S

What makes some schools good every year and some not so good every year

Post by dilligaf »

Any thoughts on this?

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Re: What makes some schools good every year and some not so good every year

Post by EasternDspy »

It starts at lower levels the high school coach needs to be on fbd same page with the younger level coaches. Also summer camps for youth is key. Also when teams have success it gets other kids excited to play football.

edforshey
Varsity

Post by edforshey »

Athletes vs Players

Burgfan/grad85
Freshman Team

Post by Burgfan/grad85 »

The system that is in place and a bunch of dedicated coaches willing to spend countless hours with the kids. Also very important is the community support!

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

The younger levels are key. NY has traditionally dominated all levels down to the early grades.

Some schools have had classes that played NY every year from third grade to twelfth grade and never once beat NY.

I am going to assume other traditionally strong programs have had similar experiences.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Burgfan/grad85 wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:04 pm The system that is in place and a bunch of dedicated coaches willing to spend countless hours with the kids. Also very important is the community support!
I Agree! Mayby sometimes the community support is overlooked a little. A perfect example is the Burg, it's the kids ( Boys & Girls ) the Parents, and the Fans. I've always said they have " The Refuse To Lose Mentality ".

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

edforshey wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:58 pm Athletes vs Players
8-) Bottom line, correct. (Coaches, camps, work habits, etc. can turn a team into a perennial above .500 winning team and help tremendously but the old adage " Jimmies & Joe's not X's and O's" will always stand as far as championship caliber teams go regardless of level).

** CB is starting to help in this state a little with total numbers but schools that basically "cheat" the system internally with "some new players" while at the same time keeping school numbers stable yearly always seem to stay on or near the top and we all know who these schools are. **

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
portsmouth_98
All State

Post by portsmouth_98 »

There is a lot that goes into it. There have been many times the last 10 years where I saw Portsmouth field teams stocked with great athletes and lose game after game. I know there is a difference between football players and athletes but we have had a lot of talented teams win 2 or 3 games for the season.

55buckeyes98
All Conference

Post by 55buckeyes98 »

Comes down to coaching (motivators) weight room commitment, community support, kids not focusing on one sport, etc etc so many little things

Burgfan/grad85
Freshman Team

Post by Burgfan/grad85 »

VetteMan wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:39 pm
Burgfan/grad85 wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:04 pm The system that is in place and a bunch of dedicated coaches willing to spend countless hours with the kids. Also very important is the community support!
I Agree! Mayby sometimes the community support is overlooked a little. A perfect example is the Burg, it's the kids ( Boys & Girls ) the Parents, and the Fans. I've always said they have " The Refuse To Lose Mentality ".
I totally agree! Not very many teams around that has the fan base that Burg does especially not in scioto county. 9 times out of 10 when Burg travels they have more fans than the home team has.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Burgfan/grad85 wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:31 pm
VetteMan wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:39 pm
I totally agree! Not very many teams around that has the fan base that Burg does especially not in scioto county. 9 times out of 10 when Burg travels they have more fans than the home team has.
Much like Ironton did years ago plus you get the "fring casual fans" from other towns around the area who just like to see good football on any given friday night. It's amazing what happens if you're a winning program.

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
NY Tomcat
JV Team

Post by NY Tomcat »

Some schools it's superior talent than what the opponents have, and some it's superior coaching. I can think of one of each in the immediate area.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

NY Tomcat wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:50 pm Some schools it's superior talent than what the opponents have, and some it's superior coaching. I can think of one of each in the immediate area.
I think we would all agree that it takes some of everything that everyone has posted on this topic. The Talent has to be there, the Coaching has to be there, hopefully the support is always there. A lot of schools when the talent is there, can have a good run of 3 or 4 years, then mayby have to go back to square one when the talent moves on. To me that's the difference, there are a few schools that are able to sustain that success year after year,regardless of how much talent moves on each year.

carbon_dated
All State

Post by carbon_dated »

more Jimmy's than Joe's?

OSU22
Varsity

Post by OSU22 »

EasternDspy wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:25 pm It starts at lower levels the high school coach needs to be on fbd same page with the younger level coaches. Also summer camps for youth is key. Also when teams have success it gets other kids excited to play football.
This this this x 1,000

Plus throw in the understanding of the game. You can have great athletes or players but if they don’t understand the game then why play. It can be little things too, knowing down and distance, understanding knocking down a pass at the 1 yard line is better for the team than an INT, stuff like that.

But the youth level thing is SPOT ON!

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

I think youth football is a key but disagree that they have to be on same page as a high school coach. What you need is youth football teaching every kid strong basics of every position. Even in junior high. The starting right tackle and biggest blocker on team in 7th grade. Was a stud QB by our junior year and probably didn’t way 15 lbs more then in 7th grade. And the littlest kid on my 7th grade class was a 3 year starter at center in high school.

Besides that I think it is about a culture and that culture starts with head coach and he needs the players the schooand community to buy in. You might not always have the best talent but when you see how that works talent is attracted to that atmosphere.

Older bird
Freshman Team

Post by Older bird »

I really think in my area (TVC) it’s what I call generational players. The last names don’t change. Trimble for example. Core group are same families. And when other teams have good years it’s names that have been there before. I use Trimble for this example because they Good year n year out. And those names just never change. I played against Fouts 20+ years ago. And there are still Fouts playing today.

efarns
S

Post by efarns »

Call it "coaching" or "the program," but it's no mystery.

bfry
JV Team

Post by bfry »

Coaching is vastly overrated. Not saying it is negligible. But overrated.

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

bfry wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:57 pm Coaching is vastly overrated. Not saying it is negligible. But overrated.
I think anyone who has followed Gallia academy last 10 years would beg to differ. When we had the right coaches very successful when we did not we were horrible. And there actually was quite a bit of talent on those bad teams

Return to “Football”