Regional Final: Wheelersburg vs Harvest Prep

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Re: Regional Final: Wheelersburg vs Harvest Prep

Post by FANOSPORTS »

OSU Alumni 2000 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:36 pm One thing that baffles me is why did prep take the air out of the ball in the 2nd quarter especially after putting up 21 in the first?
Exactly. You start the 2nd quarter, stall for most of it, take maybe 4 shots after a double digit lead after 1st (21-11) and score 0 pts in 2nd. It almost bit them in the hind end until the last few minutes of the game when they turned it back on and started pushing it again. The big boy #35 seemed very quick and strong when he wanted to be and Tanner did his usual on the other side. The point for prep #2 turned it on and off at will it seemed and I think when they went into stall mode in 2nd and part of 3rd he was a little perturbed at the coach for doing that . The slow down allowed Burg to get back into the game and as others have posted, there were a couple open 3's that didn't fall along with a couple air balls that could have been big for the Mo in the 3rd and start of 4th qtr. Congrats & great job Burg for putting a little scare into the Columbus East All Stars.

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

What baffles me is the lack of sportsmanship displayed. Within the first 5 min Wheelersburg had a bench warning for talking on Holden, the official made them hand them the ball after a passive aggressive move on a FT, and at the end of the game, Burg took their trophy and walked off the court not even giving Harvest Prep the respect they earned. That was a total bush league move, you got beat it happens, but total classless.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

Great season by the Pirates, and as said above, the most wins ever in a single season.

Two things that stuck out to me that really hurt the Burg.

1.) They held HP scoreless in the second quarter but only scored 6 points themselves. Had they been able to knock down some shots and take the lead at the half maybe they hold on for the win.

2.) After tying the game on Tanners second three of the half they couldn't throw one in the ocean from the beach. That really hurt letting HP jump back out to double digits.

Still a very valiant effort against a very talented team.

"Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends"
yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

thebarlowbandit wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:19 am What baffles me is the lack of sportsmanship displayed. Within the first 5 min Wheelersburg had a bench warning for talking on Holden, the official made them hand them the ball after a passive aggressive move on a FT, and at the end of the game, Burg took their trophy and walked off the court not even giving Harvest Prep the respect they earned. That was a total bush league move, you got beat it happens, but total classless.

But it was okay for the big boy to block a shot and stare down the Burg player. He talked quite a bit himself early on. Nothing said to him though.

On the FT all Holden did was roll the ball to the ref. That’s never happened has it. Pretty petty out of the ref to bounce the ball back to him and make him throw it back to him.

You’re reaching on the trophy presentation. Last time Burg won the regional in 2007 Tusky Valley didn’t stick around for the Burg to receive their trophy. Pretty sure Ironton didn’t either in 2006. Those teams lost as well. It happens!!

Hulk
Waterboy

Post by Hulk »

This is getting funnier by the minute ,so Ohhsaa should want the bigger crowd in Columbus and should do what to get them there?

Because one team was classless to burg last year ,you stoop to their level?

Burg missing shots and it had nothing to do with the swarming defense of the quickest team you seen all year?

I seen the HP players hugging Holden after the game telling me they had mad respect for him after what he done to them last year .

I think some adults could learn from the kids

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

It was a good game to watch and the better team won. Both teams had things that didn’t fall their way, but that’s basketball. Neither team shot it well.

One thing I don’t agree with is yabba’s belief that the team with the larger crowd should be at the Schott, not the better team. Kids earn the win on the floor, not by the amount of fans who come.

Burg had a great season and now start a new era without Tanner Holden, the best player in Wheelersburg history. Plenty of good athletes return, but Holden was able to bring a different dynamic to the team and win games for them when shots weren’t falling. It’ll be interesting to see how Burg adjusts from now until December for their next game.

Last comment —- Harvest is good, but they’ll lose their next game to Purcell Marian.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
Prince
Riding the Bench

Post by Prince »

Great year by the Pirates. They will continue to have very good teams down the road. This group of Seniors will be hard to replace. Holden was so very talented and the others had tremendous grit and toughness .

Bobbbbbb
Freshman Team

Post by Bobbbbbb »

These comments are hilarious by Burg haters! Hahahahaha :lol: :lol: :lol: you people are pathetic! Go start your own threads about your own schools! :roll:

BurgBaskets
Riding the Bench

Post by BurgBaskets »

Great season by Burg! A question I have....they have one Senior, Justin Salyers, who gave really good minutes this year and I believe may have started a couple games. I never saw him get a second on the court in the last 2 or 3 games. Especially with last night being the last game of his HS career. Anyone have any insight into that? I guess he may have had an injury or in some trouble but I thought it was very strange to not see a second of play time. Again great season that will be one to remember!

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

bbjunky81 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:26 am It was a good game to watch and the better team won. Both teams had things that didn’t fall their way, but that’s basketball. Neither team shot it well.

One thing I don’t agree with is yabba’s belief that the team with the larger crowd should be at the Schott, not the better team. Kids earn the win on the floor, not by the amount of fans who come.

