The future of grass fields

OVC
JV Team

The future of grass fields

Post by OVC »

I just saw a post on Facebook where they are raising funds for turf for Minford. I have also heard that Green’s new Stadium when they build schools will have turf. What is the future of grass fields in our area? Are there any other schools getting turf in the forseeable future?

Contemplating all life choices and loyalties…
bleed_blue
Varsity

Re: The future of grass fields

Post by bleed_blue »

The way it’s looking grass fields are going to be few and far between. If Minford does get new turf I hope they don’t hire the same company that redone their field about 15 years ago.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

Northwest will be getting turf this off season. I think the turf company is going to wait until spring to start on the field.
The athletic facility will be started in the next few weeks.
This building will house weight room, locker rooms for football ,soccer and cross country. There will also be 30 yards of indoor turf along with batting cages in this building.

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

BigBlueNation wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:17 am Northwest will be getting turf this off season. I think the turf company is going to wait until spring to start on the field.
This building will house weight room, locker rooms for football ,soccer and cross country. There will also be 30 yards of indoor turf along with batting cages in this building.
Sounds like it is going to be really nice facilities.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

I imagine every school that has the fundraising capabilities to install turf will do so.

Wellston Ironman
Freshman Team

Post by Wellston Ironman »

No turf at Wellston.......ever.

The BEST thing about people from Wellston is that they have JACKSON on their license plates!
Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

OVC wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:00 pm I just saw a post on Facebook where they are raising funds for turf for Minford. I have also heard that Green’s new Stadium when they build schools will have turf. What is the future of grass fields in our area? Are there any other schools getting turf in the forseeable future?
Green is getting turf? That has to be the biggest waste of money ever. Only bigger schools need turf

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

Proud_Pirate63 wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:44 am
BigBlueNation wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:17 am Northwest will be getting turf this off season. I think the turf company is going to wait until spring to start on the field.
Sounds like it is going to be really nice facilities.
Yes it will be. I know the kids are really excited.

ManitouDan2
SE

Post by ManitouDan2 »

Is turf cheaper over time VS grass ? I know I'm being cynical but with all the financial difficulties and all the " we are so poor" crying from those in academia it sure looks bad to see million dollar HS facilities being thrown up . I'm a fan of small schools , love the spirit and traditions and comradery but Turf at Green ? For there 15 football players ? Cmon .

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

West is supposed to be getting a turf fund together

Building is near completion now that will have new weightroom, workout facility, and batting cages. Should be really nice.

OVC
JV Team

Post by OVC »

Westfan wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:18 pm West is supposed to be getting a turf fund together

Building is near completion now that will have new weightroom, workout facility, and batting cages. Should be really nice.
I hate that because West has probably the best grass field I have seen.
Raider6309 wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:29 pm [quote=OVC post_id=<a href="tel:1721454">1721454</a> time=<a href="tel:1544068814">1544068814</a> user_id=3747]
I just saw a post on Facebook where they are raising funds for turf for Minford. I have also heard that Green’s new Stadium when they build schools will have turf. What is the future of grass fields in our area? Are there any other schools getting turf in the forseeable future?
Green is getting turf? That has to be the biggest waste of money ever. Only bigger schools need turf
[/quote]

Yep. I believe that was apart of their levy with a new stadium

Contemplating all life choices and loyalties…
Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

OVC wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:21 pm
Westfan wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:18 pm West is supposed to be getting a turf fund together

I hate that because West has probably the best grass field I have seen.

One reason that it's nice is it's never used to keep it that way. Turf does allow more use, but opening it up to band, soccer, jv, middle school also causes scheduling practice issues.
I like grass too, but it's a disadvantage in the playoffs to play on turf when you play and practice on grass all season, especially in the kicking game. And I've heard that in the future, you may have to have turf to host first round

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

small school in NEO....Crestwood Mantua........awesome school and known to always be competitive on a state level.......home of in infamous Jack Lambert.....Lambert said he would never pay for his alma mater to have turf on its field as turf toe plagued the man to the end of his career.....

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Turf is great. The field is never a sloppy mess, it is easy to maintain, and it holds up to a lot of use.
At Nelsonville-York between the little Bucks, Jr high, and high school it sees a lot of use and has held up well.
You don't have to worry about painting lines either lol

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Orange and Brown wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:49 am Turf is great. The field is never a sloppy mess, it is easy to maintain, and it holds up to a lot of use.
At Nelsonville-York between the little Bucks, Jr high, and high school it sees a lot of use and has held up well.
You don't have to worry about painting lines either lol
I'd like to see the comparison on how longs these fields last with the more vs less usage. Reason I say this is because at Jackson I know they play, pee wee and junior high games on the old grass field. I also believe the freshman team practices on the grass field beside the stadium. Curious if this helps with field longevity. Green getting turf is strange and I honestly don't know that I'll buy into that one until I see it. I have heard that Minford and P-west are working on turf, West needs to work on moving those visiting bleachers closer guy has to bring a set of binoculars to a high school game.

Mavrick2016
JV Team

Post by Mavrick2016 »

I would love too see Green get Turf, it would only help their program.

Barber1973
Freshman Team

Post by Barber1973 »

Field at NY is starting 2 look a little rough how much does it cost just fer new turf and who pays for it

Nigel Tufnel
Waterboy

Post by Nigel Tufnel »

I'm personally not a proponent or opponent of field turf, but some resources you might be interested in:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozania ... c8af245db2

https://sites.duke.edu/wcwp/tournament- ... -vs-grass/

https://unrulysports.com/synthetic-arti ... ss-fields/

I leave it to your discretion to determine if there are biases in these sources. Some readily available sources are pretty obviously slanted (i.e. Artificial turf company statements or sod company statements in favor of their products).

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Barber1973 wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:38 pm Field at NY is starting 2 look a little rough how much does it cost just fer new turf and who pays for it
Fundraising will pay for it. We are looking at replacing it in a couple of years.

BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Orange and Brown wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:05 pm
Barber1973 wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:38 pm Field at NY is starting 2 look a little rough how much does it cost just fer new turf and who pays for it
Fundraising will pay for it. We are looking at replacing it in a couple of years.
Cost very on what you get.

BUCKEYE PRIDE!

Return to “Football”