Final 4: Wheelersburg vs. Johnstown

55buckeyes98
All Conference

Re: Final 4: Wheelersburg vs. Johnstown

Post by 55buckeyes98 »

Burgball#1 wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:42 am
Crab's Brother wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:05 am
BurgGrad92 wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:03 am

Yes, and it seemed they were lacking leadership at times. Someone that could rally the team when they were flat. I do think Burg got caught looking ahead to next week and put too much focus on last week’s game possibly? I never knew The coaching staff to allow so much pomp and circumadtance around a game (community pep rally). It was awesome, but It wasn’t typical business as usual attitude I’ve seen in the past
I said that several times this season when it came to leadership. I thought last year’s team had that while this year, outside of Dahm, I hadn’t seen it. I think it showed up last night.

Wheelersburg had a great season but they were flat bullied at the LOS tonight. I will never outright question a coaching staff for gameplans. They watch the film and know their teams. But I wonder why Wheelersburg went deep to Holden on the first play but never again? Seemed like he had an advantage on the perimeter.

I agree with you we never threw the long ball to Tanner and he definitely had the advantage.

Wow what a band Johnstown had I think I counted 24 drummers very very impressive!!!

Good look in the championship you have a fine team!!!
Many band members did not come, it was optional after their trip to March in the Chicago Thanksgiving Parade. Go Big Red Band!

Slothman
Freshman Team

Post by Slothman »

I’m a outsider looking in. I have followed the Burg the past two years from a distance as I have followed Ironton in the past , at times Portsmouth and West . I live in southeastern Ohio and pull for these teams in the playoffs. I just don’t understand how a fan base coming off a state title, backing it up with a 12-2 season would complain and or call out kids/coaches for lack of leadership? My home town team has been to the playoffs 2 times in its history , 0-2 and I would just be elated if they could just rise up and win a playoff game.
My point being enjoy the good times because even Rome fell !
Great job to the players and staff of the Wheelersburg Pirates! Job well done.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Crab's Brother wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:05 am
BurgGrad92 wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:03 am
bleed_blue wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:54 pm

I actually think this years Oline was better than last but the big difference was the D line and the loss of Carmichael but Burg fans knew those were going to be holes that needed to be filled to have a chance at back to back titles.
Yes, and it seemed they were lacking leadership at times. Someone that could rally the team when they were flat. I do think Burg got caught looking ahead to next week and put too much focus on last week’s game possibly? I never knew The coaching staff to allow so much pomp and circumadtance around a game (community pep rally). It was awesome, but It wasn’t typical business as usual attitude I’ve seen in the past
I said that several times this season when it came to leadership. I thought last year’s team had that while this year, outside of Dahm, I hadn’t seen it. I think it showed up last night.

Wheelersburg had a great season but they were flat bullied at the LOS tonight. I will never outright question a coaching staff for gameplans. They watch the film and know their teams. But I wonder why Wheelersburg went deep to Holden on the first play but never again? Seemed like he had an advantage on the perimeter.

Good question and who knows on Holden!! He had a huge mismatch last week that was exposed one time and the kid couldn’t cover him. Never went back to it.

allamericanironman
All Conference

Post by allamericanironman »

You have to wonder if all that went on this week didn’t have an effect last night. It threw me for a loop and I don’t even have a dog in the fight! Either way I’m still proud of the pirates. the players don’t deserve what they have been through last week and I feel bad for them.

I saw week 5 the burg weakness a pure run team can move the ball on this years team.

I am still blown away that our southern linemen are now our teams weakness. This blows my mind.

Still a great season. We are 4 weeks ahead of you in the weight room! Just saying

Holden!?!?!?
Last edited by allamericanironman on Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

ItsMyOpinion
Varsity

Post by ItsMyOpinion »

Hopefully they shut this thread down soon. The longer it goes the more upset the Wheelersburg supporters become. They are no different than any other fans base. Wheelersburg wants to claim how classy they are but so far they have called people “Jerks” for stating their opinions, using Initials to respresent cuss words, talking about their past instead of the present, questioning their coaching staff, etc.

Wheelersburg got upset plan and simple. Johnstown deserves to win because of their play on the field. It’s time for basketball season.

hegotgame
Riding the Bench

Post by hegotgame »

First trip to Jackson for me last night. Facility was awesome. The away side was definitely too small for the burg fans but home side had plenty of extra seating. The parking scenario was a nightmare after the main lot filled up but is what it is. I never thought Johnstown would dominate the way they did. They get on people and drive them. The fullback in fun to watch block. The burg backers have to be sore today. Congrats to the burg on a great season and good luck to Johnstown next week in Canton!

