Pennsylvania Bill Introduced To Separate Public and Private Schools State Championships

radiodavel
JV Team

Pennsylvania Bill Introduced To Separate Public and Private Schools State Championships

Post by radiodavel »

https://statelinesportsnetwork.net/2019 ... mpionships

Omega
SEOPS H

Re: Pennsylvania Bill Introduced To Separate Public and Private Schools State Championships

Post by Omega »

My unpopular opinion is that it impossible to regulate or legislate equality of result. Such efforts encourage mediocrity instead of promoting excellence. Trophies should be earned and not handed out as an entitlement.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
Kicker.
All Conference

Re: Pennsylvania Bill Introduced To Separate Public and Private Schools State Championships

Post by Kicker. »

Omega wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:28 pm My unpopular opinion is that it impossible to regulate or legislate equality of result. Such efforts encourage mediocrity instead of promoting excellence. Trophies should be earned and not handed out as an entitlement.

I feel that it’s a motivating factor to go out and beat these private schools, that and along with that fact it just couldn’t work out separating private and public

A Kicker of various balls. Trust The Process
toast
All State

Post by toast »

It is at least an acknowledgment that the current situation is completely unfair and out of wack. Publics and privates play by very different rules when it comes to enrollment. And it certainly affects who walks through their front door.

No one I know wants complete equality. But we can and should take steps to level the playing field. We can do better than the current state.

The best way to encourage "excellence" would be to level the playing field. Then and only then would success come down to work ethic, effort, passion and determination.

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

The State Legislature has nothing better to do? Same state that ruled officials are employees

Abe Froman
S

Post by Abe Froman »

Omega wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:28 pm My unpopular opinion is that it impossible to regulate or legislate equality of result. Such efforts encourage mediocrity instead of promoting excellence. Trophies should be earned and not handed out as an entitlement.
Thank you, simply thank you.

Enough is enough with this clamor toward making everything an equal playing field. Read something the other day where people wanted privates gone and two more divisions bringing the total to 9. Laughable.

Open enrollment is darn near the same as a private catholic school for all intents and purposes. Fact is Hartley, DeSales, etc. attract parents that want top notch facilities for their kids academically and athletically. Want a great program then follow the patterns of what great programs do to get better - hint: they don't whine.

Go compete, beat someone "better" on paper than you. It happens every Saturday and Sunday during football season. Heck it happens every week of every year of any sports season.

And if you lose to a better team/person then understand that lesson as a 16 year old, because it will be the same when you are a 36 year old.

toast
All State

Post by toast »

^^^

Could not disagree more. It's never has been and never will be about making everything "equal". It's about creating a more level playing field.

I do have to chuckle when people bring up legitimate issues concerning this subject and get accused of "whining". I guess that's easier than actually addressing the issue.

For the record I'm not for separate divisions and championship for public and private schools. Just that I and many others grow weary of the "just go out and try harder BS".

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

With all the player movement that we see nowadays, separating private and public certainly won't fix the equality issue. I have seen some kids in my area go to 4 public schools in 4 years. Open enrollment, competitive balance, tier 1 and tier 2, and whatever else, to sort out what is real equality is not an easy analysis.

I'm all for being fair and equal, but how do you actually achieve it? Can there be a system that really does level the playing field, or is another tweaking enough to satisfy those who want change?

Separating public and private still won't satisfy everyone, because if that happens, then the next complaint will be to separate urban from rural....and there are those who think that urban schools have an unfair advantage over rural schools. There's always a lot of complaining about having to travel to certain places for playoff games, in which one school seems to get favored over another with less travel.

There will never be a perfectly equal system of competing for championships. May be considered a pessimistic view, but I have yet to see anything that convinces me that this system or that system is absolutely the fairest way to give all 720+ football schools in Ohio an equal chance.

cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

trojandave wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:29 pmSeparating public and private still won't satisfy everyone, because if that happens, then the next complaint will be to separate urban from rural....and there are those who think that urban schools have an unfair advantage over rural schools.
Couldn't agree more! People will find out how much the big city schools recruit once they start winning everything with out the privates to balance them out.

Abe Froman
S

Post by Abe Froman »

toast wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:02 am Could not disagree more. It's never has been and never will be about making everything "equal". It's about creating a more level playing field.
Lol, oh boy

Return to “Football”