Burg 0-0 @ 3-0 oakhill

art_vandelay
SE

Re: Burg 0-0 @ 3-0 oakhill

Post by art_vandelay »

I normally don't get too worked up over these matters, but assuming what being said on here is true, the t-shirt in warmups and showing-up of other teams are issues that have to be addressed by Ater. I get what spider2banana saying in that things are different now, but there's still a point where the coach has to step in and remind the players who is in charge regardless of the end result. Worst case, player quits. Do nothing, and coach is a chump in the eyes of his players.*

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

I was not at the game so I can't speak directly on all things being discussed......... But, the young man wearing his college shirt the entire warmups is flat out ridiculous. This isn't AAU. You play for WHEELERSBURG.

Also, did the young man being questioned also receive a technical last night? If so, does Ater punish kids who receive technicals? A lot of the old school coaches will make them run or something along those lines, does he have a rule in place for that? How many technicals did the young man receive last year?

Great player, generational type talent for this area really. Hope he can clean up his attitude going forward, because while it may not effect his ability at this level where he drastically exceeds everyone's talent and ability --- it could absolutely effect his development at the next level.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

art_vandelay wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:57 pm I normally don't get too worked up over these matters, but assuming what being said on here is true, the t-shirt in warmups and showing-up of other teams are issues that have to be addressed by Ater. I get what spider2banana saying in that things are different now, but there's still a point where the coach has to step in and remind the players who is in charge regardless of the end result. Worst case, player quits. Do nothing, and coach is a chump in the eyes of his players.*
Would you have a problem with him wearing the shirt if he asked his coach and teammates if he could? He just recently signed and probably was excited about it. Let's not jump to conclusions just yet.

But His play on the court demonstrates that he is a pretty good teammate that passes and encourages his other teammates. His attitude with officials is on him but he gets a bunch of crap from other fans. I have witnessed it many times.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

wobycat wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:02 pm
art_vandelay wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:57 pm I normally don't get too worked up over these matters, but assuming what being said on here is true, the t-shirt in warmups and showing-up of other teams are issues that have to be addressed by Ater. I get what spider2banana saying in that things are different now, but there's still a point where the coach has to step in and remind the players who is in charge regardless of the end result. Worst case, player quits. Do nothing, and coach is a chump in the eyes of his players.*
Would you have a problem with him wearing the shirt if he asked his coach and teammates if he could? He just recently signed and probably was excited about it. Let's not jump to conclusions just yet.

But His play on the court demonstrates that he is a pretty good teammate that passes and encourages his other teammates. His attitude with officials is on him but he gets a bunch of crap from other fans. I have witnessed it many times.
But why even ask your teammates that? That's great that he's excited. However, we're in the social media area. 95% of the people in that gym already knew that he has committed to Wright State. Obviously, all of his teammates and coaches did too. So what would be the actual point in wearing that during warmups? Because he's excited? Come on, don't drink the kool-aid.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
Vito Corleone
Freshman Team

Post by Vito Corleone »

I don't remember Andrew Burleson doing that when he signed with Wright State. I don't remember Drew Spradlin do that when he signed to play at Elon.

Making offers you can't refuse
Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

wobycat wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:50 pm
Crab's Brother wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:44 am
wobycat wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:48 am

Yeah, I have never seen other SOC team's kids show any emotion. They play with the upmost respect and sportsmanship.

:roll: It's only magnified 1000 percent because it's burg.

They are 16-18 year old kids. Who cares if they get emotional? Oak hill played a dirty game last night. I mean the Darby kid flat knocked Truitt kid straight in the nose, probably broke it and you don't think that kids aren't going to respond to that? Norm Persin about ate Ater's head off in the 3rd QTR. SMH.Yet at the end, both teams shook hands and it was over.
Woby,

You have always been one of the more level headed posters on here but I guess you and I won't agree on this one.

I have seen teams everywhere play with tons of emotion. Last night wasn't that. It was kids constantly talking and showing up their opponents. That was not the Burg that I grew up playing against. There was no celebration with teammates. It was all "look at me". If you don't see it, you don't. But this has nothing to do with it being "magnified 1000 percent because it was Burg".
All I know is that the Oak Hill players weren't playing a straight up game. Watched many unnoticed things go down by the oak hill players that aren't talked about on here. There were two intentional fouls on oak hill. One during the jv and one during varsity. Holden plays with an attitude, I will give you that, but after the game, he turns it off. The kid is a good student off the court. Maybe he was proud of the wright state shirt he wore since he just recently signed, and maybe he asked the coach and players if he could wear it.

