Wheelersburg @ Waverly, Friday, 2/1/19

footballelite
Riding the Bench

Re: Wheelersburg @ Waverly, Friday, 2/1/19

Post by footballelite »

I see this being a very close game in a hostile environment.

Lightle04
SE

Post by Lightle04 »

I think Waverly understands Holden can’t be stopped he’s a different level athlete. They need to try to contain the other players Burg has. Which is no easy task in its self. Waverly has to rebound,rebound,rebound!! If they can control the boards they can then dictate pace of play. The second chance points Burg gets will be critical for Waverly.

Ed Ott
Varsity

Post by Ed Ott »

Holden will get 2 fouls early and then get two more in the 3rd and Waverly will be amped up and on fire.

Waverly 63
Da Burg 51

MasterOfNone
All Conference

Post by MasterOfNone »

Hopefully the weather allows this game to be played. Think it's a long shot it gets cancelled but they are calling for snow Friday. Anyone know each schools policy on if school gets cancelled can they still play?

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

MasterOfNone wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:42 pm Hopefully the weather allows this game to be played. Think it's a long shot it gets cancelled but they are calling for snow Friday. Anyone know each schools policy on if school gets cancelled can they still play?
They can still play if it’s a school cancellation because of early morning roads but cleared by afternoon.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

I’d play an extended 1-3-1 zone against waverly with Holden out top and have emphasis on where Robertson is. After every shot, I’d release Holden.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

wobycat wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:44 pm I’d play an extended 1-3-1 zone against waverly with Holden out top and have emphasis on where Robertson is. After every shot, I’d release Holden.
If Robertson hits some shots and scores 12-16 I’m good with that...I’m not trying to keep Trey under 6-8 points and let Marquez have open shots or even Remington.

Burg should be fine defensively. Limit Remington’s easy looks on drives and contest the 3’s. Burg’s “others” are very good. Burg way more firepower IMO but being in the road I imagine those Burg shooters won’t be as sharp and foul trouble always must be a thought.

Should be the best game atmosphere around on Friday

Kicker.
All Conference

Post by Kicker. »

honestly I’d let Holden get his I wouldn’t try and focus on him, try to get him foul trouble early and make sure none of his supporting cast hits big shots, also Waverly needs to play lights out for this game too

A Kicker of various balls. Trust The Process
smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

It's no secret Waverly must play their best game of the year. Holden will get his but you cant let him go off for 50 either. If Holden is at 25 and the Tigers do a good job on the supporting cast they will have a chance - providing the Tigers are knocking down shots and FT's. If called tightly this one could be a FT shooting contest because it will be physical.

Pinky

Post by Pinky »

No answer for Holden not to mention burg has five kids that can hit shots Waverly only has two consistent scores I'm Robertson and Remington although Waverly can cause some turnover,my guess is still Burg by double digits and Holden with 28

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

In the first contest, Waverly tried 3 different players guarding Holden and I am pretty sure all 3 had 2 fouls each by halftime. I think the strategy was to make him score from the line. The only problem is that Holden is shooting around 75-80% from the line this year. Waverly will have to try and slow down the game to stay in it. Not many teams are comfortable or capable of scoring 75, but that is Burg's average.

Vik
JV Team

Post by Vik »

Waverly 58
Wheelersburg 48

Burg is overrated and it will show

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

I honestly did not see the Wheelersburg kids talking trash against my Trojans.

Waverly can win this game.......I saw the first game between the Tigers and Pirates, and those T's on Waverly with the Burg only having a 3 point lead at the time completely turned the momentum in favor of WHS. Very untimely T's just when the Tigers made a furious comeback.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

trojandave wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:52 pm I honestly did not see the Wheelersburg kids talking trash against my Trojans.

Waverly can win this game.......I saw the first game between the Tigers and Pirates, and those T's on Waverly with the Burg only having a 3 point lead at the time completely turned the momentum in favor of WHS. Very untimely T's just when the Tigers made a furious comeback.
I didn’t see any trash talking against Jackson either.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Ironman92 wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:22 pm
trojandave wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:52 pm I honestly did not see the Wheelersburg kids talking trash against my Trojans.

I didn’t see any trash talking against Jackson either.
The trash talking has been taken care of!

Don't see anyone holding Burg to 48 points. Read a few post on here that Waverly has improved since that first matchup, well guess what? So has Burg!!!! Burg didn't get out and run against Waverly the first time around. Look for Burg to go up tempo from the start. Burg is going about 8 deep right now. They have the horses to run!!!

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Vik wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:27 pm Waverly 58
Wheelersburg 48

Burg is overrated and it will show
Did you really say to a team that hasn’t lost a game the entire year, overrated? I wonder who you think isn’t overrated? Lol

Vik
JV Team

Post by Vik »

South Point, Oak Hill, Portsmouth all kept it pretty close.

Waverly playing really well. No way are they a top 5 division 3 team

Waverly will win this at Waverly.

ItsMyOpinion
Varsity

Post by ItsMyOpinion »

This game will be 15+ Points. Wheelersburg’s length in their Press will cause Waverly problems. Also their switching man-to-man defense will keep Waverly in front of them and cause all kind of problems for Waverly’s offense. Waverly’s pressure will slow Wheelersburg down a little but not nearly enough.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

ItsMyOpinion wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:23 pm This game will be 15+ Points. Wheelersburg’s length in their Press will cause Waverly problems. Also their switching man-to-man defense will keep Waverly in front of them and cause all kind of problems for Waverly’s offense. Waverly’s pressure will slow Wheelersburg down a little but not nearly enough.
Remington and Robertson not an easy duo to press

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Vik wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:53 pm South Point, Oak Hill, Portsmouth all kept it pretty close.

Waverly playing really well. No way are they a top 5 division 3 team

Waverly will win this at Waverly.
They won all three of those games by 10 or more points. I still fail to see how that makes them overrated. Even if waverly beats them at waverly, they will still not be overrated. If the officials call a consistent game, burg will win.

Return to “Boys Basketball”