Final 4: Wheelersburg vs. Johnstown

Burgfan/grad85
Freshman Team

Re: Final 4: Wheelersburg vs. Johnstown

Post by Burgfan/grad85 »

How can you not get fired up to play a team who has made it to the regional finals 6 years in a row #4 in the state in playoff appearances. Just sounds like an excuse to me ? Last year Burg outmatched Johnstown. Burg was faster and better prepared . But maybe a year's experience has closed the gap who knows ? Maybe if Johnstown takes this game serious this year it will be a closer game? All I know is that we will for sure find out Saturday! GO BURG! Play with the same intensity and passion as you did against Madison! darn it man come on Saturday can't wait ! Go BURG Go!!

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

JHS Pride wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:01 pm Just wanted to let everyone on here know, I’m truly a Jtown alumnus, I’m on here because I love talking about games and hearing different opinions of the opposing teams fan base, I try to do the same and give you insight of my team. It ticks me off a little when I hear disrespect (either side) about this or that and has absolutely nothing to do with the game it’s self. I will banter and argue for my team but I will assure all of you Burg fans I will not disrespect you, I will defend my team if I feel it’s defendable and I know you all can agree.

Couple things, what type of D does burg have? Are they gonna set up in a 3-4 man to man because we are a heavy run team? Cause that’s best way to defend that type of offense, lots of bodies and options you can use to spy, crash, hold gaps etc.. also what’s the main offense set you use, it looks like you guys set up with trips and allows for you to run or hit TE on other options, but sometimes you guys look to be in a spread I formation with a slot. Just asking. I like talking X & O’s, not BS.

I want to add, I will probably not give a score prediction on this game, I know johnnies have a big task to overcome and will take a lot to win this game, I’m proud of them but will say this, we got our a%#es handed to us last year by you guys, and everything is lining up to be the same outcome this year, but I’m truly making this statement from fact,that last year our inexperience we did not take the Burg seriously, and we prepared that way. Not making excuses just telling you a factual experience and I will leave it at that. This year, we are, we know what we will need to be and how to prepare to get the job done, this team no joke. But, the Burg on the other hand knows the outcome of last years game and I think they will be overlooking us and not taking us seriously. So if the score is 17-14 at halftime, I want you all to reflect on what I’m saying right now. But if it’s 31-0 at halftime I will do the same.
Good post, love the team support and the respect of the opponents program. It's been hashed out about overlooking an opponent, but have to remember what age group of kids we're dealing with. You get some big wins on the year get 2 big wins in the first 2 rounds of the playoffs and players get a little relaxed and start thinking they just need to show up. It's a learning experience and I'm sure a hard lesson they learned that year, I don't look for them to make that same mistake this year. Much respect for both programs and the kids that are getting the opportunity to get a shot at a title. Also Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

Forecast 49 degrees 0% chance of rain at kickoff

JHS Pride
Freshman Team

Post by JHS Pride »

Burg96 wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:04 pm I just can’t understand how an opponent could ever be overlooked at this stage of the state playoffs.
They are HS kids, that’s how

JHS Pride
Freshman Team

Post by JHS Pride »

Burg96 wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:04 pm I just can’t understand how an opponent could ever be overlooked at this stage of the state playoffs.

JHS Pride
Freshman Team

Post by JHS Pride »

Happy thanksgiving to all!! I’m greatful for this matchup!!! Haha

14svt
JV Team

Post by 14svt »

JHS Pride wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:19 am
To these guys they are NFL stars

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

14svt wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:07 am
JHS Pride wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:19 am
To these guys they are NFL stars
Trolling on thanksgiving, really?? Happy Thanksgiving, take you a break though.

laser breath
Varsity

Post by laser breath »

Burg community does not put these kids on a pedestal. They support them when the time comes and do so in an amazing effort. They aren’t nfl stars, just an extension of the community they live in.

bleed_blue
Varsity

Post by bleed_blue »

JHS Pride wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:18 am
I could see that happening. With Coldwater moving out of D5 and the division being up for grabs and Johnstown moving down from D4 after doing battle with Stubenville all those years, I could see their thinking that they’re the big dogs now and this is their division for the taking.

