Miller leaving the TVC ?

NY BUCK
All State

Re: Miller leaving the TVC ?

Post by NY BUCK »

EasternDspy wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:28 pm Fort Frye is more willing then ever to join and apply for Southeast District. Let’s get this movement started.
I second this statement

NY BUCK
All State

Post by NY BUCK »

Oakhead wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:30 pm I'd like to see Oak Hill join the TVC. I think we'd be a good fit.
I second this statement as well lol

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

Miller is kind of out on an island by itself, outside of Trimble to the south. If not for size, the MVL is the best geographical fit, but Miller is too small for the MVL. New Lex, Crooksville and Sheridan would make perfect rivals if not for school size.

I don’t see Miller being any more successful in any sport in the MSL than the TVC. I don’t have records to verify this or anything, but I think Miller has won fewer championships in any sport in the TVC than any other TVC school who has been in the TVC as long as Miller. In most years, when your team played Miller, I think most people just assumed your team would win that game, no matter the sport. I don’t know why Miller has struggled to win in sports for so long, especially after the creation of the Hocking Division. When small schools only play other small schools, the law of averages say you are going to have championships in some sports at least every now and then. It has always been more rare at Miller. Same could be said for South Gallia in the Hocking and River Valley in the Ohio, even though they haven’t been in the TVC as long. Although, I don’t think either of them had many championships in any sport in past leagues either.

I think Miller will have the same problems in the MSL as they have in the TVC, the only difference being which direction they travel to play games.

Wahama was always the red-headed stepchild in the TVC. Though competitive in most sports in the last decade, a West Virginia school in the TVC never felt right.

I see this as a golden opportunity to add Oak Hill, Fort Frye and/or Warren to the TVC now. Geographically, those are the three best options. I think most schools will see Warren as too big, so I like the odds of Fort Frye and Oak Hill joining. What’s sad though is that Fort Frye is competitive enough to be in the Ohio, but they will be regulated to the Hocking where Trimble will be their only real challenge in most years in football. Waterford will be a challenge in some years as well. I had hoped Belpre would return to their glory days in football in the Hocking when they switched over a decade ago, but that never happened.

ReedsvilleEaglesFan
Freshman Team

Post by ReedsvilleEaglesFan »

NYBuckeye96 wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:00 am Miller is kind of out on an island by itself, outside of Trimble to the south. If not for size, the MVL is the best geographical fit, but Miller is too small for the MVL. New Lex, Crooksville and Sheridan would make perfect rivals if not for school size.

I don’t see Miller being any more successful in any sport in the MSL than the TVC. I don’t have records to verify this or anything, but I think Miller has won fewer championships in any sport in the TVC than any other TVC school who has been in the TVC as long as Miller. In most years, when your team played Miller, I think most people just assumed your team would win that game, no matter the sport. I don’t know why Miller has struggled to win in sports for so long, especially after the creation of the Hocking Division. When small schools only play other small schools, the law of averages say you are going to have championships in some sports at least every now and then. It has always been more rare at Miller. Same could be said for South Gallia in the Hocking and River Valley in the Ohio, even though they haven’t been in the TVC as long. Although, I don’t think either of them had many championships in any sport in past leagues either.

I think Miller will have the same problems in the MSL as they have in the TVC, the only difference being which direction they travel to play games.

Wahama was always the red-headed stepchild in the TVC. Though competitive in most sports in the last decade, a West Virginia school in the TVC never felt right.

I see this as a golden opportunity to add Oak Hill, Fort Frye and/or Warren to the TVC now. Geographically, those are the three best options. I think most schools will see Warren as too big, so I like the odds of Fort Frye and Oak Hill joining. What’s sad though is that Fort Frye is competitive enough to be in the Ohio, but they will be regulated to the Hocking where Trimble will be their only real challenge in most years in football. Waterford will be a challenge in some years as well. I had hoped Belpre would return to their glory days in football in the Hocking when they switched over a decade ago, but that never happened.

I'm personally glad both Miller and Wahama are leaving. We've never beaten Wahama when they were any good, and who likes driving to Miller even if you know it's a win. Heck one of our teams left a coach there last year and almost never made it back in time to get him out. :lol:

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

I might go watch Harvest Prep vs Miller in basketball. They might score 200 :lol:

Happy McGavin
Varsity

Post by Happy McGavin »

Raider6309 wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:04 pm I might go watch Harvest Prep vs Miller in basketball. They might score 200 :lol:
Prep is moving to big division of the MSL

Its all in the hips
Trimble Juvenile
Varsity

Post by Trimble Juvenile »

ReedsvilleEaglesFan wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:15 am
NYBuckeye96 wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:00 am Miller is kind of out on an island by itself, outside of Trimble to the south. If not for size, the MVL is the best geographical fit, but Miller is too small for the MVL. New Lex, Crooksville and Sheridan would make perfect rivals if not for school size.

I'm personally glad both Miller and Wahama are leaving. We've never beaten Wahama when they were any good, and who likes driving to Miller even if you know it's a win. Heck one of our teams left a coach there last year and almost never made it back in time to get him out. :lol:
I hate to see either one leave. Having all those teams in the Hocking made for a boat load of playoff points. Wahama is due to be back up soon and would be great competition for the Cats. Hopefully we'll still play both in the future.

carbon_dated
All State

Post by carbon_dated »

I don't want to have to scroll back on 3 pages of this thread, but I have one question.
How has Miller looked in the scrimmages thus far?

