No more championship Saturday?

Pol pot
SE

Re: No more championship Saturday?

Post by Pol pot »

93Bulldog wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:50 am I'm not sure it will help - or hurt actually - in terms of attendance.

Fans of each team will show up regardless what day or time it is. That's a given.
But some of your pure basketball fans in and around southeast Ohio are not going to drive to Athens three different days.
What is going to hurt worse than anything is the days in which the games are on. The Thursday DIV games will be lucky to fill the lower bowl. The Friday DIII games should draw an ok crowd. Sunday DII? That is going to be interesting. Could go wither way, but it won't draw as big of crowd if it was Friday night like its been the last few years.
Can you use your influence to ask OHIO University to drop their team sports and then you can have all the games you want on any day that best suits you.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

93Bulldog wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:54 am
socfan wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:15 am Reason for the split of the the District Championship Games is because Ohio University has a home Women's Basketball game at 1:00p on Saturday 3/9.
No, that has happened before.

D2 games were Friday night.
D3 and D4 all day Sunday.

Check the OHIO University schedule....Post as an informed person.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

FANOSPORTS wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:32 pm The Regionals are even worse. If anyone wants to take in all the games at the Convo nowadays they would have to travel Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and also Saturday with that being 2 different paying sessions @ 3 and 7. In all a person would be paying for 6 tickets, 5 parking fees along with travel time and gas for 5 days let alone having 5 free days in a row to do this. I figured a total cost of a little over $200 , 13 or 14 hours driving back & forth (approx. 800 miles total) and 5 days of free time for myself driving from Columbus. I love my high school sports and tourneys but this is a little much for this casual fan and longtime tourney goer. :(
Regionals have always been set in this manner. Going back 40 years! No different in this set up over the years.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

FANOSPORTS wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:15 pm
Flyers58 wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:52 am It is called the almighty dollar.............
The all day was a treat for many years down there where a few of us old friends that were and are still scattered around the state or region could get together, watch games, get a bite to eat, drink and reminisce and watch basketball games all day long . What seemed to be a good thing has fallen apart the last few years, as even with paying for split sessions wasn't enough later it's now all screwed up as Flyers58 said for the almighty dollar. With that being said, another tradition bit the dust. :(
Can you base anything here on facts? Maybe you can call Jim Schaus and ask them to move the OHIO home contest? I'll be waiting on you to show proof that any of this is about the money!

HamPorter
All Conference

Post by HamPorter »

My favorite time of the year is when pol pot shuts down the uninformed on here. I sit back and enjoy it every time

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Pol pot wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:02 am
93Bulldog wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:50 am I'm not sure it will help - or hurt actually - in terms of attendance.

Fans of each team will show up regardless what day or time it is. That's a given.
But some of your pure basketball fans in and around southeast Ohio are not going to drive to Athens three different days.
What is going to hurt worse than anything is the days in which the games are on. The Thursday DIV games will be lucky to fill the lower bowl. The Friday DIII games should draw an ok crowd. Sunday DII? That is going to be interesting. Could go wither way, but it won't draw as big of crowd if it was Friday night like its been the last few years.
Can you use your influence to ask OHIO University to drop their team sports and then you can have all the games you want on any day that best suits you.
Calm down Pol Pot ... lol
Nobody was/is complaining.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

"It is called the almighty dollar............."

Nope, that's not a complaint at all! Just an actual untrue statement to the facts. You questioning why the set up is the way it's set up is also a complaint.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

My original post

I remember once upon a time you drove to the Convo about 10AM and could watch all the best teams square off in a full day of championship basketball. D2 district title game at noon, DIV at 2:00 and 4:00, and then the D3 teams capped it off at 6:00 and 8:00.

This year you will see all the district championship games spread out over three days.

DIV will take place March 7th
DIII finals are March 9th
DII finals are the 10th

* That is not a complaint. Just posting how cool it use to be to watch all the title games in one day.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Pol pot wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:03 am
socfan wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:15 am Reason for the split of the the District Championship Games is because Ohio University has a home Women's Basketball game at 1:00p on Saturday 3/9.

If you would have taken the time to read the very next post you'd have seen that I corrected myself after getting the proper information. haha

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

93Bulldog wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:37 am
Pol pot wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:03 am

If you would have taken the time to read the very next post you'd have seen that I corrected myself after getting the proper information. haha
corrected yourself, but left the same misinformation posted. How bout you delete the wrong stuff, or better yet check the information before you even post it? In today's world, it's really easy to check facts. Start here every year ohiobobcats.com you can set tournament dates around the OHIO University schedule. :30 and you would have seen WHY the schedule is set up the way it is. Then you would not have people following up your misinformation with BS like it's all about the money! The SE District is the ONLY District that holds tournaments (all of them) on a DI college campus in a DI facility. It is also the only one of 6 districts that has combined sessions where you get multiple games for one ticket! Yet, every year someone post something that is in inaccurate and that causes problems. I'd like to be able to give you a dollar for every time someone post a rumor on here about the tournaments and that causes someone to make a phone call to complain to either OHIO Athletics or to others and it creates a problem that people have to deal with. It gets very old! I found this post because I got no less than 10 calls in the past two days complaining about this. That's how I like to spend my time!!!! Again, finding the proper information is not hard in today's world.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I don't have the power to delete a topic
I can delete my post and lock the topic.

Return to “Boys Basketball”