Article:McComb 39 Arlington 12

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Article:McComb 39 Arlington 12

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Last night I made my way to Arlington, Ohio to catch the game between McComb(4-0) and Arlington(4-0).
This was my first trip to Arlington and my first time seeing both teams play. As I watched the teams warm up, I easily could see that this was going to be speed vs Brawn. The Panthers are more of the speed team, while the home team, the Red Devils the bigger team.

Arlington started their first drive on their five yard line and on the first play from scrimmage, a swing pass loss four yards. Disaster really struck on the next play, when a host of Panthers, led by Brandon Hall threw down the Red Devil ball carrier down in the end zone for a safety, making this a 2-0 game, in favor of McComb.

On the ensuing kick by Arlington, Tanner Schroeder put the ball on the ground and coming up with it was Ty Webb, of the Red Devils.
The McComb defense would rise to the occasion and hold the Red Devils to 5 yards, after the fumble and force a punt, after they ran just three plays.

The Panthers would convert a fourth and three, when Tyler Durfey somehow caught a pop up like throw from Schroeder, with 5:42 left in the first quarter. The Panthers would get the first touchdown of the game, when Jacob Dillon plowed in from a yard out. Schroeder used a strong left to convert the point over, to make this a 9-0 game, with 5:31 showing on the clock. The drive lasted for 6 plays, while totaling 86 yards.

This became a 15-0 game, after Kheaghan Loe made like Ezekiel Elliott and outran everyone for a 50 yard run on a simple sweep like play. The point after was true and this was a 16-0 game, with 3:41 still left in the quarter.

The Arlington defense who had barely got a chance to get off the field was right back on it, with 2:03 left in the quarter, when Ryan Metzger teamed up with Tyson Speyer to put Schroeder down for a 3 yard loss, on the biggest hit of the game at this point.

The Red Devils offense would get a nice 16 yard run from Evan O’Rear this was the third positive play in a row by the home team and just when it looked like the offense was getting something going, bad luck stuck on the very next play. The Red Devils would put the ball on the ground and scooping it up for the Panthers was, Eli Franks, who then took the ball to the Red Devils 37 yard line,with 11:21 left in the half.

McComb needed just 4 plays to go the 37 yards needed for their next score. The score came on a long pass from Schroeder to a wide opened Robert O’dell. Schroeder then connected on the point after kick, making this a 23-0 game, with 9:24 left. Schroeder had shown to be a multiple weapon for the Panthers, as he used his arm and legs from the quarterback slot to easily lead his squad downfield and he used a powerful foot to hit point after kicks and pin the Red Devils deep in their own territory on kickoffs.

The Red Devil disastrous half continued, when they put the ball on the ground again the Panthers came out of the pile with the ball, on the Red Devils 19 yard line. The Red Devils were let off the hook after Schroeder missed a 36 yard field goal, with the wind blowing like this game was being played in Chicago.

The Red Devils finally got on the scoreboard, after a 75 yard catch and run from Ryan Metzger, who caught a nice pass thrown by Jacob Russell. The point after kick failed, leaving this a 23-6 game, with 6:14 left.

On the ensuing kickoff Tyler Durfey took the ball close to 75 yards all the way to the Red Devils 12 yard line.
The Red Devils defense led by Metzger and Ty Webb got to Loe for a 4 yard loss, but the Panthers shook off the negative play and make this a 26-6 game, on a 25 yard field goal by Schroeder.

With 2:01 left Russell had his pass blocked by Tristan Sherick, who nearly picked it off. The 5-9 190 pound Freshman showed some agility on this play. Russell would be picked off a short time later by Aaron Davis.

The half would have one more turnover in it before ending, when O’Rear fumbled the ball away to the Panthers Kyle Wasson.
The teams entered the locker rooms, with the Panthers leading 26-6 and the large crown a little stunned.

The Panthers offense wasted no time getting busy after coming out of the locker room.
Loe would pick up 36 yards to set up his own 9 yard score, with only :58 seconds gone off of the clock. The point after kick increased the lead to 33-6.

The rest of the third flew by with three plays sticking out to me. At the 5:04 mark Sherick sacked Red Devil quarterback Russell, for a 7 yard loss. The freshman, Sherick looks to have a good career in his future at this level, as he seems to come up big time and time again.
Russell would throw another pick at the 4:01 mark, when Schroder ran and leaped to make the pick. Schroder can do it all for his team, but never showed any hot dog attitude, as he just went about his business in a mature way. The final play came when O’Rear put the ball on the ground and Wasson came up for it, for the Panthers.

The Red Devils got a 36 yard completion from Russell, found a wide opened Metzger to open the final frame.
From there they would turn the ball over, as the Panthers defense dug its claws in and put an end to the drive.

Loe would race in from 13 yards out for another Panthers score to make this a 39-6 game.
The drive totaled 68 yards and needed 8 plays. Loe would end the game with a little over 130 yards rushing. If he ever learns to stop dancing and hit the hole, when going up the gut, he will make this game look like a very average one.

Devin Plunkett would run for a 72 yard pickup to set up the final score of the game, that came on his own 2 yard run, to make the final score 39-12

Before closing, I wanted to say thanks to the gentleman, who took the time to give me a little history on McComb and share some sweet drawings from a local artist. I learn so much, while talking to the fans from all of the games I go to.

Very Unofficial Stats.

McComb
62 Plays
463 Yards
Passing 5-11 1 TD

Arlington
58 plays
371 Yards
Passing 16-28 2 INT’S

Very Unofficial Stats.

McComb
62 Plays