Cato
Riding the Bench

Post by Cato »

Was really surprising how much better Johnstown was then Wheelersburg last night. That was a butt whipping plain and simple.
A team that has dominated defensively for a couple years looked lost. Like Superman lost his kryptonite. After the sideshow in Columbus, you have to wonder has something been going on? Offensively you lay eggs, but generally solid defenses play solid defense, and it wasn't like Johnstown ran this elaborate offense

bigdogtaz
Waterboy

Post by bigdogtaz »

Watched the game , in my opinion Johnstown came prepared and motivated not just to win a state semifinal but for payback, as for the Burg I have no doubt with the success of their program that they were prepared, but I feel they lacked focus, and when they realised they were in a fight that lack of focus put them in quicksand, harder they fought worse it got, they over pursued, tried too hard to make a play which added to Johnstown's success, a loss is never good but Burg fans should be proud, champs last year and made it to the top 4 in the state this year, very successful season, and for the haters , well some people know it all I guess that comes easy when your team is watching from the bleachers.

JHS Pride
Freshman Team

Post by JHS Pride »

Burg96 wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:04 pm I just can’t understand how an opponent could ever be overlooked at this stage of the state playoffs.
I think you understand now

BBALL99
Freshman Team

Post by BBALL99 »

Burg was prepared and Johnstown wasn't overlooked.

Johnstown was just better, it happens.

JHS Pride
Freshman Team

Post by JHS Pride »

BurgGrad6 wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:45 am
JHS Pride wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:32 am
BurgGrad6 wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:55 am Burg will pick Johnstown apart.. 38-7
Wow, awful cocky my friend, pick us apart? Like your confidence, but I like our teams better
Not cocky at all man. Just confident. If it doesn’t happen they way I think it will I will be the first to eat my crow. Johnstown don’t have the speed to contain burg. Also they don’t have the line to pressure Salyers.. if burg doesn’t win by 30 I will honestly be surprised.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

BBALL99 wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:47 pm Burg was prepared and Johnstown wasn't overlooked.

Did you watch the game?? No burg was not prepared, they tried to go sideline to sideline all night playing right into the Johnnies strength. I watched the front on defense they moved very little and wasn't ready for that game speed in which Johnnies ran their offense. How many times did burg go 3 and out?? 4-5 at least?? When burg started out with a TD on 3rd play and then Johnnies went 3 and out I can't help but think burg relaxed. I know watching it I thought here we go again, even Johnnies fans around me started looking at each other and sighing. It was the burg 3 and out right after and then Johnnies going down relatively easy and scoring that really settled it asll down and set the tone for the night.

BBALL99
Freshman Team

Post by BBALL99 »

greygoose wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:06 pm
BBALL99 wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:47 pm Burg was prepared and Johnstown wasn't overlooked.

Did you watch the game?? No burg was not prepared, they tried to go sideline to sideline all night playing right into the Johnnies strength. I watched the front on defense they moved very little and wasn't ready for that game speed in which Johnnies ran their offense. How many times did burg go 3 and out?? 4-5 at least?? When burg started out with a TD on 3rd play and then Johnnies went 3 and out I can't help but think burg relaxed. I know watching it I thought here we go again, even Johnnies fans around me started looking at each other and sighing. It was the burg 3 and out right after and then Johnnies going down relatively easy and scoring that really settled it asll down and set the tone for the night.
You're right...Burg probably didnt have any film at all on Johnstown and wasnt prepared....Burg relaxed after scoring quick, that is probably the first time Burg scored quickly all year

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

BBALL99 wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:33 pm

You're right...Burg probably didnt have any film at all on Johnstown and wasnt prepared....Burg relaxed after scoring quick, that is probably the first time Burg scored quickly all year
Time of possession was something like 38:30 to 9:30 in the Johnnies favor. THAT is the biggest factor in this game. Woody and Bo are smiling right now.

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Exactly, thanks because obviously you didnt watch the game or if you did you simply didn't see the exact same thing the other 5K ppl seen

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

FANOSPORTS wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:56 pm

Time of possession was something like 38:30 to 9:30 in the Johnnies favor. THAT is the biggest factor in this game. Woody and Bo are smiling right now.
Well when you have a offense that goes 3 and out as much as burg did last night you won't win many games or time of possession. Burg seen the ball once in the 3rd quarter.

vladimir
S

Post by vladimir »

I think W'burg came into this game overlooking Johnstown b/c of them being in Region 19, and how close Ironton played the Johnnies. By winning Region 20 didn't mean they were the defacto Region 19 champs. Wheelersburg looked uninspired and unprepared, which is atypical for a Wheelersburg team. I was hoping to take another trip to Canton next week to see a local team. Although it was a good 2-year run, it wasn't in the cards this year.

The best things in life: To Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!- Conan the Barbarian
Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

I got the feeling from all posts that fans already had crowned themstate champs since they beat the favorite to win it all in Middletown Madison. They was thinking they would have there way with the Johnnies and after first series, they was in the state title game.But Congrats to the Johnnies and probably the only state champ in Southeeastern Ohio from Glouster theTrimble Wildcats. Go Cats!

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

By the way if Madison and Wheelersburg played 10 times , how would that come out.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Prime Time wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:08 pm I got the feeling from all posts that fans already had crowned themstate champs since they beat the favorite to win it all in Middletown Madison. They was thinking they would have there way with the Johnnies and after first series, they was in the state title game.But Congrats to the Johnnies and probably the only state champ in Southeeastern Ohio from Glouster theTrimble Wildcats. Go Cats!
Tomcats.... :roll:

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!

Return to “Football”