Waverly 35 West 19

TIGERTOWN87
Waterboy

Re: Week 8 West (6-1) at Waverly (6-1)

Post by TIGERTOWN87 »

This game is a dogfight! The overall score the last 4 years is 88-83 in favor of the Tigers. West has won 3 of 4, with those games being decided by a total of 8 points. I agree with a lot of the analysis on here, it boils down to the Tigers ability to handle the run. There has been a lot of talk about time of possession, which I believe in high school is the most overrated stat. Waverly has not won the time of possession in a single game this year, yet they are 6-1.
This game is all about the first few possessions. Who sets the tone for the game. If Waverly can get the lead and keep it into the 4th quarter, they will win this game.

MasterOfNone
All Conference

Post by MasterOfNone »

West Side Pride wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:32 pm
MasterOfNone wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:32 pm I will be curious to see how the Tigers respond after Friday. The burg game was ugly. They rely on a lot of younger guys so hopefully they don't hang their heads after that loss. Everything that could have went wrong for the Tigers against burg did. I honestly don't think they could have played any worse, they are much better than how they played last Friday IMO. But a good bit of that credit goes to burg, they are a really good team and showed up to play. I think if Shoemaker doesn't fumble it on the first play, the game goes a little differently. Still don't think the Tigers would have won, but it wouldn't have been such a beating.

But it's time to turn the page and look forward to Week 8. I think this game could go either way. If I am West I am pounding the ball all night long. Waverly has shown no real answer for the run game all year. They do make adjustments throughout the game tho, such as bringing Snodgrass in to help on D against Valley and they started playing 4 D-Lineman in the second half against burg. If West wants to win, that's how they will do it. If I'm Waverly, I would load that box up with 8 or 9 and dare them to throw it. The Tigers have very good DBs, and I would trust them one on one with whoever West puts out there. Idk if what I was looking at was accurate, but one of the box scores I saw for the West/Minford game was that West only had 1 yard passing? If so, that's something you don't see much anymore lol. But Waverly has the ability to score in bunches and in a hurry. They have a ton of speed in all positions and can beat you in many different ways. I see this one being a close, high scoring affair. On a side note, how is West's special teams? That could be a factor as well. Waverly has been very good in that aspect of the game all year. Shoemaker has the ability to take the distance every time he is given an opportunity to return a kick. Just something to keep an eye on.

"If I was Waverly I'd put 8 or 9 in the box" That's prolly why your in the stands, sorry I'm not trying to be smart but I'd say Waverly's staff is
smarter than that. You would get screened to death.
What kind of Defense do you suggest they play?

West Side Pride
All Conference

Post by West Side Pride »

I say go ahead and load it up. Waverly has a ton of speed in all positions so I guess it wont matter. I'll take West and play the odds of only one loss
I believe in the last 10 years. Only thing about playing up there is the help from the officials, because the game could be close for the first half. We'll
have to see what happens to that "speed" when it gets hit hard play after play after play.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

West Side Pride wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:45 pm I say go ahead and load it up. Waverly has a ton of speed in all positions so I guess it wont matter. I'll take West and play the odds of only one loss
I believe in the last 10 years. Only thing about playing up there is the help from the officials, because the game could be close for the first half. We'll
have to see what happens to that "speed" when it gets hit hard play after play after play.
Oh my gosh, did a West fan just complain about homer refs???? REALLY????? REALLY???? One of the most notorious teams for homer refs complaining about refs, :lol: :lol: :lol: . When you go to West everyone knows you start out down 7, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: without a doubt one of the funniest post.

SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

greygoose wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:01 pm
West Side Pride wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:45 pm I say go ahead and load it up. Waverly has a ton of speed in all positions so I guess it wont matter. I'll take West and play the odds of only one loss
Oh my gosh, did a West fan just complain about homer refs???? REALLY????? REALLY???? One of the most notorious teams for homer refs complaining about refs, :lol: :lol: :lol: . When you go to West everyone knows you start out down 7, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: without a doubt one of the funniest post.
Waverly is definitely equivalent of going over into Kentucky or Lawrence county . The referees in pike county definitely call the game differently . I’ve not only heard this from west fans but from the perspective of a lot of other SOC fans.

"Everyone has a plan until you get punched in the mouth" - Mike Tyson
VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

First off I'm not a fan of Waverly nor am I from Waverly. Just wondering, what do you do if you can't catch that speed to be able to hit it hard play after play?

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

SiderBlood wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:19 pm
Waverly is definitely equivalent of going over into Kentucky or Lawrence county . The referees in pike county definitely call the game differently . I’ve not only heard this from west fans but from the perspective of a lot of other SOC fans.
Don't leave out scioto county. That's funny like everyone in SOC compared notes, LOL. Didn't expect you to just say well us West fans think, our refs are totally fair and everyone else hoses us.

SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

VetteMan wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:36 pm

First off I'm not a fan of Waverly nor am I from Waverly. Just wondering, what do you do if you can't catch that speed to be able to hit it hard play after play?
Unless they are scoring every single play, Being hit hard is going to come . So besides scoring in 4-6 plays , it will start to add up. Not to mention I think you take it as much physically trying to tackle Hurd/Berry and the crowd as much as you would getting tackled. They make you think about it , if you want to wrap up or not they are that physical . I Do think that is what it will come do. Within the past ten years I’m not sure if waverly has more than 2 wins against west. I can only think of one. if somebody knows differently . A lot of good games but going to the history books the physicality of West usually shows.

SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

greygoose wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:54 pm

Don't leave out scioto county. That's funny like everyone in SOC compared notes, LOL. Didn't expect you to just say well us West fans think, our refs are totally fair and everyone else hoses us.
Just what I’ve heard ALOT over the years from ALOT of different fans.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Going back to 2012 these 2 teams have played each other within 1 score and couple games that were decided by just 1-3 points.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

SiderBlood wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:14 am
greygoose wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:54 pm

Just what I’ve heard ALOT over the years from ALOT of different fans.
Like I said no difference in scioto county teams, especially West.

14U
S

Post by 14U »

Proud_Pirate63 wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:44 pm
MasterOfNone wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:32 pm I will be curious to see how the Tigers respond after Friday. The burg game was ugly. They rely on a lot of younger guys so hopefully they don't hang their heads after that loss. Everything that could have went wrong for the Tigers against burg did. I honestly don't think they could have played any worse, they are much better than how they played last Friday IMO. But a good bit of that credit goes to burg, they are a really good team and showed up to play. I think if Shoemaker doesn't fumble it on the first play, the game goes a little differently. Still don't think the Tigers would have won, but it wouldn't have been such a beating.

But it's time to turn the page and look forward to Week 8. I think this game could go either way. If I am West I am pounding the ball all night long. Waverly has shown no real answer for the run game all year. They do make adjustments throughout the game tho, such as bringing Snodgrass in to help on D against Valley and they started playing 4 D-Lineman in the second half against burg. If West wants to win, that's how they will do it. If I'm Waverly, I would load that box up with 8 or 9 and dare them to throw it. The Tigers have very good DBs, and I would trust them one on one with whoever West puts out there. Idk if what I was looking at was accurate, but one of the box scores I saw for the West/Minford game was that West only had 1 yard passing? If so, that's something you don't see much anymore lol. But Waverly has the ability to score in bunches and in a hurry. They have a ton of speed in all positions and can beat you in many different ways. I see this one being a close, high scoring affair. On a side note, how is West's special teams? That could be a factor as well. Waverly has been very good in that aspect of the game all year. Shoemaker has the ability to take the distance every time he is given an opportunity to return a kick. Just something to keep an eye on.
I think West only attempted 3 passes the entire Minford game. They didn’t need to pass. West will really shorten this game with long, time consuming drives that will take them to victory.
West didn’t need to pass with the push up front from the Big Uglies. West runningsbacks weren’t getting touched until 5 yards.

14U
S

Post by 14U »

West Side Pride wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:32 pm

"If I was Waverly I'd put 8 or 9 in the box" That's prolly why your in the stands, sorry I'm not trying to be smart but I'd say Waverly's staff is
smarter than that. You would get screened to death.
U put 8-9 in box when west passes, I’ve watched this year is down the line with one man to beat!! Haven’t seen west in 3 games go downfield much just down the line of scrimmage

MasterOfNone
All Conference

Post by MasterOfNone »

What is West like on D? Will they pin their ears back and try to get to the QB or play more coverage? Man or Zone? What about against the run?
Just haven't heard much about that side of the ball.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

MasterOfNone wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:47 am What is West like on D? Will they pin their ears back and try to get to the QB or play more coverage? Man or Zone? What about against the run?
Just haven't heard much about that side of the ball.
West is very physical up front. Against Minford they pinned their ears back and went after the QB. Especially after Minford's starting RB went down with a knee injury. Minford's O line did however do a good job of keeping their QB upright but there were MANY missed passing opportunities.

West isnt extremely quick up front, but they play with a mean streak and are physical. Tough to run between the tackles against them. If Waverly is going to move the ball, they need to be able to seal off the end and take it wide or have a big night throwing the ball on West.

footballelite
Riding the Bench

Post by footballelite »

I have watched West vs Minford and Waverly vs Wheelersburg. I will take Waverly 35-21.

Sports-nut
JV Team

Post by Sports-nut »

I believe all SOC school use the same scheduler who happens to be a Scioto County resident

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Sports-nut wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:41 pm

I believe all SOC school use the same scheduler who happens to be a Scioto County resident
No Pike County refs that I know of. We get homored at home, lol.

West Side Pride
All Conference

Post by West Side Pride »

greygoose wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:16 am Going back to 2012 these 2 teams have played each other within 1 score and couple games that were decided by just 1-3 points.

Thanks! 1 loss going back to 2008. That's why Vegas has 1/2 points cause a win is a win. Doesn't matter the score Greydude.... I believe Waverly,
as possibly even the better team will find a way to loose. More than likely they'll quit as I've seen several times in the past and West will not.

toast
All State

Post by toast »

Hard to make a legitimate case that Waverly has quit lately against West. At least not in the last 6 games these two teams have played. Waverly won 19-6 two years ago. West last five wins against Waverly have been by 4 points, 3 points, 1 point, 6 points and 1 point.

Don't know what will transpire this Friday but you won't see any quit in this group of Tigers. A relatively young group but a gritty tough group for sure. I like our chances. Go Tigers!
Last edited by toast on Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Football”