROM SEO

Post by cbolt »

I can't think 3 but one I don't see on your list would be Hubert Bobo from Chauncey-Dover at the time. Don't know what his stats were at TOSU but he played in the same backfield as Hop Cassidy on the 1954 National Champs. He played professionally for the Hamilton Tiger cats, Los Angeles Chargers and New York Titans. He also held state records for many years in rushing. Might even still hold some.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

cbolt wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:55 am I can't think 3 but one I don't see on your list would be Hubert Bobo from Chauncey-Dover at the time. Don't know what his stats were at TOSU but he played in the same backfield as Hop Cassidy on the 1954 National Champs. He played professionally for the Hamilton Tiger cats, Los Angeles Chargers and New York Titans. He also held state records for many years in rushing. Might even still hold some.
Yep, forgot about him. He was fullback on the 1954 team. He had recurring injuries I believe and that was his only season healthy in college. My dad saw him play in high school in the early 50's. He was also the punter in high school and dad said he could boom them.

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

I just looked at the state record list and he still holds the record for most career points and it's not even close.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

yes, I was going to mention Kenny fritz from ironton an all American lineman for the buckeyes. also roman fry from ironton that went to Clemson who was an all American lineman for the tigers. we have had others, reggie arden, walt delong, jermon Jackson and the like from ironton, but not at the same success level. and how could we forget coy bacon from ironton. played at Jackson state, then played for numerous nfl teams through the years. and also don't forget George mcaffee and glen presnell from ironton, in the pro football hall of fame as well. I think glen presnell got to choose the Detroit lions colors when the ironton tanks and the Portsmouth Spartans merged to form the Detroit lions. and we have had a bunch of guys that had great careers at colleges at the lower levels than fbs. realize I'm just mentioning ironton athletes. the author of the post mentioned some amazing athletes from other schools.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

how's about mike bartrum for meigs.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
Bird Dog
All Conference

Post by Bird Dog »

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:42 am how's about mike bartrum for meigs.
Never played at OSU

Bird Dog
All Conference

Post by Bird Dog »

Bobby Carpenter - Lancaster High

25th Street NW
Varsity

Post by 25th Street NW »

Arthur Schilichter
Miami Trace

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:42 am how's about mike bartrum for meigs.

bait he play for the herd??

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

what about mark synder? he just coach there or am I totally off the chart thinking he was involved somehow at OSU?

Bird Dog
All Conference

Post by Bird Dog »

countywide35 wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:27 am what about mark synder? he just coach there or am I totally off the chart thinking he was involved somehow at OSU?
He was there a few years and part of coaching staff on Buckeyes 2002 Championship

Jason Vorhees
S

Post by Jason Vorhees »

Hubert Bobo is a Legend that most people today don’t know about. He single-handedly beat many teams by himself in high school. Probably averaged 30 points per game in high school.

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

Bird Dog wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:40 am
countywide35 wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:27 am what about mark synder? he just coach there or am I totally off the chart thinking he was involved somehow at OSU?
He was there a few years and part of coaching staff on Buckeyes 2002 Championship

ok...thanks for the assurance....I thought he was part of it at one time or another...….when he left did he become the head coach of the herd ??

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Hubert Bobo Chauncey Dover (Athens) and Arthur Schilichter of Miami Trace

The Legendary 1954 National Champs Ohio State Back Field. Bobo #42. Hopalong Cassidy #40 (Heisman Winner)

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Ed Thompson- Portsmouth

338 career tackles (Still in the top 10 in career tackles at OSU). Would have been much more had be been able to play as a freshman. Remember back in those days freshman were not allowed to play. He lettered from 1974-76. All Big Ten and he actually came to OSU as a QB.

By far the most accomplished player from Southern Ohio to play at OSU.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

FANOSPORTS wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:02 am Yep, forgot about him. He was fullback on the 1954 team. He had recurring injuries I believe and that was his only season healthy in college. My dad saw him play in high school in the early 50's. He was also the punter in high school and dad said he could boom them.
He was hit by a car in high school. Hubert Bobo was the big reason Ohio State won the national title. Here’s a crazy thing. Hubert Bobo was full back, middle line back, and kicker for Ohio State. Bobo made the goal line stand tackle at the 1 yard line to beat Michigan

Kind of cool that Ohio’s top stat RB Bobo and QB Burrow grew up a couple miles from each other

TheFlyingDutchman
JV Team

Post by TheFlyingDutchman »

Kenny Fritz fans might disagree but Thompson was very good

kantucky
Varsity

Post by kantucky »

While he might not be a household name but he's one of the most amazing young men I have ever known, that's Ironton's Marcus William's. He attended OS on a full ride scholastic scholarship and was a pre-med student. He. Got bored or something his junior year he tried out for the team and earned a spot. Later he got a scholarship to play football and went on to become a doctor.

One of my favorite stories about Marcus was the morning after Ihe and Ironton played tough but came up short against North College Hill in the state basketball final. The next morning bright and early a man who knew him drove by the grocery store where he worked and there, after that tough loss was Marcus out there sweeping the parking lot. How many kids would have shown up that day to work?
Last edited by kantucky on Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Well, Who Wouldn't Love Them Fighting Tigers?!
PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

Drew Basil- Chillicothe. I know he was a kicker, but he’s like 8th all time in field goals made at Ohio State or something like that. Pretty good career as a Buckeye.

Who Dey!

Return to “Football”