SEOP

Re: Regional Final: Wheelersburg vs Harvest Prep

Post by fbnut »

The updates in the thread above had them scoreless in the 2nd

Wburgfan
Waterboy

Post by Wburgfan »

HP was held scoreless the second quarter. This was a very strange quarter which had Prep holding the ball in the 4 corner offense. Took themselves out of rhythm and allowed Burg to get back in the game. I think in the 4th Burg was down and took too many outside shots rather than getting to the paint and moving the ball as they did in the 3rd. After that it was too far and they had to shoot 3s to get back in it.

All in all Burg was right there and just couldn’t get some shots to fall and Prep was able to get to the hoop and to the foul line.

For the senior of Burg, what can you say. This group has been awesome. They are going to be missed for sure.

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

scott1297 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:47 pm
baseball16 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:25 pm
scott1297 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:15 pm
HP HAD 2 points in the 2nd quarter
21 - 12 after 1
21-18 at the half. That adds up to HP not scoring in the 2nd qtr!
It was 19 to 11 at the end of the 1st
We had 21-12 after 1.

21-18 at half. Pfloyd and I both had that score line.

Beavers scored at 1:45 of first quarter to make it 21-11

Holden split 2 FTs at :15 to make 21-12. End of 1.

Burg actually held Prep Scoreless the last 9:45 of the First half. Pretty impressive.

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
Bobbbbbb
Freshman Team

Post by Bobbbbbb »

WOW! Hey Loser6309 why don't you go back over on yappi and start another thread about Burg! HAHAHAHA, dude you got an unhealthy hate obsession with the Pirates!Crybaby!
Last edited by Bobbbbbb on Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

baseball16 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:08 pm What happened to McCorkle in the 2nd half? Thought he gave them good minutes in the 1st half and gave them that extra inside presence. He played the 2nd qtr and HP did not score. I know it wasn't all him but he gave them good minutes.
Was wondering the same thing. Prep really struggled on offense when McCorkle was on the floor with Holden. Understand the need for offense, but Burg was back in the game and the pace had slowed to a grinding halt (in Burg’s favor). I would’ve went with T. Salyers, Mullins, Truitt, Holden and McCorkle in crunch time.

Either way, great effort and great season for the Pirates. Just couldn’t get the shots to fall and get over the hump at the end of the 3rd quarter/beginning of 4th quarter.*

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

smurray wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:50 pm
yabbadabbadoo wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:34 pm
smurray wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:16 pm HP holds the Pirates to 38. Contained Holden enough and didn’t let anyone else beat them from the way it sounded.
Obviously you weren’t there so you don’t have a clue what the hell you are talking about.

Burgs long range shooting wasn’t there again and it had nothing to do with HP’s defense. Burg hits half the 3’s they missed they win this game.

Holden led all scorers with 22. Think he should have taken the big man to the hole all night but I’m not the coach. He was still the best player on the floor. Anthony for them will be a force next year. They’ll just have to bring in some more players to go with him. 😱😱
Nope, I wasnt there, thus the reason for saying “from the way it sounded”. I guess you were there all the more reason to say I didn’t have a clue what I was talking about. I’m glad it was all Wheelersburgh’s fault for losing and nothing to do with who they played. Why were they bombing so many threes instead of letting Holden take it to the hole? Just a question, I wasnt there.

Every time Holden went to the hole, 2-3 guys would collapse on him and he was doing the smart thing, not forcing shots and kicking it back out for wide open 3's. They just weren't falling. 35 couldn't guard him by himself. He had to have help. HP didn't let him go one on one like they did last year and it worked. Tanner was still the leading scorer in the game with 22.

Good question about McCorkle. He played well when he was in there. Gave Burg another big in the paint. That one play HP had 3 misses and 3 offensive rebounds. Might have been different had Burg had another big in the paint.