Whoa....Hold on.

I was not there before the game and had no idea about the shirt. My post had absolutely zero to do with Tanner. I felt like he was just fine during the time I was there. I know he was T'd as we were walking out but I have no idea what was said there or what happened.

My post referred more to a couple of other players. Mainly two younger players who never stopped chirping the entire time I was there. It was ridiculous. I know that Tanner plays with an attitude. I feel a lot of that has to do with what is said to him. Believe me, there is nothing being said to these other players that should have them acting like they were.

I just felt it was a poor look for Wheelersburg basketball.

burgpirater
Riding the Bench

Post by burgpirater »

Crab's Brother wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:12 pm

Whoa....Hold on.

I was not there before the game and had no idea about the shirt. My post had absolutely zero to do with Tanner. I felt like he was just fine during the time I was there. I know he was T'd as we were walking out but I have no idea what was said there or what happened.

My post referred more to a couple of other players. Mainly two younger players who never stopped chirping the entire time I was there. It was ridiculous. I know that Tanner plays with an attitude. I feel a lot of that has to do with what is said to him. Believe me, there is nothing being said to these other players that should have them acting like they were.

I just felt it was a poor look for Wheelersburg basketball.
sadly I know exactly who ur talking about. I watched him in junior high when he was at webster and he never acted like that he never said a word, heck ive talked to his dad and he hardly ever says a word either. But ever since hes been here at the burg he suddenly talks the entire game. Really good player glad hes here but man he needs to keep that jaw shut and just beat players on the floor. Not sure what made him start talking like that but i noticed it last year and after last night it already looks even worse

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

wobycat: no problem with the kid being proud of his college choice (as he should be), but there a time/place to rep his college. Call me old school, but on the floor during warmups of his high school game not the time/place for it (should be repping Burg there imo). With that being said, if kid has permission to do so, more power to him. It's then on the coaching staff for opening up a can of worms that'll be a season-long issue when other players expect the same type of treatment.*

D4hero
Freshman Team

Post by D4hero »

art_vandelay wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:18 pm wobycat: no problem with the kid being proud of his college choice (as he should be), but there a time/place to rep his college. Call me old school, but on the floor during warmups of his high school game not the time/place for it (should be repping Burg there imo). With that being said, if kid has permission to do so, more power to him. It's then on the coaching staff for opening up a can of worms that'll be a season-long issue when other players expect the same type of treatment.*
If Salyers commits to a D3 football school during basketball season then he now has the right to wear that colleges shirt during warmups right? That's the precedent Burg has set here. Say he commits to Wittenberg or something, Burg has now set the standard that he can wear a Wittenberg shirt for warmups going forward.

Heck I sure hope another player doesn't receive an academic scholarship somewhere because they also have the right to wear that college's shirt in warmups too!

baseball16
All Conference

Post by baseball16 »

Again, if the coach doesn't address it, which looks like he will not, then an administrator that has a pirate on his/her paycheck should! Again, JMO.

SOC94
Freshman Team

Post by SOC94 »

I agree that he should never have wore the wright state shirt during warm ups. You play for Wheelersburg...take pride in that bc you won’t play for them forever. As for Oak Hill playing dirty? I would love to know how? They played hard last night, really hard. To say they are dirty will not fly with me because Norm would simply not allow it. Norm too ater to shut the Pruitt kid up bc again look at all the extra antics that the burg players did after every shot, steal, etc... I’m old school as hell but the showboating and trash talk are excessive. It’s a rivalry I know and as much hate I had for burg when I played them, I always respected them and what they stood for. I played when Barrick was still there and I know there’s no way any of the stuff the Holden and Pruitt kid, hell the whole team did last night would fly on any of those teams. Win with class, lose with class. Respect the game and the name on the front of your jersey.

BurgBaskets
Riding the Bench

Post by BurgBaskets »

I got in there late, almost tip off... I walked in and thot that i was at the North South College All Star game or something...Saw a player with A Wright State Jersuy on. Burg is really good and i hope the coach will do try to do his job better and help with getting this team reigned in

spider2Ybanana
JV Team

Post by spider2Ybanana »

Okay this has gone too far. Most people on here don't know the players personally and have no idea what kind of kids they are. One game into the season and there are already "issues" with attitudes and discipline and everything else. Let the kids play, jeez. And don't get me started on players "talking" during the game. I've been a decade removed from HS sports but I'll tell you right now, this is apart of the game. The mental aspects of getting in the other teams head. Some of the best players have talked the most smack. It's apart of all sports. Get over it, or get your feelings hurt.

