SVC 2019

bsee12345
Varsity

SVC 2019

Post by bsee12345 »

Who is the pre season Favorite in 2019? Have read that Adena, Unioto ,Huntington and Southeastern have had good success during the summer. Piketon has a new coach. Have not heard much about Zane Trace, Paint Valley and Westfall. Appears the league race should be a dog fight.

Big Daddy 7371
Varsity

Re: SVC 2019

Post by Big Daddy 7371 »

Should be another great year in the SVC 4 teams stand out
But 2 will battle it out once again Unioto and SE
It’s theres to lose Adena and ZT will be there but these
2 teams stand out over the others with what they have coming back but only time will tell looking forward to great season

The Great Pumpkin
Waterboy

Post by The Great Pumpkin »

I look for Southeastern to win it this year.

HotDogSoftball
Riding the Bench

Post by HotDogSoftball »

The Great Pumpkin wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:00 pm I look for Southeastern to win it this year.
With who? Not happening. Might be competitive but not good enough to win the league.

HotDogSoftball
Riding the Bench

Post by HotDogSoftball »

Adena will win the league this year.

Tuxedo
Waterboy

Post by Tuxedo »

HotDogSoftball wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:55 pm
The Great Pumpkin wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:00 pm I look for Southeastern to win it this year.
With who? Not happening. Might be competitive but not good enough to win the league.
With the returning POY and a bunch of sophomores who were the best team in 8th grade. Not saying they’ll definitely win it like GP, but they have as good a chance as anyone.

HotDogSoftball
Riding the Bench

Post by HotDogSoftball »

No stock in POY or any awards voting/selection...in any sport in any league.

SE lost Wheeler (sophomore in the 8th grade class that was mentioned at SE) and Eldridge

Adena has the coach to win. And those coaches can get a lot out of a kid. They also have a few really quick and responsive athletes. They will be the smartest team.

Unioto has ok players, but loses height and athletics up front. (Unioto Coaches....not sure them, will know more Saturday maybe)

ZT has some talented Freshmen youth but the speed of the game may be a bit much for them. (Good coaching)

H If Basye plays she will help them. The Steele kid is not bad either. (Who’s the coach?)

PV I think they are young and no height. Not sure who the coach is.

W has a good hitter and maybe prove to be the best hitter at the end of the year.

SE has Hice and respectfully that’s about it unless the taller Skeens girl can dominate the front line on blocking. (SE has Good coaching also)

Piketon...they might be a sleeper with about 5 athletic freshmen and a new coach A. Lightle. If they have chemistry they will be a surprise challenge for everyone.

Coaches and their Relationship/Chemistry is what I see most important with these ladies teams....(the assistant coach can also be the worst thing to happen to a organization and ruin the chemistry)

There will be a few upsets to the norm...but I think the league is on the most even plain than it has been in years past. No super dominant teams.

KRS
JV Team

Post by KRS »

Don't see a dominant team this year. It should come down to Adena, Southeastern, and Unioto, each with a shot to win the league. With similar talent 'll give the edge to Adena and their coaching staff.

cactus
Waterboy

Post by cactus »

The favorite has to be Unioto. They are returning a lot with Pinkerton, Cottrill, Coleman, Eldridge, Stulley and others. They have the best passing in the league and probably the best setting in the league, also. They will miss a couple of very powerful hitters up front that graduated, but should still be the favorite.

Adena will be much improved this year. Riley, Harper, Martin, Carroll and company all have experience and will be ready to go. They will challenge Unioto for the title.

Southeastern returns Hice, Skeens and Lockwood, but they have some question marks, with setting being the biggest question.

Westfall returns Kristen Phillips and that is enough to be dangerous.

Zane Trace lost some key players, but they return Allie Bennett and Laynee Hill. Should be a solid team.

Paint Valley has some nice youth, but lost key players to graduation.

Huntington has Steele, but not much else to go with her.

Not sure what to expect from Piketon. New coach and some young athletes.

Fireball8
Waterboy

Post by Fireball8 »

I Only got to see the first two matches Saturday. it Will be interesting to hear what SVC Sportszone has to say tonight on their program. svcsportszone.com

Westfall has a big hitter in Phillips and that's about it she seemed to be good leader of her team when watching and listening to her.
Zane Trace has some young ladies that will be good late season once they understand the speed of the game.
Piketon will be a contender for last place with Paint Valley

I did not get to see Adena, Westfall, Huntington or Paint Valley, but from what I have been told, Southeastern will be a contender for 1st place with Unioto and Adena will be a contender with Westfall for 3rd place. So It will be interesting to see if that is correct.

Unioto has to learn the front row game and consistent setting or they may have some difficulties with taller teams.

Just My Humble Opinion

Justmebaby
Waterboy

Post by Justmebaby »

After watching each team in the preview last Saturday, I believe the league is as balanced as I have seen it in a very long time. The separation from 1-8 has shrunk considerably and I think the league champion will have at least a couple of losses! With that... here is my take...

Adena passes better than anyone. Lack big hitters up from and my be susceptible to quick offenses.

