2018-2019 Gallia Academy Basketball Schedule

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Re: 2018-2019 Gallia Academy Basketball Schedule

Post by pfloyd »

Looking forward to getting to see Gallia Academy vs Logan ... this year at home here in Logan, hopefully the one game scheduling continues with LHS heading to the river for return engagement next season ... I know that Logan is continuing to move the biggest chunk of their schedule ABOVE the Lancaster-Dixon Line BUT I like seeing my Purple STILL play some of the better programs in the SouthEast District - Gallia Academy, Warren, Vinton County, Chillicothe twice, Athens , Sheridan ...

BigBlue85
Waterboy

Post by BigBlue85 »

svac83 wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:51 pm Ok let’s not talk basketball travel expenses and school budgets the people that bring that up no nothing about Gallipolis city schools and athletics. There is no money taken out of the Gallipolis city schools general fund for athletics. Gallia academy athletics is 100% self supported by gate and boosters that is why your kid has to fun raise all year long. That is why we have pay for play. The athletics do not cost school system a dime.

Gallia academy was bad at basketball for quite some time and as the seoal fell apart it picked up a lot of sisters of poor for a schedule. They have started upgrading the schedule a little every year since Harrison took over. A few years ago Point had some athletes in basketball and I was fine with the 2 games. But think it is time for Point and river valley to go back to 1 game a piece and the 2 replacement games for them needsto be meigs and Jackson. Playing each of them once and then your other 4 non conference games would of been Athens, Logan, warren and Afrocentric. I think that would of been a quality non conference schedule. Have no problem with you playing point Pleasant and river valley each once.

But this schedule is much better then what blue devils were playing like 4 years ago.
I disagree this schedule is upgraded that much. With the OVC being so soft this year it would've been nice to have upgraded more. This isn't a better schedule at all. 4 years ago you had Portsmouth as a GOOD team, Chesapeake was GOOD, Warren twice as league games, Point was good, that's 8 games against good teams. Now, there's nothing we can do about those teams that are league games now, and them not being strong opponents anymore and that's a shame. The rest of the schedule is a wash compared to the opponents from recent years. I am happy to see Warren back on though. But, it's a stretch to say we have been upgrading since Harrison took over. It's even up. Point and RV should be once, I agree. Why not take the road Fairland did the past couple of years and seriously beef it up? This team should raise it's goal to a trip to Columbus at the end of the year.

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

In 2013-2014 Gallia academy finished the season 12-11 there 12 wins were against tolsia 1-24 WV, Lincoln county WV 6-15, Jackson. 1-21, meigs 7-13, rock hill 4-16, eastern2-19, Wellston 4-18, ironton 2-21, river valley 5-12, Wellston again, Jackson again, and Vinton county 12-8, only the Jackson games were league contest. In league they also lost to Logan twice who was only 7-13... fairland and Chesapeake were both 12 win teams in non conference. Point pleasant was really the only really good non confronts team.

In 2014-2015 you had that powe house south Gallia, rock hill twice and Wellston, river valley twice even though that was A 500 river valley team. Played a 3 win point pleasant team twice. Yes Chesapeake was good. Vinton country was good and fairland and ironton was solid.

Now if you want to say the schedule is not as good as when Osborne coached I agree they challenged themselves every night

BigBlue85
Waterboy

Post by BigBlue85 »

So again it's a wash with many of those teams comparable to several OVC team now and RV, etc. The schedule is no better now than it was 4 years ago and maybe not as good. Records mean nothing. It's the strength of the teams you're playing. I want to see this team get challenged given the talent we have. That's all I'm wanting. And they won't be challenged with this schedule this year. Now, 4 years ago we wouldn't touch Warren. This team can and should beat Warren this season. Glad to see them back on! That's my point. See them play serious schedule that prepares them better for tournament time. Good luck Devils!

GalliaGrad78
SEOP

Post by GalliaGrad78 »

Are the Blue Devils considered “underdogs” against Affricentric?
What time is the tip?

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

BigBlue85 wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:42 am So again it's a wash with many of those teams comparable to several OVC team now and RV, etc. The schedule is no better now than it was 4 years ago and maybe not as good. Records mean nothing. It's the strength of the teams you're playing. I want to see this team get challenged given the talent we have. That's all I'm wanting. And they won't be challenged with this schedule this year. Now, 4 years ago we wouldn't touch Warren. This team can and should beat Warren this season. Glad to see them back on! That's my point. See them play serious schedule that prepares them better for tournament time. Good luck Devils!
I guess we will just agree to disagree. My only problem with the schedule is 2 Point pleasant and 2 river valley. I would be fine if you eliminated a river valley and put meigs on. Eliminated a Point and put Jackson on.

The other 4 non conference. Athens, Logan, warren and Afrocentric. I don’t think anyone should complain about.

I don’t they know wevshould compare this team to last years fairland team that fairland team went to the final 4 in state before with everyone back.

