Final: Jackson 31 Athens 26

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Re: Final: Jackson 31 Athens 26

Post by 93Bulldog »

That comment that comes up all the time "more to choose from" is the dumbest statement ever.

No coach, no team, no whatever chooses anything. Athens has 44 kids who came out & want to play football. That's it. They have barely any freshmen, no freshmen team, no 8th grade team and coach White was thinking about not even playing a JV schedule!

3 years from now you may not have to worry about Athens playing football in the TVC - they may join the 8-man football league.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

93Bulldog wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:58 pm That comment that comes up all the time "more to choose from" is the dumbest statement ever.

No coach, no team, no whatever chooses anything.
Why are there divisions then? More kids in the school absolutely makes a difference! If it didn’t, the state of Ohio would have one set of playoffs and zero divisions. C’mon bulldog!

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Sweet. So I can go in the school & hand pick some more players tomorrow? I'm gonna go choose 5 or 6 soccer players who can run & maybe find 4 or 5 big kids who dont play. I had no idea this was an option. Lol

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Raider6309 wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:39 pm
93Bulldog wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:32 pm Since when did the MVL split?
I just looked at Tri Valley schedule

Crooksville
New Lex
Morgan
Philo
Maysville
West muskingum
Next year. The big school division features Tri-Valley, Sheridan, Philo, Maysville, John Glenn and River View, while the small school division is Coshocton, Meadowbrook, New Lex, West Muskingum, Crooksville and Morgan.

Fan has an extreme hatred for Athens. He’s trying to spin everything to hate on Athens. The MVL only expanded because a league is dying, the ECOL. Hard to say the expansion is a good idea yet
The ECOL is the only option Marietta had when they joined and you're correct as Meadowbook, Coshocton and Riverview are leaving for the MVL. That will only leave New Philly, Cambridge, Dover, Z'ville and Marietta which are all decent size schools with pretty good athletic histories overall. No spin on the MVL as both divisions will be "competitive" yearly. Maybe Athens could schedule Zanesville, New Philly or Dover for out of conference football games home and home for a couple years each. Nice easy 1 1/2 - 2 hour drive on good highways. Ah, never mind !!!!! :o

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Marietta has always been in no mans land. They used to be in a central Ohio league before the SEOAL.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

93Bulldog wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:58 pm That comment that comes up all the time "more to choose from" is the dumbest statement ever.

No coach, no team, no whatever chooses anything. Athens has 44 kids who came out & want to play football. That's it. They have barely any freshmen, no freshmen team, no 8th grade team and coach White was thinking about not even playing a JV schedule!

3 years from now you may not have to worry about Athens playing football in the TVC - they may join the 8-man football league.
Another argument on your end....Athens has soccer (and I’m guessing good teams with maybe 30 boys. Band isn’t huge. XC looks to have around 18 boys, golf? Do t know but probably 10+ kids. Jackson being a similar size school and we don’t have a ton more football kids, around 10 golf, 25 soccer, 5 XC but around 70 boys in the band. Athens is a little more big city mixture tucked into a little SE city. Athens has some skill kids but sport wise I feel Athens is bit more running/soccer than Friday Night Lights. I’m surprised your band isn’t a bit bigger. Good at football and have been at basketball but for skill sports of the main 3....I always think of Athens has baseball at #1.

Also at 20 team Zane Trace Invitational today Athens won it by beating the best around (Unioto and Sheridan weren’t) but Athens without a top 5 runner and still took home the win.

Unioto and Burg seem to be very good across the sports and Burg has had years where all of their big 3 were regional or better teams. Athens is pretty solid at everything but not all your athletes are on board in any sport. Doubt many Burg kids in hallway would help football team of past years.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I hate soccer!

We have more than 30, btw

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

93Bulldog wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:21 pm I hate soccer!

I’m sure we will go undefeated and lose to some Catholic school in the regionals :lol:

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Raider6309 wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:12 pm Marietta has always been in no mans land. They used to be in a central Ohio league before the SEOAL.
So was Ironton !!! (Now that was some travelling on a friday night)

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Raider6309 wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:24 pm
93Bulldog wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:21 pm I hate soccer!

