importance of having a good kicker.

Chillifan123
Waterboy

importance of having a good kicker.

Post by Chillifan123 »

I've seen so many teams that don't have even an average kicker, but it can have a big impact on games . Thoughts??

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Re: importance of having a good kicker.

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

I have watched many of teams lose because they can not even kick point kicks.
Last edited by LICKING COUNTY FAN on Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OSU22
Varsity

Post by OSU22 »

It is EXTREMELY important! Start them in jr high so they have time to perfect their technique. I also recommend finding somebody who can teach soccer style, can’t stand seeing teams kicking straight on and using that big dumb boot. I’ve seen many games where the team with a good kicker was the difference between a win and a loss

Kicker.
All Conference

Post by Kicker. »

It is super important, you could have a kid that is great at getting you that guaranteed point. And if you have a strong leg kicker you can get consistent touchbacks

A Kicker of various balls. Trust The Process
VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Agree with everything that has been said. The fact that a lot of schools don't even have soccer may have a lot to do with it also. I've noticed that a lot of your smaller schools mostly just squib kick on most of there kickoffs anyway. Also if they don't have confidence in there kicker, more often than not they just line up and go for 2 pts after every score. As I said before, this is mostly just your smaller schools.

Frank Reagan
Varsity

Post by Frank Reagan »

Kicking has become a lost art. The fact that kickoffs have become a thing of the past in All levels from Freshman down, it is hard to develop even a PAT person. Junior high and freshman seem to have little time to work on the kicking and holding, due to one less day of work per week since they play on Thursday. Having a soccer program does help, look at Valley for instance. The Romanello kid kicked and played soccer and was good at both, even was a good receiver.

Doing the right thing is rarely easy.
Kicker.
All Conference

Post by Kicker. »

Frank Reagan wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:47 pm Kicking has become a lost art. The fact that kickoffs have become a thing of the past in All levels from Freshman down, it is hard to develop even a PAT person. Junior high and freshman seem to have little time to work on the kicking and holding, due to one less day of work per week since they play on Thursday. Having a soccer program does help, look at Valley for instance. The Romanello kid kicked and played soccer and was good at both, even was a good receiver.

Last season alone the SOC had some of the best in the area kickers at West Burg and Waverly

OSU22
Varsity

Post by OSU22 »

I wouldn't say Soccer is essential to have at a school as long as the person teaching/instructing the kickers knows what they're talking about. NY has had a couple kickers as of late who kicked soccer style and have had success. The Maiden kid had one of the strongest legs in the area hands down. And obviously everyone knows Soccer has never been at NY.

Frank Reagan
Varsity

Post by Frank Reagan »

OSU22 wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:52 pm I wouldn't say Soccer is essential to have at a school as long as the person teaching/instructing the kickers knows what they're talking about. NY has had a couple kickers as of late who kicked soccer style and have had success. The Maiden kid had one of the strongest legs in the area hands down. And obviously everyone knows Soccer has never been at NY.
Sure, not essential, but doesn’t hurt. There are exceptions to the rule. Not everyone has experts to teach soccer style and I am sure private lessons and camps are expense.

Frank Reagan
Varsity

Post by Frank Reagan »

Kicker. wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:59 pm
Frank Reagan wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:47 pm Kicking has become a lost art. The fact that kickoffs have become a thing of the past in All levels from Freshman down, it is hard to develop even a PAT person. Junior high and freshman seem to have little time to work on the kicking and holding, due to one less day of work per week since they play on Thursday. Having a soccer program does help, look at Valley for instance. The Romanello kid kicked and played soccer and was good at both, even was a good receiver.

Last season alone the SOC had some of the best in the area kickers at West Burg and Waverly
All three have soccer programs. Were all three soccer or former soccer players?

Kicker.
All Conference

Post by Kicker. »

Ironically from Burg and West no, the kicker from West was pretty regarded by Chris Sailer who is one of the better kicking coaches for recruiting. Burgs kicker plays baseball also I believe. Waverly was the only one with kickers who had played soccer

Rolltanks
All Conference

Post by Rolltanks »

Depends on several factors. I’ve seen teams win a majority of there games because of a kicker. Defense can benefit if you get a touchback every kickoff. On the other hand in 2001 I followed Kenton all the way to the d4 title and they never punted once went for two every time and onside kicked every time. No matter how good your kicker is in that system he isn’t a factor lol. Mikes teams were definitely not the norm though.

teach1coach2
All State

Post by teach1coach2 »

October 5, 2018
6-0 vs 6-0
Tri-Valley 20
Sheridan 19
1 OT

TV had a TD/EP, FG,FG, OT TD/EP
SH had TD/EP, TD missed EP, OT TD missed EP

In the 2nd half and OT, Sheridan missed 2 FG and 2 EP. 1 EP was blocked, other 3 were missed left or right.

League title on the line.

Mohawk1234
Waterboy

Post by Mohawk1234 »

He don’t get many opportunities but Northwest has one of if not the best kicker in the soc 1 or 2

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Kicking camps are more important then some understand.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Waverlys Grayson Diener is a Junior and yes he plays soccer.
He consistently gets kicks in the end zone, has hit a very high % of his PAT’s (cant remember last miss) and has the leg to make 40-45 yard FG’s, is very accurate from 35.

rxburgfan
All State

Post by rxburgfan »

Who would have ever thought there would be HS kids kicking 45+ yard FGs in a game? Not me. Great to see how teams work on kicking game.

Kicker.
All Conference

Post by Kicker. »

rxburgfan wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:31 pm Who would have ever thought there would be HS kids kicking 45+ yard FGs in a game? Not me. Great to see how teams work on kicking game.

Notice how it's the good teams that worry about their special teams to be good

The Flush
Varsity

Post by The Flush »

I am impressed by Burg's backup kicker. He could start for a lot of teams.

The Flush
Varsity

Post by The Flush »

smurray wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:03 pm Waverlys Grayson Diener is a Junior and yes he plays soccer.
He consistently gets kicks in the end zone, has hit a very high % of his PAT’s (cant remember last miss) and has the leg to make 40-45 yard FG’s, is very accurate from 35.
Waverly's JV kicker is 16/16 on PATs so far. His range is at least 10 yards less than Diener, but he is only a sophomore and is 2 years younger.

Return to “Football”