rxburgfan
All State

Post by rxburgfan »

laser breath wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:13 am Burg community does not put these kids on a pedestal. They support them when the time comes and do so in an amazing effort. They aren’t nfl stars, just an extension of the community they live in.
Nothing wrong with having high hopes for a team.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

12A6EF80-ABF8-440B-80FD-4D0A8EA3740D.png
I would say Johnstown’s schedule has prepared them for this game. Looks to be a tougher schedule than Wheelersburgs.
They played 3 D2 teams the best being 6-4 Licking Heights coming away with a 21-7 win.
They played 2 D3 teams, a 42-0 win over 5-5 Independence and a close 21-14 loss at 10-2 Granville who went two rounds into the playoffs.
They beat D4 Licking Valley who is 10-3 and playing in a State Semi-Final game.
After a close game with Ironton (15-7) in round one of the playoffs they have cruised to 35-7 and 45-14 wins over Bellaire and Meadowbrook.

Wheelersburg did beat Ironton a little worse but that was the first game of the season while Johnstown got them with 10 games under their belts.

Both teams are playing very well right now and this promises to be a good one. Should be a dogfight.
I would not expect a blowout either way.

laser breath
Varsity

Post by laser breath »

They lost to Granville who beat Jackson the same as burg. I don’t believe in the schedule thing. For example burg beat greenview and the score was close but at no time was Burg not in control. They just turned it over. If Johnstown is good, they are good. They are the top 4 in the state right now. I am assuming they are good but I think burg is 2 or 3 touchdowns better.

Burgfan/grad85
Freshman Team

Post by Burgfan/grad85 »

Wheelersburg had a tougher schedule than Johnstown. Burg 8th toughest in DV Johnstown 16th toughest in DV. But at this time of the year I would say that both teams will be well prepared for this game . I think it will come down to execution and flat out who wants it the most. IMO Burg just defeated the 2nd best team in DV in Madison. Madison's D-line was very good and I know that Burg will not face another D-line that good the rest of the playoffs. But Johnstowns quickness could pose a threat we will see come Saturday night.one thing that Burg will have to correct is the penalties they had 10 last game but I think how good Madison's d-line was caused a few of those holding calls. Looks like we might be having some good weather come game time! :)! Happy thanksgiving everyone! And GO BURG!

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

laser breath wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:21 am They lost to Granville who beat Jackson the same as burg. I don’t believe in the schedule thing. For example burg beat greenview and the score was close but at no time was Burg not in control. They just turned it over. If Johnstown is good, they are good. They are the top 4 in the state right now. I am assuming they are good but I think burg is 2 or 3 touchdowns better.
99% of the people on here will tell you schedule schedule schedule is what prepares you and makes you better. I realize Granville beat Jackson with a similar score as Wheelersburg (38-7 vs 33-14), Granville did beat them a little worse but the Johnstown loss to Granville was a one score game early in the season. Who’s to say how Wheelersburg would compare to Granville.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

I guess we’d have to go on hypotheticals which always makes it fun. Lol. They have burg beating Granville by four. I think scheduling has an important part. It helps you react better. I think both schedules were pretty tough for both teams. If the officials will let these guys play, I think burg can come out on top but this will be a good game. Can’t see a blow out.

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

Toss up game.

Have gun, will travel
rxburgfan
All State

Post by rxburgfan »

Paladin wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:44 pmToss up game.
At this point in the bracket they should be toss up games. Comes down to coaching decisions and execution. Saturday’s coming....

BurgGrad6
SE

Post by BurgGrad6 »

JHS Pride wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:20 am Happy thanksgiving to all!! I’m greatful for this matchup!!! Haha
Happy Thanksgiving! I too am greatful for this matchup!

The Nature Boy
JV Team

Post by The Nature Boy »

"Grateful" We all are grateful. At least we should be. We are blessed with 29 weeks of football the last 2 years. Hopefully we get to see #30. This game will be a dandy. Time for talking will be over soon. You have to know both communities, coaches and teams will be ready. Time is drawing near to put up or shut up. A victory is a victory. By 1 point or a 100. I wish the best to both teams and have safe travels.

Return to “Football”