Re: Next Coach at Logan?

Post by Logangrad »

Locos that’s why I called it “scuttlebutt” lol

Live Like A Champion!
55buckeyes98
All Conference

Post by 55buckeyes98 »

The assistant at Johnstown interviewed when this came open last time. I think he felt he was only interviewed because they thought he was the head coach at Johnstown. I don't think he applied, his son is in 4th grade now and too involved now with the youth league and coaching his son and his current friends to leave now. When the job came open first time his son had not started school yet and he was looking for a job due to getting his masters in school counseling and job insecurity at Licking Heights. I think he is happy with his current job in Columbus City and coaching at Johnstown with his uncle, who is the head coach. The head coach at Johnstown has no plans of leaving anytime soon. He is not too far away from retiring from teaching, but not coaching. That's what I "hear" lol

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

55buckeyes98 wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:30 pm The assistant at Johnstown interviewed when this came open last time. I think he felt he was only interviewed because they thought he was the head coach at Johnstown. I don't think he applied, his son is in 4th grade now and too involved now with the youth league and coaching his son and his current friends to leave now. When the job came open first time his son had not started school yet and he was looking for a job due to getting his masters in school counseling and job insecurity at Licking Heights. I think he is happy with his current job in Columbus City and coaching at Johnstown with his uncle, who is the head coach. The head coach at Johnstown has no plans of leaving anytime soon. He is not too far away from retiring from teaching, but not coaching. That's what I "hear" lol
:D

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
teach1coach2
All State

Post by teach1coach2 »

In 2004 Tri-Valley was hunting for a new head football coach. It was a program that seldom had any success. After weeks of hunting for a coach they narrowed it to 3 candidates. The superintendent then took a step back and decided none of the 3 were really what the school needed. He reposted the job and started calling all the successful veteran football coaches in the area asking if they knew of any young guys who had no varsity coaching experience but have the potential to be a successful coach and build a program from the ground up. Coach Ifft at Dover told the supt. that an asst. that left Dover to become the defensive coordinator at Hillard Davidson a couple years back would be the type of guy he was hunting for. Supt. Doug Spade called Justin Buttermore and asked him to apply. He applied, met with committee, was offered the job and accepted it. The rest is history. A very successful 14 year history. Sometimes, someone just has to have the drive to do what it takes to find the best coach out there. Most just accept the best of what applies.

Chief02
Varsity

Post by Chief02 »

teach1coach2 wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:20 pm In 2004 Tri-Valley was hunting for a new head football coach. It was a program that seldom had any success. After weeks of hunting for a coach they narrowed it to 3 candidates. The superintendent then took a step back and decided none of the 3 were really what the school needed. He reposted the job and started calling all the successful veteran football coaches in the area asking if they knew of any young guys who had no varsity coaching experience but have the potential to be a successful coach and build a program from the ground up. Coach Ifft at Dover told the supt. that an asst. that left Dover to become the defensive coordinator at Hillard Davidson a couple years back would be the type of guy he was hunting for. Supt. Doug Spade called Justin Buttermore and asked him to apply. He applied, met with committee, was offered the job and accepted it. The rest is history. A very successful 14 year history. Sometimes, someone just has to have the drive to do what it takes to find the best coach out there. Most just accept the best of what applies.
Amen! Logan needs to take that approach. If you think the coach has what it takes, regardless of varsity experience, take the chance. You can’t really be any worse than what we have been.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Always surprised Logan never went after Penrod. That was pretty stupid. When he was at Alexander that would have been an easy hire but now he’s 100% Gallia

ravensfan09
JV Team

Post by ravensfan09 »

Raider6309 wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:38 pm Always surprised Logan never went after Penrod. That was pretty stupid. When he was at Alexander that would have been an easy hire but now he’s 100% Gallia
Coach Penrod would have been excellent hire for Logan, but I agree hes probably all in at Gallipolis.

55buckeyes98
All Conference

Post by 55buckeyes98 »

At this point who were some of the other candidates they overlooked that maybe could have done a better job?

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

Don't know any names but the last I heard the list was down to 7.