Also, why not put in Justin Salyers to shoot some 3's. Could of possibly hit a few. He never even saw the floor the last two games. Don't understand that one

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Raider6309 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:40 pm #35 for Prep was the MVP of this game. Prep struggled to shoot and his defense on Holden was huge. He and Holden both had 14 before the game got out of reach. Never would have thought a kid 6'5 300 pounds could be that quick
You are such a clueless clown. 35 did not stop Holden on his own. Each time Tanner went to the hole 2-3 of them were there in the lane to defend him. One on one Tanner took him to the hole at ease. Tanner did what he had to do, he kicked it out to wide open shooters. They either didn't shoot or missed.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

scott1297 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:18 pm It was a 4 point game with a little over 5 minutes to go in the 4th quarter then Burg went cold but it was a hell of an effort by Burg they had a chance to win it . Congrats BURG on a great season and good luck to prep the rest of the way
Big plays in the game was when Burg was down 32-29 and had two wide open 3's that just wouldn't fall. After that HP went on a 20-9 run to end the game. I think if Burg gets the lead there they might have hung tough with them but we will never know.

Great season anyways by the Burg. Best record, 26-1 in the history of the program.

OSU Alumni 2000
Riding the Bench

Post by OSU Alumni 2000 »

One thing that baffles me is why did prep take the air out of the ball in the 2nd quarter especially after putting up 21 in the first?

OSU Alumni 2000
Riding the Bench

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:26 pm
Raider6309 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:40 pm #35 for Prep was the MVP of this game. Prep struggled to shoot and his defense on Holden was huge. He and Holden both had 14 before the game got out of reach. Never would have thought a kid 6'5 300 pounds could be that quick
You are such a clueless clown. 35 did not stop Holden on his own. Each time Tanner went to the hole 2-3 of them were there in the lane to defend him. One on one Tanner took him to the hole at ease. Tanner did what he had to do, he kicked it out to wide open shooters. They either didn't shoot or missed.
I thought #35 did a fine job on Holden.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

OSU Alumni 2000 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:41 pm
He did to an extent. He had help every time Tanner drove to the paint. Last year they didn't do that. Tanner kicked it out but the shots weren't falling.

Was 35 even on the roster for them last year or is he a new recruit for this year? I don't remember him playing

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

OSU Alumni 2000 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:36 pm One thing that baffles me is why did prep take the air out of the ball in the 2nd quarter especially after putting up 21 in the first?
Not sure either. I'm sure they've seen a zone or two this year. They don't shoot as well from the outside as they did last year. They missed all 10 shots in the second qtr.

OSU Alumni 2000
Riding the Bench

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:44 pm

He did to an extent. He had help every time Tanner drove to the paint. Last year they didn't do that. Tanner kicked it out but the shots weren't falling.

Was 35 even on the roster for them last year or is he a new recruit for this year? I don't remember him playing
I believe he was there. Just didn’t see the playing time like he did this year. But he was definitely a difference maker. Super quick, and had the ability to knock down the long ball. Overall a solid player

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Did anyone get a picture of the difference in the crowds?

I would have thought the OHSAA would have liked to seen that Burg crowd in Columbus next week.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:44 pm

I think he was on the roster last year, but they had a 6'7" kid who was one of there better players that started at center. I forget where he was going to go to school, but he was a pretty good player.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

He must have really improved from last year because they went about 10-11 deep and I don't remember him playing. He had some quick feet.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

scott1297 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:15 pm
greygoose wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:49 pm Burg got the game they needed from prep but just unable to pull it out. Prep didn't score in the 2nd and burg only put up 6 you can't do that with superior teams. Burg had a great season and those seniors should be proud of their accomplishments.
HP HAD 2 points in the 2nd quarter
No they didn't, and burg only scored 6. Multiple post and the radio, even with their halftime recap said zero. Even if they had 2 everything I said would be true, they gave burg the opening in that quarter.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

He was definitely the difference maker to keep Holden in check. HP couldn’t shoot today so that was big.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

That second quarter was bizarre. Harvest Prep was clearly in complete control playing uptempo and for some reason they slowed it down.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Raider6309 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:12 pm He was definitely the difference maker to keep Holden in check. HP couldn’t shoot today so that was big.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Holden was only 5 off of his avearage. When he drove the lane he had 2-3 players around him. Instead of forcing the shot he kicked it out to wide open shooters. Shots just weren’t falling for Burg either.

Return to “Boys Basketball”