Burg had a great season and now start a new era without Tanner Holden, the best player in Wheelersburg history. Plenty of good athletes return, but Holden was able to bring a different dynamic to the team and win games for them when shots weren’t falling. It’ll be interesting to see how Burg adjusts from now until December for their next game.

Last comment —- Harvest is good, but they’ll lose their next game to Purcell Marian.

Not saying Burg should be at the schott with the larger crowd, what I'm saying as long as these private schools are able to put these kinds of teams together you're attendance numbers will take a hit as these private schools have no following. How many fans do you think they had outside of their school yesterday? I would say few if any. I would guess there were a lot of fans not from Burg there.

Guarantee you that the OHSAA will be crying about how attendance is down on the first two session on Thursday with Prep playing in one game and Lutheran East in the other. They will bring no crowd.

Trust me, HP was the better team but yesterday Burg gave them a scare they weren't expecting.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

BurgBaskets wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:16 am Great season by Burg! A question I have....they have one Senior, Justin Salyers, who gave really good minutes this year and I believe may have started a couple games. I never saw him get a second on the court in the last 2 or 3 games. Especially with last night being the last game of his HS career. Anyone have any insight into that? I guess he may have had an injury or in some trouble but I thought it was very strange to not see a second of play time. Again great season that will be one to remember!
I wondered that myself about Justin. He could shoot the three pretty decent but never saw the floor the last few games.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

thebarlowbandit wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:19 am What baffles me is the lack of sportsmanship displayed. Within the first 5 min Wheelersburg had a bench warning for talking on Holden, the official made them hand them the ball after a passive aggressive move on a FT, and at the end of the game, Burg took their trophy and walked off the court not even giving Harvest Prep the respect they earned. That was a total bush league move, you got beat it happens, but total classless.
Don’t start dude. Burg got their trophy and then let Prep have the court so they could cut down the nets. I don’t think I’ve ever seen an opposing team watch another team cut down the nets.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Raider6309 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:13 pm That second quarter was bizarre. Harvest Prep was clearly in complete control playing uptempo and for some reason they slowed it down.
You can’t play up tempo against a zone team that’s hitting shots on the offensive end. The reason they slowed it down was they wanted burg to come guard them far out on the perimeter so they could isolate and go one one. Burgs plan was spot on. HP was not in control until burg went on a slump late 3rd qtr. that’s when the wheels fell off

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

wobycat wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:24 am
Don’t start dude. Burg got their trophy and then let Prep have the court so they could cut down the nets. I don’t think I’ve ever seen an opposing team watch another team cut down the nets.
Thought the same thing. I’ll be honest though I’ve never paid attention to what the losing team was doing after they got the trophy. They all shook hands, burg congratulated HP, got there trophy and let HP have the court. Just curious how long was burg supposed to stay on the court? Should they have left after trophy presentation, after they cut down the nets, after the last HP player left the court?

Browns30
JV Team

Post by Browns30 »

The only disrespect I felt I saw from either side was when the HP adults were booing the Wheelersburg starters and yelling things such as “air ball”. The student sections do it all the time and that’s fine, but I don’t think I have ever seen it from the adult fans. Not very classy at all.

CavalierAlum05
Varsity

Post by CavalierAlum05 »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:20 pm
Raider6309 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:12 pm He was definitely the difference maker to keep Holden in check. HP couldn’t shoot today so that was big.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Holden was only 5 off of his avearage. When he drove the lane he had 2-3 players around him. Instead of forcing the shot he kicked it out to wide open shooters. Shots just weren’t falling for Burg either.
Yaba getting butt hurt when Burg gets beat by the better team. Tickles my reading on a Sunday morning. Nothing new here

CavalierAlum05
Varsity

Post by CavalierAlum05 »

David Dennis is one of the best coaches in Ohio.
Ive been to his summer camps and even helped out once years ago. It’s not simply better athletes. He gets the best out of everyone. He runs a very good program.

HamPorter
All Conference

Post by HamPorter »

Browns30 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:04 am The only disrespect I felt I saw from either side was when the HP adults were booing the Wheelersburg starters and yelling things such as “air ball”. The student sections do it all the time and that’s fine, but I don’t think I have ever seen it from the adult fans. Not very classy at all.
:roll: I’m sure you’ve never heard an adult yell airball. There’s a pretty prominent fan in the SOC II that screams at players the entire game, so I guarantee you’ve seen it.

HamPorter
All Conference

Post by HamPorter »

CavalierAlum05 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:45 am David Dennis is one of the best coaches in Ohio.
Ive been to his summer camps and even helped out once years ago. It’s not simply better athletes. He gets the best out of everyone. He runs a very good program.
I agree that he’s a really good coach. It sounds like he should get better help for his camps though ;)

CavalierAlum05
Varsity

Post by CavalierAlum05 »

HamPorter wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:19 am
CavalierAlum05 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:45 am David Dennis is one of the best coaches in Ohio.
I agree that he’s a really good coach. It sounds like he should get better help for his camps though ;)
Lol Zing!

They were runner up that year :lol:

Return to “Boys Basketball”