AT THE RESERVATION
loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

teach1coach2 wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:20 pm In 2004 Tri-Valley was hunting for a new head football coach. It was a program that seldom had any success. After weeks of hunting for a coach they narrowed it to 3 candidates. The superintendent then took a step back and decided none of the 3 were really what the school needed. He reposted the job and started calling all the successful veteran football coaches in the area asking if they knew of any young guys who had no varsity coaching experience but have the potential to be a successful coach and build a program from the ground up. Coach Ifft at Dover told the supt. that an asst. that left Dover to become the defensive coordinator at Hillard Davidson a couple years back would be the type of guy he was hunting for. Supt. Doug Spade called Justin Buttermore and asked him to apply. He applied, met with committee, was offered the job and accepted it. The rest is history. A very successful 14 year history. Sometimes, someone just has to have the drive to do what it takes to find the best coach out there. Most just accept the best of what applies.
This is a great story.

Logan's admin has definitely talked with area coaches - looking for someone who has the potential to be a game changer the way someone like Buttermore or Penrod have been at TV/Alex/Gallia/Granville. But let's be honest - it still takes some luck. A lot of schools think they have hired "that guy" - and they don't work out. Not every risk becomes a Justin Buttermore.

I don't believe Logan has stuck solely to the candidates who applied. I think they've gone out looking for the right person.

In reality - a lack of league and thus control over the schedule is going to be a major hurdle.

Still, I am optimistic about a couple of names I have heard. We'll have to wait and see.

Chief02
Varsity

Post by Chief02 »

loganlocos wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:10 am
This is a great story.

Logan's admin has definitely talked with area coaches - looking for someone who has the potential to be a game changer the way someone like Buttermore or Penrod have been at TV/Alex/Gallia/Granville. But let's be honest - it still takes some luck. A lot of schools think they have hired "that guy" - and they don't work out. Not every risk becomes a Justin Buttermore.

I don't believe Logan has stuck solely to the candidates who applied. I think they've gone out looking for the right person.

In reality - a lack of league and thus control over the schedule is going to be a major hurdle.

Still, I am optimistic about a couple of names I have heard. We'll have to wait and see.
Good info Locos. Hopefully their efforts result in a solid selection.

koondoger
JV Team

Post by koondoger »

This is a great story.

A quick call to the "interim" AD at NY was all that was needed. He certainly knows the right guy for the job. If you know what I mean wink, wink... :mrgreen:

Retirement life is the greatest! That's how teh koondoger sees it! Selling cars ain't too bad neither. :mrgreen:
ravensfan09
JV Team

Post by ravensfan09 »

I dont think you could pry the coach you are referring to out of retirement!! No way!!!

Ground Buck
All Conference

Post by Ground Buck »

koondoger wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:29 am
This is a great story.

A quick call to the "interim" AD at NY was all that was needed. He certainly knows the right guy for the job. If you know what I mean wink, wink... :mrgreen:
A little off topic, but Koondoger I think you should apply for he VC HFC job. I've heard the two main attributes they're looking for are:

1. A catchy nickname- What better nickname is there than "Koondoger"?

2. A "proven winner"- Didn't you recently say you've won a state championship?

So, you should be a shoe-in for he job. :mrgreen:

Disclaimer: This is all an opinion and I am therefore hoping we can still express opinions on this site without retort.
Zaphod_Beeblebrox
Waterboy

Post by Zaphod_Beeblebrox »

I am curious about the Nickname Joke for VC head coaches, how did this start?

“Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.”
Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Zaphod_Beeblebrox wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:05 pm I am curious about the Nickname Joke for VC head coaches, how did this start?
It just a joke some people from Nelsonville like to talk about. It’s been around a few years now. I think it’s a way of getting back at VC since NY has dropped 2 of the last 4 to the Vikings.

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

Jeff Downs available after being released by VC.
He was
6-4
8-2 playoffs
3-7
5-5
4-6

Fairly successful at a school who had been sputtering since Matt queen was fired

Zaphod_Beeblebrox
Waterboy

Post by Zaphod_Beeblebrox »

Dundas wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:07 pm
Zaphod_Beeblebrox wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:05 pm I am curious about the Nickname Joke for VC head coaches, how did this start?
It just a joke some people from Nelsonville like to talk about. It’s been around a few years now. I think it’s a way of getting back at VC since NY has dropped 2 of the last 4 to the Vikings.
I see :lol: :lol: :lol:

“Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.”
Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Poo Bear wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:24 pm Jeff Downs available after being released by VC.
He was
6-4
8-2 playoffs
3-7
5-5
4-6

Fairly successful at a school who had been sputtering since Matt queen was fired
Really poo? Really?? Smh

Chief02
Varsity

Post by Chief02 »

Dundas wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:54 am
Poo Bear wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:24 pm Jeff Downs available after being released by VC.
He was
6-4
8-2 playoffs
3-7
5-5
4-6

Really poo? Really?? Smh
No thanks Poo

Return to “Football”