What has this Gallia team done. They won one game in the sectional to win the sectional and lost first game at convo. I thought no they have a shot to get to Columbus but on the court as of yet this team hasn’t proved that it is a great team yet the way fairland had.

I could be wrong but the best win this team has is maybe Zane trace last year? Maybe I am forgetting a better one. But that is best I remember

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

And as far as OVC goes. The top of OVC may not be a last competitive as last year but think the bottom of OVC better then it has been in a while.

BigBlue85
Waterboy

Post by BigBlue85 »

I agree about Point and RV being played only once. At least until those 2 get competitive again. Logan and Warren are both great additions and Africentric as well. I would say at least this year and next to add someone like Unioto, Chillicothe, etc. Not necessarily those teams but the quality of those teams. It's true what you say about this team doesn't have quality wins but adding more quality opponents is how you get those. And I get what you say about Fairland but they didn't play the schedule they did until they knew the caliber of players they would have the past 4 years. That's where we may have dropped the ball so to speak. Gallia staff knew this talent was coming and should have prepared for such. It's almost like being the biggest and oldest kid in the neighborhood and beating all the little kids in 1on1. Yes you win a lot but are you challenged enough to make you better? I still think the "goal" of this team should be Columbus. Not that we are good enough nor that we have proved ourselves worthy. But still should be the goal. Teams in years past could be satisfied with making it to the Convo but this group of players need to have loftier goals. Just my two cents worth and that's about all it is lol. I appreciate your opinions and how they challenge my own. I think we can both also say Go Blue together!

NoPain23
Freshman Team

Post by NoPain23 »

GalliaGrad78 wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:03 am Are the Blue Devils considered “underdogs” against Affricentric?
What time is the tip?

I would assume so, not that last year matters but Affricentric were state runner-ups in D3. Tip is at 6:45 it will be packed!

SEOAL74
Freshman Team

Post by SEOAL74 »

Fairland went to State 2 years ago and they played a real tough schedule last year and got beat 1st game in regionals last year and should have gotten beat in District final by Fairfield Union who only beat GAHS by 3 points in District Fairfield Union was up by as many as 17 points and choked at the end of game. Basketball is along season playing tough teams can help you but if you play too many tough games it can hurt you by wearing your team down and not having your legs under you, but I do agree GAHS needed to replace RV and Point at the end of their schedule and add a couple of good teams that would help them get ready for post season.y

GalliaGrad78
SEOP

Post by GalliaGrad78 »

I don’t think the Blue Devils should get “the cart before the horse”. One game at a time.

dingleberryfairy
Waterboy

Post by dingleberryfairy »

Ironman92 wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:05 pm Seems wrong not to be playing a game or two against Jackson.
No sense in wasting a game or two for the blue!!!!!!!!

Ironton fan till I die

dingleberryfairy
Waterboy

Post by dingleberryfairy »

GalliaGrad78 wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:03 am Are the Blue Devils considered “underdogs” against Affricentric?
What time is the tip?
the tip is predicted to be @6:45 for the blue, if the tournament is on schedule

SEOAL74
Freshman Team

Post by SEOAL74 »

The Blue Devils played them in the summer in Columbus and the Blue Devils beat them by quiet a few points.

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

Sounds like GA had a good showing against a strong Columbus team ! And almost pulled a win out!

GalliaGrad78
SEOP

Post by GalliaGrad78 »

I heard the Devils were down 19 at the half, having trouble with the press. Impressive second half I would say.

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

Well things really changed today. I think all hopes for a really high seed at sectionals probably walked out the door today.

Not that I don’t think the players left don’t make a good basketball team. It is just I think with loosing loveday it is going to take you a couple of games to find your identity.

The good part is now I think you really have a team that was made for operating without a big man. Now they are going to have to find one because there will be a few big guys around but this team is now going to just be able to spread the floor and take guys one one. The question will be how will they attack the zone. When teams employ it against them.

bluefan1
Waterboy

Post by bluefan1 »

Couldn’t agree more. Some of these seniors have been playing ball together since a young age. They have done well for themselves. I think they will pull it together and have a good season. It’s a shame for them to lose a team mate. I do hope he had some respect for them to talk to them before he left.

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

Good luck GA !

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

Well blue devils fans what do you think. The last 2 games the loss at fairland and the win tonight against Portsmouth has left me very optimistic about this teams chahces here in about 10 days 2 weeks and you have 3 more chances to build on it.

Man if Caleb Henry has really actually figured it out from the foul line thevway he can get to the rim. And bailey walker finally hit some shots. Saw tonightvand at fairland you got a few other kids that can come off bench if you need them and give you a little something.

Still things that can be improved on. But I thought these were maybe the 2 best games coach Harrison has coached in his time here.

Hopefully we can close out season with 3 road wins in next week and be on a real roll

Return to “Boys Basketball”