I’m sure we will go undefeated and lose to some Catholic school in the regionals :lol:
DeSales most generally 8-)

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Athens has ...

Boys varsity soccer team
Boys Junior Varsity soccer team
Boys 8th grade soccer team
Boys 7/8th grade combo team
Coed 8th grade soccer team
Coed 7/8th grade soccer team
Coed 7th grade soccer team

* There are exactly 35 boys playing soccer at Athens grades 9-12 ... Just 9 less than the entire football program.

Now you know why Athens only has 44 football players and no freshmen or 8th grade teams.

Athens may seem "big" to the TVC, but in reality, it's a relatively small D3 school. It tries to support a thriving soccer program, boys tennis, cross country, football and golf - but I can tell you, it is not easy.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

FANOSPORTS wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:33 pm DeSales most generally 8-)
We will run into Summit Country Day

Dandy Don
All Conference

Post by Dandy Don »

Dundas wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:31 pm Athens has played a handful of old Seoal schools the last few years. The results are mixed. They’ve beaten Logan by 7, lost to Jackson by 5. They’ve played gallia years ago with some success. Athens will steamroll through the TVC again this year and it’s becoming clearer and clearer that they just have too many resources for the rest of the TVC Ohio to compete on a regular basis. It’s not going to be long before something changes. Either on the Athens end, or the TVC’s.
Dundas is right.

Why we carry on this pretense about Athens is beyond me, we list out all these tangential "exceptions" (see above posts about numbers and soccer and on and on) to what clearly is an issue that needs addressed rather than just plotting a solution or path forward. TVC can handle a solution, we act like we are solving how to establish a colony on Mars or something. It is freaking SE Ohio football - it isn't that hard.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I think we should eliminate league titles, make everything balanced, move kids around school districts to make sure we have equal enrollments, and then hand out participation trophies to all the teams & kids who try hard.

You guys crack me up. My (our) biggest rival my entire career (and long after) had 150 to 200 more boys in their school and we never once cried about it. Yes, Logan dominated the league for the most part, but we didnt care. Just made us want to beat them more!

Dandy Don
All Conference

Post by Dandy Don »

More false flags and peripheral discussions. No one thinks Athens-Logan in football is the the same as Athens-River Valley.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

93Bulldog wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:42 pm I think we should eliminate league titles, make everything balanced, move kids around school districts to make sure we have equal enrollments, and then hand out participation trophies to all the teams & kids who try hard.

You guys crack me up. My (our) biggest rival my entire career (and long after) had 150 to 200 more boys in their school and we never once cried about it. Yes, Logan dominated the league for the most part, but we didnt care. Just made us want to beat them more!
Again, Athens baseball town and you beat em in baseball yearly

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Dandy Don wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:48 pm More false flags and peripheral discussions. No one thinks Athens-Logan in football is the the same as Athens-River Valley.
The addition of River Valley came after Athens had already joined. Never liked that decision.

Athens schedule does not look much different than 20 years ago. They just switched the non league to league games and vice versa. We always played NY, Meigs, VC sometimes, Alexander ... in hoops we played almost all the TVC teams.

NY BUCK
All State

Post by NY BUCK »

I’m confused on what extra resources Athens has? Just because they are bigger? Nobody was saying this when Athens wasn’t having much success with their football program. Didn’t Burg have a ton of kids out last year or year before, like an absurd number? They are D5 and win the SOC every year, should they be kicked out? Athens has developed a good football program. They have been in the league since 08, it’s time to let it go. I don’t like when they beat Ny but it’s not their size I complain about it’s because they are just better. Most times they don’t even have the biggest team in the league. I will admit, I make jokes about the small school big school matchup but that’s just rivalry fun. I have to side with 93 on this one

Dandy Don
All Conference

Post by Dandy Don »

lol guys love to argue either side, pretty easy to do so, but I am going to get back to watching that tiny soccer school's former QB play on national tv against Texas

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Dandy Don wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:12 pm lol guys love to argue either side, pretty easy to do so, but I am going to get back to watching that tiny soccer school's former QB play on national tv against Texas
🤣🤣🤣🤣

Return to “Football”