2017 Minford Falcons

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Re: 2017 Minford Falcons

Post by Bleeding Red »

fbnut wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:24 am Minford has been known in the past to play big strong more mature kids at running back in Jr. High knowing that those kids won't be in the backfield in high school. There is nothing wrong with that but it is hard to determine future success when you have 250lb kids trying to be tackled by 100lb kids. Those 250lb kids often end up being 250lb linemen in high school and those 100lb kids end up being 165-185lb skill athletes
Totally agree with your point on putting the big kids in the backfield, but this class at Minford threw the ball A LOT.

In the few games I watched, I was really amazed how well the receivers ran routes, how they tracked down the ball and the zip from the QB's arm.

Granted a lot can change in a few years, but their fundamentals looked outstanding and that can be built upon. If these Freshman can contribute, I hope they get some playing time. If they cant make a big impact its better to let them play JV and not throw them to the wolves and break their confidence.

FalconFever02
Freshman Team

Post by FalconFever02 »

If there's a freshman who can throw the ball accurately and set his feet, etc etc . Let it rip and play the young buck.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

toast wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:52 am "Burgs last year seniors junior high team won maybe 2 games in junior high and the juniors last year weren't that much better. There is no indication of success as high schoolers from a junior high football team. When they are big and strong, it probably means they are older or hit puberty."

Waverly's seniors last year were one of the strongest groups we've had come through in many years. I'll check but I believe Burg beat them in both 7th and 8th grade. This years seniors are also a strong group for Waverly. They did beat Burg in OT in 7th grade and then got shoutout by Burg in 8th grade.

Those are the best back to back classes Waverly has had come through in quite a while and the reason we went 9-1 and made the playoffs last year. Those same two classes from Wheelersburg were pretty darn good!

Valley recently had a class come through that dominated in Jr. high. I don't believe they lost a game. They went on to win the SOC a couple times while in high school. Of course you can find exceptions. And to be fair you would probably have to look at three or four classes in a row to gage high school success. But quality of players and success at the Jr. high level does matter.

Back to the original thought. Minford has several high quality football players in the freshman class. They will make a huge impact. Numbers are low for that group so they will need significant help from the classes around them. It will be interesting watching them proceed through high school. They're good on the basketball court as well.
This kind of proves my point. You can't judge anything from a junior high team. Minfords QB last year for eighth grade was a gun slinger but I've been told that he's old for his grade, which makes a difference. I'm not sure who will fill the role but if he's the best option then you have to go with him.

Oak
Freshman Team

Post by Oak »

Wheelersburg with the Pre K had kids a year older than most others for years. When some other schools had kids stay back and repeat a grade (basically putting them on par age wise), it became the reason they were good. Not that they were good athletes.

Hitman74
Waterboy

Post by Hitman74 »

I saw on the school web site the names of the coaching staff and it looks like only three from last years staff is still here.

JTEK
All State

Post by JTEK »

Oak wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:44 pm Wheelersburg with the Pre K had kids a year older than most others for years. When some other schools had kids stay back and repeat a grade (basically putting them on par age wise), it became the reason they were good. Not that they were good athletes.
Don't forget pre 1st :D

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Oak wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:44 pm Wheelersburg with the Pre K had kids a year older than most others for years. When some other schools had kids stay back and repeat a grade (basically putting them on par age wise), it became the reason they were good. Not that they were good athletes.
Good grief. There's an age limit the ohsaa sets. Burg has had one losing season since at least the seventies and that season they lost in playoffs. Are you going to make the claim that they were held back then? The majority of burg athletes graduate at the age of 18.

Oak
Freshman Team

Post by Oak »

Because you're the one talking about these other kids being older. In a time when 2 parents have to work to make it lots of kids are starting school early to basically have a babysitter. That extra year in school has them graduate at 18/19 instead of 17/18 which is a huge difference.

JTEK
All State

Post by JTEK »

Oak wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:09 am Because you're the one talking about these other kids being older. In a time when 2 parents have to work to make it lots of kids are starting school early to basically have a babysitter. That extra year in school has them graduate at 18/19 instead of 17/18 which is a huge difference.
You can hold a kid back at anytime in grade school.

toast
All State

Post by toast »

You can hold a kid back at anytime in grade school.
[/quote]

Not necessarily true. Some schools won't allow it without their permission.

Starting a little later in school or being held back is a HUGE advantage in high school sports especially football. I think everyone knows it a common practice at some schools in southern Ohio and one of the reasons (along with several others) that they have a high rate of success.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Holding kids back sound like where the name dumb jock came from.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

toast wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:38 pm You can hold a kid back at anytime in grade school.

Starting a little later in school or being held back is a HUGE advantage in high school sports especially football. I think everyone knows it a common practice at some schools in southern Ohio and one of the reasons (along with several others) that they have a high rate of success.
[/quote]

Wow! Can someone explain how a parent knows that their son will be great or even play at football at the age of 4,5, and 6? People seem to think that every football player at burg is 19 going on 20 when almost everyone is 18 when they graduate.

Abe Froman
S

Post by Abe Froman »

My understanding (Ohio) is that you can play High School sports up until the day before you turn 20-years old. 20, think about that 20.

So a talented 14-year old freshman that starts on maybe not so great of a team can play against maybe multiple players that are days away from being 20 years old. Again, 20. That's right 20.

Insane rule in my opinion if I understand the rule correctly from the OHSAA.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

Abe Froman wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:38 pm My understanding (Ohio) is that you can play High School sports up until the day before you turn 20-years old. 20, think about that 20.

So a talented 14-year old freshman that starts on maybe not so great of a team can play against maybe multiple players that are days away from being 20 years old. Again, 20. That's right 20.

I think that's true but that issue is with the ohsaa not the kids or school

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

toast wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:38 pm You can hold a kid back at anytime in grade school.

[/quote]
I agree I know for a fact burg has told kids parents in the past that they would not allow there child to to held back

Abe Froman
S

Post by Abe Froman »

fbnut wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:46 pm
Abe Froman wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:38 pm My understanding (Ohio) is that you can play High School sports up until the day before you turn 20-years old. 20, think about that 20.

I agree that why I said it was an insane rule.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

Abe Froman wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:00 pm

Your in the minority , most want to blame the kid, the parent, the school or all three

Abe Froman
S

Post by Abe Froman »

fbnut wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:09 pm
Abe Froman wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:00 pm

Your in the minority , most want to blame the kid, the parent, the school or all three

Lol, well it can't be the kid he is being told at some age probably between 5 and 12 that this is what you are doing by the parent. Dad says junior gonna be D1 because he had a couple touchdowns in flag football. So not kids fault.

Most schools simply won't allow much of this after K-1, so not their fault....usually, although I know of some games played in several districts, but typically the procedure is simply not to allow.

So that leave the all knowing, all wise OHSAA who has decided that 14-15 year olds can play contact sports against kids that are 19yrs and 364 days old.

BondRoad Bandit
Freshman Team

Post by BondRoad Bandit »

I believe the coaching staff is

Ruby, Tyler Gaines, Luke Keller, Tre Wilds, Scott Caudill, Tony Simpson and Glenn Lewis

Hitman74
Waterboy

Post by Hitman74 »

Just talk to someone close to the program they said that Simpson and Frazie has been on staff for the last 9 or 10 seasons and that Ruby brought Caudill, Lewis, Gains, and Suter up from the Jr High Staff, Keller and Wilds just got done playing college football.

Return to “Football”