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Happy McGavin wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:45 pm
Raider6309 wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:04 pm I might go watch Harvest Prep vs Miller in basketball. They might score 200 :lol:
I believe this is incorrect. Prep is only going to the Ohio division for football. I believe that Wellington is moving to the Ohio and Miller is taking their spot.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

Miller will also be an outlier culturally in the MSL. Miller has its roots as an Appalachian southeastern Ohio former coal mining community. Just like most of the schools in the TVC. None of the other schools in the MSL can say the same. The economical differences will be there as well. I’m assuming Miller will be the poorest public school in the conference and will have even less in common with the private schools.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Prep only moved in football. Basketball has the small schools

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Good posts, NYBuckeye96.

teach1coach2
All State

Post by teach1coach2 »

Millersport is similar to Miller in size, success, and student body socioeconomic.

teach1coach2
All State

Post by teach1coach2 »

One thing to add:
Southern Local (Miller) was the consolidation of 5 small town schools in 1966. Hemlock, Shawnee, New Straitsville, Corning, and Moxahala.

I can remember as a small child my dad showing me the trophy case there with trophy after trophy from the late 60s and early 70s. He said Miller dominated a league and the league disbanded and soon after reformed without Miller. They were an independent until the TVC accepted them in 1983.

Around 2000 they had the football playoff teams that went 10-0 and 9-1 and both lost in week 11.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

teach1coach2 wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:57 pm Millersport is similar to Miller in size, success, and student body socioeconomic.
Yes. Millersport is the one school Miller remotely resembles (although it is marginally more wealthier.) Only problem is, and ironically it’s largely why the MSL pursued Miller (any school in general, though), Walnut Twp schools (Millersport) officials told the MSL that they do not anticipate varsity football being revived anytime soon.

Binary
JV Team

Post by Binary »

NYBuckeye96 wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:41 pm Miller will also be an outlier culturally in the MSL. Miller has its roots as an Appalachian southeastern Ohio former coal mining community. Just like most of the schools in the TVC. None of the other schools in the MSL can say the same. The economical differences will be there as well. I’m assuming Miller will be the poorest public school in the conference and will have even less in common with the private schools.

Nice comparisons, but not totally accurate from what I've seen. First of all, the only other "former coal mining community" that I know of that serves the schools in the TVC Hocking is Trimble. In fact, when I drive through the communities and areas that serve Waterford, Federal-Hocking, Eastern, Southern and South Gallia I see farmlands. In Belpre there are several factories on the river, and some people from Eastern and Southern also work at those plants. I don't think I've ever seen even a corn field in the Miller district and from what I've heard the one factory they had closed down several years ago. So they don't have that much in common with the other Hocking schools I mentioned. Something else to think about is where the parents and family members do work. I spoke with a parent yesterday and he's happy that he'll finally get to see some of his daughter's games without taking time off work. According to him the people from Miller go north for employment. Other than a few who work in Athens, they drive to New Lexington, Zanesville, Newark, Logan, Lancaster and Columbus. I'm sure anyone who works in those places can get to any school in the MSL much quicker than they can any school in the TVC Hocking. So, instead of leaving work early in Columbus to go to a game at South Gallia, Belpre, Eastern or Southern and then back home in Corning after the game a parent can go to the game on the way home from work. That's my 2 cents.

Happy McGavin
Varsity

Post by Happy McGavin »

Raider6309 wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:44 pm
Prep only moved in football. Basketball has the small schools
Oh wow, yea the bball game could get real ugly then

Its all in the hips
fortdawg
All Conference

Post by fortdawg »

I'm not sure how far back you want to go on the coal mining history but Federal's district had at least 3 mines I know of:
Canaanville
Lathrop (Stewart)
Broadwell (Stewart).
Meigs County had 3 mines operating in the 1970's.
You are right that the travel will be cut down for the Falcon parents.
Another thing is that kids in the Miller district shop and hang in Lancaster and will see kids they play outside of school.
That doesn't happen much now except for seeing Trimble kids.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

fortdawg wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:53 pm I'm not sure how far back you want to go on the coal mining history but Federal's district had at least 3 mines I know of:
Canaanville
Lathrop (Stewart)
Broadwell (Stewart).
Another thing is that kids in the Miller district shop and hang in Lancaster and will see kids they play outside of school
I can’t wait for a truck-revving contest in the River Valley Mall parking lot between three Miller football players and a marauding gang of Berne Union Rockets. :mrgreen:

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

fortdawg wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:53 pm I'm not sure how far back you want to go on the coal mining history but Federal's district had at least 3 mines I know of:
Canaanville
Lathrop (Stewart)
Broadwell (Stewart).
Another thing is that kids in the Miller district shop and hang in Lancaster and will see kids they play outside of school.
At one time. Northern Athens and Southern Perry produced 40% of all coal in Ohio. They still sit on billions worth of coal. The New Straightsville mine is still on fire.

Return to “Football”