Huntington has a couple really good athletes but what is around them is yet to be seen. They are always scrappy and stick their noses in matches.

Paint Valley may be the most improved team in the league. They have some good athletes and I believe will get that elusive win in the SVC... maybe even a couple!

Piketon has some good young athletes, but don't know they have the experience or maturity to compete on a regular basis.

Southeastern is very strong at the net, but lack some ability to pass and set it. Everyone will struggle with their size and athleticism at the net if they can get in system.

Unioto also passes it well, but I honestly thought they looked like a lesser Adena. They definitely have the talent and experience to compete. They have to be the favorite, but dont know that they looked like the best team.

Westfall has to be more than 1 player. The 1 is good and the rest looked like they are playing well. I look for them to be REALLY competitive in every match!

Zane Trace is really young, but looked as though they have some really good athletes. 2nd half of the year they could surprise some teams.

IMO... here is how I see it shaking out...

1. Adena - coaching will fix problems at the net and they pass it really well
2. Southeastern - getting the Libero back will cure a lot of ills for them and their coaching staff will fix the problems
3. Unioto - although the favorite on paper, I think they could struggle at the net
4. Westfall - had a good summer and I think they are ready to compete
5. Huntington - good, but not enough horses to compete with the top 4
6. Piketon - decent size and athleticism and I think the new coach will have them better the 2nd half
7. Paint Valley - I think they get a few wins this year... they have some nice pieces and a young setter to keep them in system
8. Zane Trace - I think they stick their noses in games the 2nd half, and I know this is a big drop for them, not slighting them I just the 2 above them have gotten alot better.

HotDogSoftball
Riding the Bench

Post by HotDogSoftball »

Thought Chillicothe had Unioto beat. Glad we stayed to watch. Was a fun and interesting game to watch. One of Unioto’s Bigs gets hurt in first set at the beginning, chillicothe people go crazy, unioto puts in freshman who became a star, Pinkerton and Fulkerson go at it hit after hit and dig after dig. The hurt kid tries to come back in...then Unioto puts on a clinic of speed and hustle for 3 sets. Wow. All for $5.00.
Glad I drove to chillicothe.

redchair
Waterboy

Post by redchair »

League play starts Tuesday.
Unioto at Zane Trace
Adena at Paint Valley
Southeastern at Westfall
Piketon at Huntington

I'd predict Unioto, Adena, Westfall and Huntington starting off league play with wins.

Big Daddy 7371
Varsity

Post by Big Daddy 7371 »

saw that game also great atmosphere sorry to see the wheeler girl down in 1st set was one of the best games i`ve seen emotional roller coaster for both teams was worth the $5 and saw on facebook she has tore her ACL out for 6-7 months

HotDogSoftball
Riding the Bench

Post by HotDogSoftball »

Almost went to SE and Westfall but decided to go to ZT

ZT over Unioto 3-2

ZT was too much for the Unioto front line to handle. Unioto tried to tip and push the game to win and that’s not going to win against too many teams. If that is the game plan then I put Unioto at 3rd place.

ZT has some smart (and young) players that out smarted the veteran Unioto team. Really Coach Davis out witted the Unioto squad.

Westfall over SE in 3.

Huntington over Piketon in 3

Adena over PV in 3

Fireball8
Waterboy

Post by Fireball8 »

HotDogSoftball wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:23 pm Almost went to SE and Westfall but decided to go to ZT

ZT over Unioto 3-2

ZT was too much for the Unioto front line to handle. Unioto tried to tip and push the game to win and that’s not going to win against too many teams. If that is the game plan then I put Unioto at 3rd place.

ZT has some smart (and young) players that out smarted the veteran Unioto team. Really Coach Davis out witted the Unioto squad.

Westfall over SE in 3.

Huntington over Piketon in 3

Adena over PV in 3

You should have went to watch Southeastern and Westfall

cactus
Waterboy

Post by cactus »

Zane Trace had the most impressive opening week taking down both defending champions. I was very surprised to see this. Adena and Westfall have played very well thus far, also. Then, Unioto beats a 5-0 Huntington team with multiple players out, including Pinkerton and Emily Coleman. As far as who will win this league, it's a guessing game at this point. Lots of parity this season.

redchair
Waterboy

Post by redchair »

Zane Trace at Adena and Westfall at Huntington will be big games tonight. If Westfall would lose at Huntington it could make things very interesting. If Westfall wins it puts them in the driver's seat and Huntington would have a difficult time getting back into the league race.

KRS
JV Team

Post by KRS »

Big games this Thursday Adena @Westfall- Mustang victory puts them in the drivers seat. Adena win could make things very interesting.
Before the season began, thought this first round SE @ Unioto match up would have been the big game but it looks like this could be a must win for both to have a shot to just stay in contention, definitely for the Panthers.

HotDogSoftball
Riding the Bench

Post by HotDogSoftball »

Huntington almost beat Westfall. But did not. Paint Valley won a set against Unioto and Zane Trace lost in 3 sets to Adena. I will have mid season thoughts next week.

Return to “Volleyball”