BurgBuckeye
Freshman Team

Post by BurgBuckeye »

transplant wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:25 pm was this during team warm ups right before the game? or during "shoot around" before the jv game?
Please tell me this isn't true.... as a Burg alum and huge fan that's embarrassing, but not surprising.

It doesn't matter if it was just in the stands for the JV game or all the way up through the National Anthem, that's ridiculous.

And im seeing a lot of blame thrown towards parents, 99% of the time I would agree, people suck as parents now days. But this particular individuals parents are the nicest, most genuine, classy, respectful, successful and humble people in Scioto county. I'm blown away by embarrassment every time I watch him. He's way too athletic to act like that.

I wish everyone could play for the Baseball Estep!! You acted like that or even thought about disrespecting an opponents players/coaches/parents/fans, umps/refs, fellow teammates, fans/parents, bus driver, restaurant employee, hotel employee, FREAKIN ANYONEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE you got your block absolutely knocked off and ran till your a$$ was dragging the ground. (OK, not literally hit for all you snowflakes out there). but that's where the parents come into it, a coach now days does that and they get jumped by parents and fired. excuse my language but pu$$y a$$ parents raising pu$$y a$$ kids.

GO BUCKEYES!
SOC94
Freshman Team

Post by SOC94 »

Talking smack has always been apart of the game but when it starts to become a distraction it becomes excessive. That’s all I’m saying.

SOC94
Freshman Team

Post by SOC94 »

BurgBuckeye wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:33 pm
transplant wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:25 pm was this during team warm ups right before the game? or during "shoot around" before the jv game?
Please tell me this isn't true.... as a Burg alum and huge fan that's embarrassing, but not surprising.

It doesn't matter if it was just in the stands for the JV game or all the way up through the National Anthem, that's ridiculous.

And im seeing a lot of blame thrown towards parents, 99% of the time I would agree, people suck as parents now days. But this particular individuals parents are the nicest, most genuine, classy, respectful, successful and humble people in Scioto county. I'm blown away by embarrassment every time I watch him. He's way too athletic to act like that.

I wish everyone could play for the Baseball Estep!! You acted like that or even thought about disrespecting an opponents players/coaches/parents/fans, umps/refs, fellow teammates, fans/parents, bus driver, restaurant employee, hotel employee, FREAKIN ANYONEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE you got your block absolutely knocked off and ran till your a$$ was dragging the ground. (OK, not literally hit for all you snowflakes out there). but that's where the parents come into it, a coach now days does that and they get jumped by parents and fired. excuse my language but pu$$y a$$ parents raising pu$$y a$$ kids.
Totally agree

JeepsWin
Waterboy

Post by JeepsWin »

How many playas on the teem are not from Wheelrsbug . that could be an isue

BurgBuckeye
Freshman Team

Post by BurgBuckeye »

JeepsWin wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:37 pm How many playas on the teem are not from Wheelrsbug . that could be an isue
JESUS, here we go........................................................

GO BUCKEYES!
yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

JeepsWin wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:37 pm How many playas on the teem are not from Wheelrsbug . that could be an isue
One and don’t even start that crap.

I wasn’t at the game but from the sounds of it it got a little chippy.

Curious as to why Tanner was given a technical. He had a few last year and most of them were from jawing the ref.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

SOC94 wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:29 pm I agree that he should never have wore the wright state shirt during warm ups. You play for Wheelersburg...take pride in that bc you won’t play for them forever. As for Oak Hill playing dirty? I would love to know how? They played hard last night, really hard. To say they are dirty will not fly with me because Norm would simply not allow it. Norm too ater to shut the Pruitt kid up bc again look at all the extra antics that the burg players did after every shot, steal, etc... I’m old school as hell but the showboating and trash talk are excessive. It’s a rivalry I know and as much hate I had for burg when I played them, I always respected them and what they stood for. I played when Barrick was still there and I know there’s no way any of the stuff the Holden and Pruitt kid, hell the whole team did last night would fly on any of those teams. Win with class, lose with class. Respect the game and the name on the front of your jersey.
Let's just say that one kid was specifically talked to during the game by the official saying if he did it again he would be removed from the game. And what about the intentional foul on holden, that was dirty. Again, I stand by my comment that it's magnified 1000x because it's burg. And the Norm wouldn't allow it comment is a joke. He's been on record coming in on officials after the game while they're changing. I've watched oak hill players spit on burgs floor during game. I'm not saying burg didn't do those things, I'm saying that the other team is far from being perfect.

Return to “Boys Basketball”